PDA

View Full Version : good quality foam brushes

Anthony Diodati
10-08-2013, 4:37 PM
I heard the best way to apply water base poly is a foam brush. I got something like 8 in a pack for a dollar at the dollar store, but did not get very good results.
Is there good quality foam brushes, verses cheap ones, or would they all be about the same?
Thanks,
Tony

Bruce Page
10-08-2013, 5:05 PM
IMO, there's a big performance difference between the cheap coarse foam brushes, (usually with blue plastic handles) and good foam brushes. I buy them from a local Sherwin-Williams paint store. I have also found them at Lowes from time to time. They have wooden handles and a smoother, less porous foam.
But, you won't find them 8 for a buck.

Sam Murdoch
10-08-2013, 5:09 PM
Protect the sharp edge. Don't just toss them all akimbo in a box or they become useless.

Akimbo - fun word I never get to use :D

Anthony Diodati
10-08-2013, 6:01 PM
was reading these are good, any experience?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002N6GB/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=H40VTA6OO7VC&coliid=IM057ATZAHUF6

Ernie Miller
10-08-2013, 10:47 PM
+1 for Jen brushes (http://www.hofcraft.com/JEN-Foam-Brushes.html). Been using them for years and I've never found a better one. Also much less expensive than the Borg.

Anthony Diodati
10-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Thanks Ernie, Think I'll try them out.

Jason Roehl
10-09-2013, 8:27 AM
"Good foam brush" is an oxymoron. Get a good nylon bristle brush for waterborne poly, and clean it well immediately after use. You'll get a long, long life out of it.

Rich Engelhardt
10-09-2013, 8:38 AM
"Good foam brush" is an oxymoron.LOL!
Couldn't agree more ;).
Some people swear by them though.

Anthony Diodati
10-09-2013, 1:53 PM
"Good foam brush" is an oxymoron. Get a good nylon bristle brush for waterborne poly, and clean it well immediately after use. You'll get a long, long life out of it.

LOL!
Couldn't agree more ;).
Some people swear by them though.

Yeah, I can't really say, but I was going to say also, that some people swear by them.
I think I would like to try them.

Anthony Diodati
10-09-2013, 1:59 PM
Do you know if these brush's Rockler sells are good ones for shellac?
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18536&site=ROCKLER

Jason Roehl
10-10-2013, 9:47 AM
Do you know if these brush's Rockler sells are good ones for shellac?
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18536&site=ROCKLER

I use synthetic bristle brushes for shellac with no problems. They can be cleaned with ammonia and water then (though a quick, initial rinse in a little alcohol helps).

Oh, and I figure "foam brush" has a doubly-appropriate name--for what it's made of, and what it does...

Ernie Miller
10-10-2013, 6:47 PM
Oh, and I figure "foam brush" has a doubly-appropriate name--for what it's made of, and what it does...

Not if you use it correctly.

Mark Engel
10-10-2013, 6:53 PM
I'll add one more positive vote for the Jen foam brushes. Good quality for a decent price.

Anthony Diodati
10-10-2013, 8:57 PM
I just ordered a few from Klingspor.
They are the Jen foam brushes.

Anthony Diodati
10-11-2013, 10:32 AM
also got this badger brush for shellac.
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/search.aspx?q=+BADGER+BRUSH+3+

Michael Heffernan
10-11-2013, 1:16 PM
+2 for Jen foam brushes. Tried them all, I think, and Jen's hold up the best. The plastic tongue inside extends far into the foam pad, making it more rigid and easier to apply the finish. The foam also stays on the handle, unlike some of the others I've used.

adam robinson
10-15-2013, 1:42 PM
Our painter using synthetic bristle brushes for painting because right now they are paint my house with these brushes & says me it's better!!

Anthony Diodati
10-15-2013, 2:43 PM
+2 for Jen foam brushes. Tried them all, I think, and Jen's hold up the best. The plastic tongue inside extends far into the foam pad, making it more rigid and easier to apply the finish. The foam also stays on the handle, unlike some of the others I've used.

Yeah, but my thing is, do the better foam brushes let the finish flow out better with out streaks and lines in the finish?
That is the problem I was having with the dollar store brushes.

Ole Anderson
10-15-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm sorry, I just can't bring myself to use a foam brush. If I am painting a nasty chassis paint or other oil paint (usually something on the Jeep) and need a disposable brush, I just buy the cheapest bristle brush I can find, usually about a buck apiece. Sometimes sold as chip brushes. For latex I use a Sherwin Williams pro contractor brush, about $15, and take care of it. Same with rollers, buy a good one and clean and reuse it. Most of my woodworking finishes are now wiped on with a blue shop towel or a cotton pad. Stain and thinned varnish are my materials of choice. If I am going full varnish, it gets a good bristle brush which gets cleaned and reused.

Sam Murdoch
10-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Foam brushes are excellent for varnish or Waterlox in my experience. I am a big proponent of expensive good natural and synthetic bristles, which I care for and maintain assiduously, but foam brushes do have their place.