PDA

View Full Version : Can you make a scrub plane out of a regular

Alan Tolchinsky
06-01-2005, 4:01 PM
jack plane by altering the iron shape? I have a couple of old planes I'd like to do this with but I'm not sure what other characteristics a scrub plane has. Thanks for any ideas. Alan in Md.

Robert Weber
06-01-2005, 4:08 PM
is all you need. Old jacks, esp. woodies, make great scrubs...

John Keeling
06-01-2005, 4:09 PM
A thick blade would help too...

Steve Wargo
06-01-2005, 4:18 PM
I use an old Stanley Handymand. $2 at flea market. Orginal blade, and shaped on a grinder. A little honing and it was good to go. THe moth was already so wide, I didn't even have to file it.

Tim Sproul
06-01-2005, 4:40 PM
Hmmmm...

You go and drop a few $ on a Lie Nielsen block plane....but you don't want to spend $60 or so for a really good ECE scrub (Lee Valley) or $100 for the new Veritas scrub?

Hmmmmmmmm.......... :)

Alan Tolchinsky
06-01-2005, 4:58 PM
grinding this at? Do you hone this blades with a microbevel? Probably not I guess but what do I know? And Tim that sounds like a really cool scrub plane but if I can convert what I have to a scrub I have other planes in my dreams I'd rather buy. :) Alan

Steve Wargo
06-01-2005, 6:02 PM
Hmmmm...

You go and drop a few $ on a Lie Nielsen block plane....but you don't want to spend $60 or so for a really good ECE scrub (Lee Valley) or $100 for the new Veritas scrub?

Hmmmmmmmm.......... :)

Tim,
What exactly makes a really good scrub plane? :confused:

Michael Perata
06-01-2005, 9:52 PM
Think maybe Tim has too many wooden planes and is little envious of those willing to get the better precision iron planes made by L-N and LV. :p

Roy Wall
06-01-2005, 10:02 PM
on a side note......

LV has their new scrub at introductory price of $79

Richard Gillespie
06-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Okay, let's talk about the cheap way. Defiance produced a plane, model 1244, that has a fixed blade to mouth set, wide open. This was a Stanley #3 imitation. Grinding this plane to a 3" radius produces a very workable scrub plane. The blade is only 1-3/4" wide so that also very suitable to working as a scrub plane. Since this is not considered a collectible plane, it goes for a very low price on Ebay.

I had two of them but turned around and sold one of those on Ebay.

Tim Sproul
06-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Think maybe Tim has too many wooden planes and is little envious of those willing to get the better precision iron planes made by L-N and LV. :p

Hey. I have LN's butt mortise plane and their version of the #66 beader.

I have LV's LA smoother (the original version with milled sides and no mouth screw stop), LA jack and scraper plane.....

Now maybe some fellow with a complicated contraption of an electron eating saw, shaper, jointer, planer thing-a-ma-jibber is a bit envious of those willing to engross themselves in woodworking.... :p

<Tim pulls down the bookmarks menu and rapidly deletes any evidence of electron burning envy by deleting links to MiniMax and SCMI> :eek:

Tom Saurer
06-02-2005, 1:39 PM
You can do the above and it will be a workable scrub plane. One other item that most scrub planes have is a thicker blade, that allows for heavier stock removal.

Richard Niemiec
06-02-2005, 1:55 PM
I took an old tired Stanley #5 that had lost most of its japaning and had some pitting on the sole, filed the mouth open a bit, and reground the iron convex, making the width of the "working" end of the iron that would stick out of the mouth about 2 inches, don't know what type of angle I used for the grind, but it was likely about 18 degrees or so; I hone it with a diamond hone stick, works just fine and gets the job done. Suggestions for reworking a #3 sound good to me as well, as its a bit lighter than a #5.

Rich