PDA

View Full Version : Delta Super 900 and Super 990

Harlon Gilbert
10-07-2013, 8:11 PM
I'm still actively looking for a ras in my local cl. I had already looked at a super 900 but concluded that it was a little too small. I'm in search of one that will handle 15 to 18 inches on a single pass crosscut. Yesterday I found a super 990. Is it a bigger saw capacity wise than the 900? Or is it just a newer model? Seems sometimes a higher number signify more size and sometimes just an upgraded model. Any info or opinions will be appreciated.

david brum
10-08-2013, 9:56 PM
That seems to be pretty much the same saw. The 900 was designed for a 9" blade. The 990 also 9" but was also available in a 10" version. Either saw should give you around 12" of crosscut. That crosscut size seems average for a homeowner size RAS. In order to get crosscut capacity in the range you're looking for, you would probably need to look at a 14-16" saw. I think that Delta also recently made a "professional 10" saw which had good crosscut capacity. The newer saws aren't noted for being as accurate though, so keep that in mind.

Stephen Cherry
10-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Harlon, what sort of budget do you have in mind? For a couple of hundred dollars you can sometimes get a saw that would go for thousands new. I like Italian, but others like the Dewalts. I would go for at least a 12" blade, so that you can use a modern miter saws blade. Mine is 14", which is about 2" nicer.

Bill Geibe
10-09-2013, 12:59 AM
Harlon,

There's a thread on OWWM that gives a lot of general information about the Delta/Rockwell turret arm RAS's: http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109529 It doesn't specifically address crosscut capacity but has some good general information. I have a 1965 Rockwell 'Plus 10' I'm in the slow process of restoring. It's not a whole lot different in design from the 900/990 but will take a 10 or 12" blade.

If you are interested in crosscut capacity, have you considered an early long-arm DeWalt? Some of them had outstanding crosscut capabilities and are considered to be among the best RAS's.

Bill

Rick Potter
10-09-2013, 2:43 AM
I have a 1983 (?) DeWalt 7790 12" RAS. It is not the older round top, but it is also not the newer lightened up versions, usually 10". If you are interested in the newer ones, do not get one with the height handle on the front of the arm. Those saws are not as heavy duty. You can see the thickness of the arm go down over a few years. The ones with the crank back on top of the tube side of the arm are better. I do not have alignment problems with mine.

Anyway, my 7790 will crosscut 16 1/4" with the fence in the rear position. If you look closely at the pic, you will see that the blade hangs over the fence, which is why the blade leaf guard is functional. I have the fence set back enough that a full 1 1/2" thick board will not quite fit, so I use a simple spacer for the few times I need it. Unless you get a 'long arm' saw, I know of no other that will cross cut more. You can get saws that cut 4' for the price of a new car. See OMGA site.

272514 272515 272516

Hope this helps,
Rick Potter