PDA

View Full Version : Bucket List - NOT!

Keith Hankins
10-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Ya know I've been doing the woodworking thing for over 35 years. Back in the day I wanted to get good enough to make a grandfather clock. Did not know that was a bucket list item, but hey all I knew was I wanted to do it. Well here I sit, and I'm not so sure I'll ever do one now.

Not because I can't, but I'm thinking why. In today's climate of cell phones being used for time keeping, and alarm clocks, is there a point to having one. I've got a real nice wrist watch, I've not worn in years. They (grandfather clocks) are fading like formal dining rooms in houses under construction now. I don't know even if I made it, if any of the kids would want it.

Any other folks out there have a bucket list item to make and then decided against it. I'm thinking now of changing my clock to a Maloof style rocker as a bucket project.

Jerry Thompson
10-08-2013, 12:01 PM
My wife and I have never made a GF clock. We made 3 1840 Shaker wall clocks as gifts. The recipients where overwhelmed. We got burned out doing the 3 in a short time. We still have 6 to make and willstart again when the FL dries and cools. We put mechanical movements in them. No matter how people tell time to me some methods are iconic.

Brian Tymchak
10-08-2013, 12:02 PM
No harm, no foul in managing the bucket list to match your current mindset.

You cite several practical reasons for not building the clock, but I would recommend the ultimate criteria to be - do you want to do it for your own personal satisfaction? AFAIC, that would trump all other reasons for not doing it.

Steve Peterson
10-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Both a grandfather clock and a Maloof style rocker are on my bucket list. Also, a segmented vase is on my list. I have all the tools and most of the ability to do all of them, just not enough time.

Wrist watches have become less useful nowadays because of all the other clocks around us. A grandfather clock is one more item that reduces the need for a wrist watch.

My bucket list items have evolved over time. Initially, I just wanted to build a wooden clock movement because building the case would be way too difficult. Now that I have better tools, the case is actually the easy part. So my bucket list is to build the entire clock. If it ever makes it to completion, I hope my kids would fight over who gets to keep it.

Steve

Anthony Whitesell
10-08-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm hoping it is not a bucket list item but I originally started acquiring WW tools and knowledge to build a lighthouse shaped corner cabinet for the LOML. I have the design drawn but have not been able to figure out how to drill the shelf pin holes. The issue is the to stiles in the front are on an angle, so I know the holes will not be the same distance apart in the front as they are in the back.

I hope to figure it out and build it for her some day.

Jim Rimmer
10-08-2013, 1:06 PM
My wife and I have never made a GF clock. We made 3 1840 Shaker wall clocks as gifts. The recipients where overwhelmed. We got burned out doing the 3 in a short time. We still have 6 to make and willstart again when the FL dries and cools. We put mechanical movements in them. No matter how people tell time to me some methods are iconic.

I am drawing a blank on FL drying and cooling. What is FL?

David Hawxhurst
10-08-2013, 1:26 PM
think he means florida.

Michael Weber
10-08-2013, 1:36 PM
I was afraid it stood Father In Law:eek:

Larry Browning
10-08-2013, 1:43 PM
Well, let me say this about that. A grandfather clock is a very special thing, the least of which is that it tells the time. As you pointed out in your OP, there are many more accurate and convenient ways of keeping time. This is not the point. I made a grandfather clock for the occasion of my grand daughters adoption into her family. Every piece of wood I cut and shaped for it is special to her and to me. It connects us like nothing else can. It stands predominately in her family's living room and everytime it chimes it reminds the whole family of that very special occasion. She is now 10 and that clock will go with her when she moves away from home. I believe that she will keep it and pass it on to her children as a reminder of me long after I am gone from this earth. I made that clock over 5 years ago and to this day it is still the absolutely most enjoyable project I have ever made.
So just because the utility of a grandfather clock has lessened over the years, the value of having one made with your own hands hasn't diminished one bit.
Here is a link to a web album of my grand daughter's clock (https://plus.google.com/photos/116538662290459313764/albums/5279071916798394945?banner=pwa).

