PDA

View Full Version : Specs on this Computer.

Clarence Martin
10-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Found this while looking at new computers.

Features:

Get fast performance with the 3.5GHz AMD FX-6300 6-Core processor
Enjoy solid gameplay and great visual effects with the discrete Radeon HD 7770 graphics

Includes:

Computer tower
Mouse
Keyboard
Power Cable

Color: Black with blue accents
Lifestyle:

Gaming
Home
Student

Operating system: Windows 8 (64-bit)
Processor: AMD FX-6300 6-Core Processor
CPU Speed: 3.5GHz
CPU Max. Turbo Frequency: 4.1GHz
Total memory: 8 GB
Maximum memory supported: 32GB
Hard drive capacity: 1 TB
Hard drive interface: SATA 3
Drive information: Blu-ray ROM / DVD&plsumn;RW Combo Drive. Reads Blu-ray discs, reads and writes DVDs and CDs
Display interfaces: DVI-I, HDMI, 2x Mini DisplayPort
Audio systems: High Definition 7.1-Channel Sound
LAN Data rate speed (Wired): 10/100/1000 mbps
Wireless (WiFi) type: 802.11 b/g/n
Available ports: 1 PS/2 Keyboard / Mouse combo port, 4 USB 3.0 ports, 5 USB 2.0 ports, Audio Panel, DVI port, HDMI port, 2x Mini DisplayPorts, LAN (RJ-45) port
Keyboard type: Standard
Mouse type:

Optical mouse
3-button
Wheel

Dimensions: 7.5" W x 17.0" H x 19.2" D
Weight: 27
Warranty: 1 Year Parts and Labor

Does that sound good for an average , everyday computer ?

Thanks,

Dan Hintz
10-08-2013, 1:09 PM
I'd be happy with it for everyday stuff...

Larry Browning
10-08-2013, 1:16 PM
Sounds fine to me. I'd be happy with it. If the price was right anyway. What are they asking for that bad boy?

Myk Rian
10-08-2013, 1:35 PM
Windows 8? I hated it and took one machine back because of that mess. It's ok for a touch screen, but I would never recommend it for a power machine.
Try to get something with Win 7 Pro. I just bought a juiced up machine at Micro Center.

Larry Browning
10-08-2013, 2:01 PM
Windows 8? I hated it and took one machine back because of that mess. It's ok for a touch screen, but I would never recommend it for a power machine.
Try to get something with Win 7 Pro. I just bought a juiced up machine at Micro Center.
I "kinda" disagree. Windows 8 really has a lot more to it other that those silly tiles. I found a small utility program that adds back the full functionality of the start button and lets you boot straight to the desktop. This allows you to pretty much never see those useless tiles. The one I use is called StartIsBack, but there are others. This one utility changed my mind about Windows 8. Before StartIsBack, I was like you Myk, I hated it and wanted it off my machine, but after it, I really do like it.
But all this is getting off topic. We need Clarence to tell us how much this computer costs.

BTW: The start button in Windows 8.1 is not a full restoration of the start button in Windows 7.

Myk Rian
10-08-2013, 3:55 PM
Yes, I also had a desktop shell running. If those tiles are so useless, why use an OS with them in the first place?
But Win 8 kept giving me "Not responding" errors. That was fresh out of the box.

Chuck Wintle
10-08-2013, 4:43 PM
Found this while looking at new computers.

Features:

Get fast performance with the 3.5GHz AMD FX-6300 6-Core processor
Enjoy solid gameplay and great visual effects with the discrete Radeon HD 7770 graphics

Includes:

Computer tower
Mouse
Keyboard
Power Cable

Color: Black with blue accents
Lifestyle:

Gaming
Home
Student

Operating system: Windows 8 (64-bit)
Processor: AMD FX-6300 6-Core Processor
CPU Speed: 3.5GHz
CPU Max. Turbo Frequency: 4.1GHz
Total memory: 8 GB
Maximum memory supported: 32GB
Hard drive capacity: 1 TB
Hard drive interface: SATA 3
Drive information: Blu-ray ROM / DVD&plsumn;RW Combo Drive. Reads Blu-ray discs, reads and writes DVDs and CDs
Display interfaces: DVI-I, HDMI, 2x Mini DisplayPort
Audio systems: High Definition 7.1-Channel Sound
LAN Data rate speed (Wired): 10/100/1000 mbps
Wireless (WiFi) type: 802.11 b/g/n
Available ports: 1 PS/2 Keyboard / Mouse combo port, 4 USB 3.0 ports, 5 USB 2.0 ports, Audio Panel, DVI port, HDMI port, 2x Mini DisplayPorts, LAN (RJ-45) port
Keyboard type: Standard
Mouse type:

Optical mouse
3-button
Wheel

Dimensions: 7.5" W x 17.0" H x 19.2" D
Weight: 27
Warranty: 1 Year Parts and Labor

Does that sound good for an average , everyday computer ?

