PDA

View Full Version : In-Line Industries / Ridge Carbide Table Saw Blade Question?

richard poitras
10-08-2013, 8:53 PM
In-Line Industries makers of the Dubby sled sells table saw blades on their web site.
I was wondering if anyone has used any of these blades and what your thoughts are? They do support a premium price but are they any better than some of the other premium blade on the market?

Also if you have used them what ones are you using?

Thanks Richard

glenn bradley
10-08-2013, 11:20 PM
I've seen a few folks post about Ridge cutters and all were favorable. At that price I would give Carbide Processors (http://www.carbideprocessors.com/carbide-processors/worlds-best-saw-blades/)' blades a look. Also American made and they have become my go-to supplier.

joe maday
10-09-2013, 12:27 AM
I have a few of their blades and they work well, as good as, or better (better in my opinion) than Forrest blades. But more personable service...small operation, Made in USA, fast turn around for sharpening. You can order directly from Ridge...Speak to John, owner and operator, and will spend time with you to answer any questions.

scott spencer
10-09-2013, 12:13 PM
"Internet fact" has it on good authority that Ridge Carbide was founded by disgruntled Forrest employees. The two companies are in close proximity in NJ. The TS2000 is every bit the equal of the Forrest (some would argue better), and definitely has larger carbide....their claim is 35% larger. The configuration is a little different in that it has some flat top raker teeth mixed in with a majority of standard ATB teeth, helping it rip a tad more efficiently and leaves shallower "bat ears" ....the Forrest uses a standard ATB grind. Ridge Carbide is also rumored to sharpen to 1200 grit. It's an excellent general purpose blade IMO.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/Saw%20Blades/TS2000-1-1.jpg

Erik Loza
10-09-2013, 1:20 PM
I am pretty sure that I used a Ridge blade on our of our CU300's many years ago. It's been a while but I think I got the blade from them at one of the trade shows (which were both doing at the time). Did not cut a whole lot with it but it peformed well and I would have no qualms about buying one of the price were fair. It did seem very high quality to me. Good luck.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Howard Acheson
10-09-2013, 1:52 PM
The principals of Ridge Table Saw Blades were part of Forrest Blades. They left Forrest eight to ten year ago to go out on their own. Their blades have a good reputation and seem to compare favorably with Forrest and other Premium blades.

richard poitras
10-09-2013, 8:11 PM
Glenn I have read positive reviews for ceramic tip blades but have never tried one.

Joe, good to hear someone with first hand knowledge and use of these and a comparison to Forrest. (That I know gets good review as well)

Scott, I have read the same facts that you stated except the one about employees going off on their own.

Eric, also thanks for your comments about the blades.

Howard, sounds like you and Scott are on the same page about the employees.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Thanks for the info guys I have been looking for a new couple of blades for this year’s woodworking season.
I think I may have to give them a try.

Richard

richard poitras
10-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Well my decision just got a lot easier as WoodPecker just sent me an e-mail with the blades on sale for $79.00 so I just ordered one.

Erik Christensen
10-10-2013, 3:14 PM
I have been running ridge carbide blades almost exclusively for 3+ years. Best blades I have used by far - the only time I take them off is if I am ripping recycled lumber and don't want to break a tooth on embedded metal. I have both 10" rip and plywood blades for my TS and a 12" blade for my delta turret RAS. I like the fact that it is a 100% US made product that is world class quality - I like to reward US manufacturers with my $$ and will even pay a bit more as long as they make great stuff. They also do a fabulous job on sharpening and my festool blades come back as sharp as they were new. Their steel blanks are higher quality and flatter than many use so they run quiet & true. But the best thing about them to me is because they make everything in-house they can customize stuff really quickly. My first blade with them was a 12" fine cutoff for my RAS - I needed a 12" blade with 5/8" arbor (not common in that size), a high tooth count and negative hook angle - when I called Ridge Carbide (after calling a number of other places to no avail) and told them what I was looking for the only reply I got was "3 days & X$ - you want one?"

cool folks and great products made here in the US - think Lie Neilsen of carbide

Ron Kellison
10-10-2013, 8:57 PM
I have a Ridge TS2000 for my tablesaw and a Forrest Chopmaster for my 10" slider. Both are excellent blades and do a wonderful job. I reserve the Ridge for cuts where the finish quality needs to be as good as it can be. My routine, always on the saw, blade is an old Systematic 50-tooth combo blade. I had it sharpened last year by a local outfit that really know what they're doing and it now does 90% of the tablesaw work.

Several companies make a really good/great blade. The real secret to blade happiness is to start with a good blade and find a great sharpener! The latter is much more difficult!