Roy Harding
10-08-2013, 2:01 PM
Larry - that's beautiful work, and an even more beautiful story. How 'bout a picture of the Grand daughter?

Steve Milito
10-08-2013, 2:12 PM
Well, let me say this about that. A grandfather clock is a very special thing, the least of which is that it tells the time. As you pointed out in your OP, there are many more accurate and convenient ways of keeping time. This is not the point.
+1
Nice work, BTW.

Larry Browning
10-08-2013, 2:20 PM
Funny thing is that a GF clock was not on my bucket list when I started it. However, a pool table is. I have wanted to make one ever since I got into woodworking. My problem is that I don't have a place for one at my house. Plus the materials to build one is pretty much out of my budget. So, I have been working on various friends and relatives to talk one of them to let me build one for them as long as they fund the project. No luck yet, but I am working on my lawyer son. Problem is, even though he has room for one, he doesn't play pool. What to do , what to do???

Oh, and BTW: I have no idea what an FL is either or why it needs to be dried and cooled.

Gene Waara
10-08-2013, 3:57 PM
Oh, and BTW: I have no idea what an FL is either or why it needs to be dried and cooled.

I do believe it is his location: FLorida! :D

Wade Lippman
10-08-2013, 5:33 PM

You obviously haven't spent any summer in Florida. It is really rather hellish. I will take snow storms any day.

Brad Cambell
10-08-2013, 6:29 PM
I believe that is the most beautiful Grand Father clock that I have ever seen. You are a master craftsman!!

mike holden
10-08-2013, 6:57 PM
As regards having someone to leave a legacy to, I have none, yet I and my wife enjoy the building and the use of the eighteenth century furniture I build.
It is my hobby, and the enjoyment thereof is it sole justification.
Some here may remember the five spice boxes I made several Christmases ago, only one was appreciated, the others were disappointed that the gift did not have a fancy brand name.
Disappointing yes, but it does leave more time for the things my wife and I want.
Mike

Ed Aumiller
10-08-2013, 8:19 PM
Excellent work on the clock... Would love to try one sometime, but too many other projects ahead of it...

Ole Anderson
10-08-2013, 9:14 PM
A new pool table is on my bucket list too, at least it was until I bought the book on making one. That, my friend, would be a heck of a project and expensive too, as much or more than buying a new decent quality table. Still might tackle it just to keep busy during my retirement. As for the clock, do what you feel is right, for the right reasons.

Malcolm Schweizer
10-08-2013, 9:46 PM
If not a grandfather clock, you could build a wood-geared clock. I bought the plans for this but it comes after the sailboat build:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QMX1syA6R84

Jim Matthews
10-09-2013, 6:52 AM
It is really rather hellish.

Three years in Boynton Beach, back in the 1990's qualifies my observation;

The half of Florida that isn't paved is swamp.
Outside of the gated communities, beach promenades and golf courses - it's nearly impossible to walk any distance.

So many go to Florida seeking beautiful outside weather, and spend most all their lives inside airconditioned spaces.

It's one of the least natural environments on the planet.
You can have my share.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-09-2013, 9:49 AM
I have a wacky one... I've always wanted to build a wood framed biplane, like a Sopwith replica or something. It'll never happen, my wife, insurance company, banker, kids, and probably the FAA would all probably bar it, so it will always just be something fun to think about.

Larry, thanks for sharing the clock, it's beautiful!

Mike Henderson
10-09-2013, 11:50 AM
I have a wacky one... I've always wanted to build a wood framed biplane, like a Sopwith replica or something. It'll never happen, my wife, insurance company, banker, kids, and probably the FAA would all probably bar it, so it will always just be something fun to think about.

Larry, thanks for sharing the clock, it's beautiful!
There are airplane kits that you can build - And I mean full size single engine airplanes, not model airplanes. Well engineered airplanes, and a lot of them built by self builders. Almost all of them are classified as "experimental" by the FAA which limits what you can do with them. For example, you can't carry people for hire.

Mike

Steve Rozmiarek
10-09-2013, 12:18 PM
There are airplane kits that you can build - And I mean full size single engine airplanes, not model airplanes. Well engineered airplanes, and a lot of them built by self builders. Almost all of them are classified as "experimental" by the FAA which limits what you can do with them. For example, you can't carry people for hire.

