PDA

View Full Version : Aigner Integral Fence on Hammer B3 Shaper

Ed Weiser
10-08-2013, 7:29 PM
I'm looking to upgrade the shaper fence on my Hammer B3 Winner Comfort. The fence supplied by Hammer/Felder is their 220 model. The Felder 240 fence accepts the Aigner Integral Fence (model 214223000193) without modification. Has anyone added this fence to the 220 fence on the Hammer B3 or F3? Thanks.

David Kumm
10-08-2013, 8:12 PM
The Aigner is almost too big for the 240 fence. It fits but the thickness of the face means that even on a Felder you might need to drill new holes for the fence and use full 1.25" bore 4-7" cutters. If you use smaller diameter cutters on the Hammer, you won't get the real benefit of the fence. The Hammer isn't ideal for large heavy heads. Dave

David Hawxhurst
10-08-2013, 8:16 PM
i would ask over at the felder owners group (yahoo group) or call your hammer salesman and ask. i have the 240 hood w/stock fence as well as the aigner, so no help there.

Erik Loza
10-09-2013, 9:33 AM
I agree with Dave on this: It's not a knock against the machine, just that that level of shaper was not designed to have a fence so large. I would not advise, for example, an owner to put Aigner plates on one of our Smart or Classic series (about the same, size-wise, as your Hammer). The issue is that the Aigner plates are super-thick and while yes, you might be able to physically bolt them onto the hood, they would greatly reduce the effective tooling diameter you could use on the machine. You need a big hood with lots of room for the Aigners to work. These pics might better illustrate the difference in thickness between your standard ply or "thin" Alu plates and the Aigners....

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Mini%20Max%20Combo%20Seminars/Settingupforcopestick2-1.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Mini%20Max%20Shaper%20Projects/Raisingpanelfinalpass.jpg

Hope this helps,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Stephen Cherry
10-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Panel raising without a feeder? Scares the bejebbers out of me. I'd rather have a $999 griz feeder using a home made fence than no feeder and a $2000 (?) fence any day for this sort of thing, but maybe that's just me though.