Thanks,
If you don't need fantastic graphics then the onboard graphics will be ok. The specs other wise look very good except for windows 8, i would change for windows 7 pro if possible. the power supply is a little on the small side as most systems use 500 - 600 w supplies. i like to build my own and install exactly the parts i want...but the one you selected is pretty good for the price it seems. What will your end use be?

Larry Browning
10-08-2013, 6:27 PM
.but the one you selected is pretty good for the price it seems.

the power supply is a little on the small side as most systems use 500 - 600 w supplies.
Did I miss the price quote? And where does it list the power supply specs? Maybe in a post that got removed? Or maybe I'm not seeing it.
BTW: I would think if he can get this for say $500 - $600 or so it would be a good deal. BTW#2: All this Windows 8 bashing, I really think your mileage may vary, depending on how you use it. I hated it at first but now like it quite a bit. It just seems to run snappier. Programs load faster, and it boots WAY faster than Win7. It has some really nice new backup features and a System refresh feature that I really like. I have never experienced any of the crashing and odd behavior that others have. So like I said YMMV.

Chuck Wintle
10-08-2013, 6:36 PM
Did I miss the price quote? And where does it list the power supply specs? Maybe in a post that got removed? Or maybe I'm not seeing it.
BTW: I would think if he can get this for say $500 - $600 or so it would be a good deal. BTW#2: All this Windows 8 bashing, I really think your mileage may vary, depending on how you use it. I hated it at first but now like it quite a bit. It just seems to run snappier. Programs load faster, and it boots WAY faster than Win7. It has some really nice new backup features and a System refresh feature that I really like. I have never experienced any of the crashing and odd behavior that others have. So like I said YMMV.

Larry,

I went to the website for this brand of computer and saw the price being asked for this machine including detailed specs including the PS wattage for this model...i should have mentioned this fact.

Dave Sheldrake
10-08-2013, 7:04 PM
I'd probably bump the memory to 16gig and have an SSD boot drive with the 1tb as storage but other than that not a bad box at all.

cheers

Dave

Ed Aumiller
10-08-2013, 7:22 PM
What is the brand of computer... ???? or website for it ????

Clarence Martin
10-08-2013, 7:54 PM
It's a CybertronPC. Price is $799.99 600 Watt power supply

Larry Browning
10-08-2013, 8:59 PM
It's a CybertronPC. Price is $799.99 600 Watt power supplyAhh, I see. This is the problem I have with this level of a computer. It is just not that much better than a computer half its price. Sure it has a little faster processor and a bigger hard drive and more memory. For the most part those extras won't even be needed. My last computer had a 500gig hard drive and I didn't even use half that. If you are not a real power user I would look at something with a little less features and. A lot more savings.. Just my 2 cents.

Curt Harms
10-09-2013, 7:49 AM
Ahh, I see. This is the problem I have with this level of a computer. It is just not that much better than a computer half its price. Sure it has a little faster processor and a bigger hard drive and more memory. For the most part those extras won't even be needed. My last computer had a 500gig hard drive and I didn't even use half that. If you are not a real power user I would look at something with a little less features and. A lot more savings.. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with Larry. The only reason I can see for honkin' big hard drives is to store lots of media - ripped DVDs, maybe HD videos, hi-res pictures and such. 100 GB will store a lot of text-type files and still pics. BluRay videos? no, only about 4, I think. Take the $ you didn't spend on the PC and spend it on a good data backup plan. 1 or more external hard drives, online backup or whatever. Hardware is relatively easy to replace, things like family photos & videos, financial records etc. may not be.

Larry Browning
10-09-2013, 8:33 AM
Take a look at some of these Dell Computers. I think these are much more practical for an everyday computer. Not very sexy, but are probably a better fit for your needs.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/desktops?ref=tile3#!everyday-desktops

Matt Meiser
10-09-2013, 9:21 AM
That's about what I paid for my Dell laptop including an 8GB Crucial memory upgrade purchased separately and Dell will come to my house and fix it free for the next 3 years.

