PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Identifying/Repairing Drywall Texture

Todd Willhoit
10-08-2013, 1:09 PM
We are in the process of repainting some rooms in our home. In one of the rooms the previous owner apparently had dark colored walls splattered with some other thickened paint to create an "artsy" look. Unfortunately, when they put it on the market, their remedy to make it saleable was to throw on a very uneven coat of semi-gloss white. To top it off, they filled tiny nail holes with 2" diameter circles of spackle applied with a putty knife and also used it to try to hide wall anchors sitting proud.

In attempt to rectify the situation I began to carefully peel off the thick spots under the white coat. Surprisingly, I was able to get quite a bit off in sheets, and my plan was to finish "peeling" the entire wall. Unfortunately, some of the underlying texture came off in a 4"x5" area. I expect I may have the same problem in other areas. Here is the bare patch, and another shot of the texture.

Does anyone have any input on correcting this finish? What is the name of this type of texture? Can it be re-textured DIY? Can I scrape off all of the texture and have a flat wall? (The original drywall installer did not fill and level the hammer marks so doing this would kill two birds.) Any other ideas?

Todd

Mel Fulks
10-08-2013, 1:45 PM
My guess is that is the work of a prison trained interior decorator or the result of a fraternity party food fight. If they didn't fill the dimples they they probably didn't use any adhesive either. Fastest way to fix is rip it out. Be glad it's just one room!

Todd Burch
10-08-2013, 2:06 PM
Hi Todd!

That's a rolled texture (not sprayed, not hawked, not knocked down). Perhaps whoever rolled the texture did not remove the sanding dust from the taping job. I would be guessing at the the length of the nap if I even dared to say. Peel as much as you can and start over.

Todd

Todd Willhoit
10-08-2013, 11:29 PM
Thanks guys. Good info.

@Mel - If it were just one room, I would be happy. Unfortunately, I suspect it is the entire house. What with the poor spackle job, I have at least two other rooms to clean up.

@Todd - This place is about 2 minutes from your old house. Rolled texture...good to know! Until I saw what was under the paint, I thought it might be the paint itself. Starting over is the plan. I want to do it right. By the way, you moved too soon. We now have a Harbor Freight at Mason & I-10.

I have zero drywall experience. I assume I can: 1) Peel the old paint, 2) Scrape off the old texture (Maybe 1 & 2 at the same time??) 3) Fix the dimples, seams, nail holes, corners, etc. 4) and then re-roll the texture. Any suggestions for preparing the mud for the texture?

Mel Fulks
10-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Gosh, I thought it was just one room! Good luck,maybe it will get easier as you go.

John Pratt
10-09-2013, 9:42 AM
It is hard to tell from the picture, but there is a chance that is the paint and not drywall compound. If thick paint is applied with a very rough nap roller, the same effect can be acheived. If the drywall compound was not applied properly and then not wiped down after sanding, this could explain why it is peeling. when you peel the paint is there joint compound stuck to the paint in all areas? Good luck trying to strip all that off, that is not a job I would relish.

Todd Willhoit
10-13-2013, 4:33 PM
In the first picture, the area to the left, below, and to the lower right of the smooth spot has at least three coats of paint, the most recent of which is a semi-gloss white. The area above and to the upper right of the smooth spot is where I was able to peel off the paint. This is what appears to be the rolled-on texture. It is grayish in color, "flat" in appearance, and looks like the same material as the smooth area which I suspect is a skim coat.

If the texture peeled off that easily with the paint, what are the chances that I can get a good scraper and scrape the entire wall, getting under the paint AND the texture? Or, would it be better to peel the paint and then try to re-texture where the texture comes off?

I definitely welcome any other input before I go headlong into something I will regret. :confused: