PDA

View Full Version : Foot Powered Lathe

Mike Holbrook
10-08-2013, 10:42 AM
I have recently come across quite a few versions of this workshop made tool. I am wondering if any of my fellow posters have made one of these and found it a tool worthy of use for making simple tool handles and chair spindles?

Zach Dillinger
10-08-2013, 11:27 AM
I built a version of the spring pole lathe that Roy Underhill featured in The Woodwright's Guide. It is a powerful and versatile tool. I am not the world's greatest turner, but I have been able to turn just about anything I want on it. Just think of the work that was done (and is still being done!) on foot powered lathes.

Judson Green
10-08-2013, 11:45 AM
I made a quick and dirty bungee powered lathe to turn my bench dogs. Definitely cheesy but it worked. Some day I'd like to make real one.

272479 272480

Jim Koepke
10-08-2013, 1:28 PM
bungee powered lathe

Now there is good old fashioned ingenuity at work.

jtk

Judson Green
10-08-2013, 2:03 PM
Now there is good old fashioned ingenuity at work.

jtk

I wish I could take credit for it but... nothing new under the sun.

Mike Holbrook
10-08-2013, 2:13 PM
The Renaissance Woodworker Blog- RWW 167 Treadle Lathe Sea Trials, contains a video on an advanced form of foot Lathe, it also has links below it to Bungee Lathe Part 1&2. The later links are to videos on how to make a fairly simple but serviceable Bungee Lathe using common construction lumber and parts from The Depots. It is suppose to be about a 5 hour project.

Judson Green
10-08-2013, 2:32 PM
If ya Google "quick and dirty bungee lathe" that was my muse. Mine is probably quicker and dirtier. For what I wanted to accomplish I only need about five or six inches between centers.

Mark AJ Allen
10-08-2013, 6:07 PM
Has anyone tried to make a lathe with an old sewing machine treadle?

Adam Maxwell
10-08-2013, 7:45 PM
I'm another bungee lathe user. My version cost about $50 and took a weekend to build. I've since modified it a bit, notably to get a 5' bed. As a novice turner, the limits of the pole lathe are more my (lack of) skill than the lathe itself. It's also good exercise and a lot of fun!

A school desk, with turned front legs (tulip poplar):

I've made a bunch of tool handles. The original here is by Moulson Bros in beech, with my copy in rhododendron.

Bedposts in sapele, for my current project. This is what we call a learning experience in both carving and turning; these posts are ~40" long. The problems here have more to do with my design and skill than with the lathe.

I've also made a hook tool and played around with bowl turning. This is my first attempt, in apple wood.

And finally, the lathe itself, as it was before lengthening the bed. 4x6 fir ends, and mostly fir 2x6 for the rest. I swapped out the deck screws in the ways for carriage bolts, which made it more rigid. No joinery to speak of, since I was in a hurry.

Helpful criticism of my turning would be fine, but the real point I'd like to make is that the pole lathe is a versatile tool, and you can get a lot of use out of something that's quick and inexpensive to build.

Judson Green
10-08-2013, 8:12 PM
Adam,

Wow, your work looks pretty awesome to me. How did ya turn the bowl? Between centers? Use another "shaft" to help (doesn't Robin Wood do something like that)? Or outboard somehow?

Adam Maxwell
10-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Wow, your work looks pretty awesome to me. How did ya turn the bowl? Between centers? Use another "shaft" to help (doesn't Robin Wood do something like that)? Or outboard somehow?

Thanks for the kind words! My first version of a lathe was very similar to yours, and I was hooked after a brief foray (using a carving gouge). I do use a mandrel, following Robin Wood's suggestion on the bodger's forum. It has a slightly tapered end that can be driven into a hole in the center of your blank, though my mandrel is probably smaller diameter than normally used; it's just a convenient stick of rhododendron I had lying around. Others use one with metal prongs.

That photo also shows the current incarnation of my bowl hook. It's 1/2" O-1 rod, made with the help of a MAPP torch for heat and a piece of 1/2" steel plate as anvil. A sturdy tool rest and relatively heavy lathe pays off here, even with the little bowls I've tried. This one was Japanese plum…yet another experiment with free wood.

If you're interested in bowl turning on the pole lathe, I strongly recommend looking at Ben Orford's videos (they're free, and his website has them listed in order). He shows how to prepare the blank properly, and how to use a hook tool.

Judson Green
10-09-2013, 9:42 AM
Adam

Thanks for the tip. Again really nice work.

Bryan Ericson
10-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Member Bob Rozaieski of Logan Cabinet Shoppe made a Roy Underhill spring pole lathe. In his blog post entitled "William & Mary Bible Box Completed", I asked a question about turning green vs dry wood on the lathe, and he responded with a very detailed and helpful answer, not just about green vs dry, but about good pole lathe technique in general. Forum rules prevent me from supplying a direct link, but it would be well worth your effort to look up the post.

russell lusthaus
10-09-2013, 4:05 PM
I have made a treadle lathe about 2 yrs ago. I posted some pics on here - - if you search me you should find them as I dont post much. It works really well for turning between centers and spindles and xmas ornaments and magic wands are a breeze to turn (sharp tools must). When I tried to hollow a bowl, I quickly found the practical limitations of my machine. You can do it, but I dont have the time, gumption or stamina to do so. If you have any Q, do not hesitate to get in touch.

Jim Koepke
10-10-2013, 3:42 PM
Here is a video of Bob Easton explaining the details of a treadle lathe he made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmMtIvoFRlI#t=466

jtk

Mike Olson
10-10-2013, 3:57 PM
Gotta ask, what is your reason for building this? is it mostly cost related, or do you want to enjoy the build of your own tool?

I was going back and forth a few years ago on building a spring pole lathe or a treadle powered lathe and finally had the realization that, that was a lot of work just for some chisel handles. I finally bought an old craftsman tube lathe from craigslist for $45 and made the handles i wanted. it takes up a lot less room and it turns out i'm not a big fan of turning so i'm out less than the cost of building it and i stashed it under my table if I ever need it again.

Jim Koepke
10-10-2013, 4:17 PM
Gotta ask, what is your reason for building this? is it mostly cost related, or do you want to enjoy the build of your own tool?

I was going back and forth a few years ago on building a spring pole lathe or a treadle powered lathe and finally had the realization that, that was a lot of work just for some chisel handles. I finally bought an old craftsman tube lathe from craigslist for $45 and made the handles i wanted. it takes up a lot less room and it turns out i'm not a big fan of turning so i'm out less than the cost of building it and i stashed it under my table if I ever need it again.

On the other hand, my old Craftsman lathe, with a cast base, was bought mostly for the purpose of making chisel handles. Not only have I been able to experiment and find various styles of handles, but they can be fit to my hands. After playing awhile many other things have been made. My wife loves acorns, so now many of our cupboards have lathe turned acorns for handles.

Recently acquired a small drill chuck that makes even more things possible.

The old lathe now has a place in my shop for turning out more then just chisel handles.

Even with the electron slaying lathe I am considering building a portable treadle lathe.

Just because it is fun.

jtk

russell lusthaus
10-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Because it was cool and I wanted to see if I could do it - was the reason I built mine. I use mine often, but not for hollowing, but I also do not have a tailed version.

Russ

Jacob Nothstine
10-11-2013, 11:56 AM
a lathe with an old sewing machine treadle I had the same idea.

Found this on line a fruits and vegetables lathe.
http://www.cameronjue.com/manual-feed-lathe/

Adam Maxwell
10-11-2013, 12:24 PM

This is what galoots do, isn't it? Don't bring reason into it! Anyway, I did it for fun, because I enjoy working with hand tools and learning old techniques. Cost wise, you probably beat my build by a few dollars. I opted for a pole (bungee) lathe instead of a treadle since I could build it in an afternoon; after using it for over a year, I no longer want a treadle, unless it's a Barnes that I can use to cut screws!

Mel Fulks
10-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks for posting the video! It blurs the line 'tween tater and turn-up.