Agreed on the drive space. I wanted Win7 so I bought a 250GB SSD drive as well (not included in my statement above) and installed Win7 on that. If I ever have a problem I can stick the original drive from Dell back in and revert to the original configuration for Dell to troubleshoot. Its virtually empty as all files in our household are supposed to be on a NAS (if I could just get my daughter to learn that...)

That $529 deal in Larry's link looks like a lot better buy to me. If you chat with Dell Sales, they'll probably beat the advertised prices. My dad and I were both offered about a 10% discount on our machines.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-10-2013, 6:26 PM
Matt,

Thanks for you response earlier about Dell service! I have been having problems and because of the difficulties I experience using the telephone with my CI, I have putting off getting my Dell desktop serviced and it's under contract.

Using Chat I was able to discuss the problem with the Dell customer service and the guy will be out tomorrow or Monday with a new hard drive.

Matt Meiser
10-10-2013, 9:54 PM
Ken, you probably wouldn't be able to understand "Steve" even with perfect hearing. ;) I've been using chat lately for any interaction with Dell and find it works as good or better than a phone call, plus there's a record should one be needed.

Jim Matthews
10-12-2013, 7:49 AM
I'm late to this party, so apologies to the OP if you've already made your purchase.

I now consider PCs to be disposable.
I keep my important files (photos, mostly) on an outboard hard drive.

I use the ASUS Eee box, as it's small and sufficient for my uses - mail and a few websites.

I browse the under $400 items, and try to stay an iteration behind the current Windows products.

In so much as I consider PCs unrepairable, I try to keep the replacement cost down.
I guesstimate the Eee will last about three years, in each instance.

FWIW - I won't try to save a few dollars buying from an unknown maker, anymore.
One too many problems with service, or complete lack of service spoiled that.

NewEgg
TheNerds.Net
Amazon

Have all satisfied my orders in the past.

Myk Rian
10-12-2013, 8:50 AM
Clarence. For 8 bills that is a good machine. No matter Win 8 or not. You can always change that.
But for what is in that machine, it will last you 10 years before it gets old.

Chuck Wintle
10-12-2013, 9:39 AM
Clarence. For 8 bills that is a good machine. No matter Win 8 or not. You can always change that.
But for what is in that machine, it will last you 10 years before it gets old.
i have to agree...if you tried to build one yourself then it will cost more.

Myk Rian
10-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Might I add, get yourself a good monitor with HDMI input. For $200 I bought a nice HP 23".
They don't all come with the HDMI cable, and will sell you one for $50.
Get 6' BlueRigger cables on Eb** or Am***n. 10th the price. Get 20' cables if you want to connect to the TV.

Jerome Stanek
10-12-2013, 1:24 PM
Big lots and dollar general sell Hdmi cables for a lot less

Myk Rian
10-12-2013, 3:30 PM
Big lots and dollar general sell Hdmi cables for a lot less

True. But BlueRigger are high quality cables. Not sure what you would find at the Dollar stores.

John Huds0n
10-12-2013, 4:08 PM
I think you can do better for $800

For example, if you look at the cpu it has a AMD FX-6300 (http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+FX-6300+Six-Core&id=1781) and benchmarks at about 144 in rank with a score of 6395 and is currently selling for $115.

On the other hand, I did a quick search on Costco and found this machine for $799
http://www.costco.com/iBuyPower-Desktop-Intel-Core-i7-3770-3.4GHz-Blu-Ray-Combo.product.100043237.html

It uses a Intel Core i7-3770 (http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3770K+%40+3.50GHz&id=2) which ranks in at number 38 with a score of 9580 and is currently selling for $310 - quite a step up in performance. This machine also has a 2 tb hard drive versus 1 tb, and has 16 gb or ram versus 8 gb. They both use onboard graphics and audio but the iBuyPower from Costco comes with Win7 Home Premium

If your spending $800 - this would be a much better system for the money (imo)

Don't get hung up on the power supply. 300 watts is more than enough in a system like this - especially since it does not have a dedicated graphic card. Here is a calculator to see for your self > http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html

Jerome Stanek
10-12-2013, 6:30 PM
True. But BlueRigger are high quality cables. Not sure what you would find at the Dollar stores.

HDMI cables have to meet certain specs. why are BlueRigger cables so much more. THey did a study and found the cheaper cables work just as well as the expensive ones.

Myk Rian
10-12-2013, 8:13 PM
HDMI cables have to meet certain specs. why are BlueRigger cables so much more.

It's the build quality. BlueRigger are very well made.
I have a couple cheap HDMI cables, and put them away when I bought several BlueRigger. $8 for a 6' cable sure beats the $50 BestBuy would have sold me one for.