Mike

Mike, you're instigating...:D Maybe someday, kind of resigned to more mundane uses of my time for a little bit longer though. You are right, some of those kits are really incredible.

Larry Browning
10-09-2013, 7:59 PM
Thanks for the comments on the clock. Hopefully it will inspire Keith to build one of his own

John Sanford
10-09-2013, 10:20 PM
I'm hoping it is not a bucket list item but I originally started acquiring WW tools and knowledge to build a lighthouse shaped corner cabinet for the LOML. I have the design drawn but have not been able to figure out how to drill the shelf pin holes. The issue is the to stiles in the front are on an angle, so I know the holes will not be the same distance apart in the front as they are in the back.

I hope to figure it out and build it for her some day.

Unless you plan on actually putting the shelf pin holes into the stiles, you can simply take a piece of pegboard, cut it to the shape of the inside of the cabinet walls, tape over the holes you won't use, then put it in the cabinet on one side, referenced against the bottom of course, drill your holes, move it over to the other side, drill the holes, voila. Sure, the forward holes will "step" as you go up, but so what? The other option is to do essentially the same thing, only you have to make the entire template yourself.

So get building. :p

Anthony Whitesell
10-10-2013, 5:29 AM
Unless you plan on actually putting the shelf pin holes into the stiles, you can simply take a piece of pegboard, cut it to the shape of the inside of the cabinet walls, tape over the holes you won't use, then put it in the cabinet on one side, referenced against the bottom of course, drill your holes, move it over to the other side, drill the holes, voila. Sure, the forward holes will "step" as you go up, but so what? The other option is to do essentially the same thing, only you have to make the entire template yourself.

So get building. :p

Unfortunately the holes must be in the stiles. The stiles are the only wood in the front of the cabinet. The pegboard trick would would work for the back two vertical sets, but not for the front two angle sets.

Keith Hankins
10-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the comments on the clock. Hopefully it will inspire Keith to build one of his own

ya, know I think I'll leave it on. Just might move it down a bit. Great replies and the different views on things. Cheers!

Frederick Skelly
10-10-2013, 5:56 PM
They arent fading in my eyes Keith. I bought a factory mader one a couple years back. I love the chimes as a cue to what time it is - especially in the middle of the night. Id still like to build one, some day.

But a Maloof style rocker? Now THAT'S a fine idea for the bucket list.

Fred

Chris Parks
10-10-2013, 6:13 PM
That looks like the same clock my father made. He made three, one for him and two others that were asked for after seeing the first one.

Mark Blatter
10-10-2013, 8:26 PM
As regards having someone to leave a legacy to, I have none, yet I and my wife enjoy the building and the use of the eighteenth century furniture I build.
Mike

I completely enjoy the building of projects, but I have to say that without someone to give them to that will appreciate them over the years, I tend to lose the desire to build. I built three cedar chests for my girls, plus refinished one from my grandmother for my fourth daughter. I hope they will enjoy them for many years and eventually leave them to one of their own kids. Even making things for friends, that as you point out appreciate the effort that went into them, provides a great deal more enjoyment. When they don't, well I simply give them gifts made in China.

I will be starting on two or three Morris Chairs in about a month one each for my wife and I, then one for my son. Those will be for our enjoyment, though I do hope that when the two of us die there is a nasty fight over who gets to keep them. On the opposite side, my father built a drop leaf desk when he was in high school about a million years ago. My sister had it for many years sanding it and getting ready to finish it. About three years ago she gave it to me. Still needs some work, but I will get it done because of the emotional value it has to me and my kids.

As for a bucket list, I would love to learn how, then build a sailboat. Never going to happen, but I watch Gibbs work on his boat and get jealous.

'Jacques Malan'
10-11-2013, 4:44 AM
Mike, you're instigating...:D Maybe someday, kind of resigned to more mundane uses of my time for a little bit longer though. You are right, some of those kits are really incredible.

This is on my bucket list. The Falco.
(http://www.seqair.com/)
All wood.