PDA

View Full Version : 45 Degree Hand Rip Cut Dilemma Conquered!

Edward Mitton
10-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Hi, All,

A couple of weeks ago I posted a question about how to go about making 45 degree rip cuts for French cleats using hand tools. I got a lot of good replies, but just last week, I thought of a great solution (while lying awake in bed...)
The original idea was to hold the board vertically and try to figure out how to hold a tool (plane or saw) at a 45 to get a good consistent cut.
It dawned on me that this task could be better served by mounting the board at a 45 angle and performing a normal rip cut with the saw held vertically.
So, I cobbled a pair of jigs out of some 2x4 scraps that would mount on the saw bench.
The pictures will tell the story.....272423272424272425272426

1. The jigs
2. The jigs mounted on the saw bench and cut in progress
3. End view. (See if you can find the bee!!) He was checking this whole rig out and probably thought it was the bees knees!
4. A finished 7 foot French cleat pair.

Th rip cut only took about 10 minutes to make. A very close 45 degree angle was maintained for most of the cut. I veered off about 2 or 3 degrees on the last foot and a half, because of a bit of difficulty in holding the board steady on behind the end support. Will have to work on that.

Judson Green
10-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Clever! Way to go!

But what's the rope on the saw handle for? A spring pole powered rip saw?:eek:

Sean Hughto
10-07-2013, 11:18 AM
A plane or a drawknife (to hog) followed by a plane (to perfect) work well too.

Edward Mitton
10-07-2013, 11:31 AM
The 'rope' is actually a narrow strip of ace bandage looped around the handle for hanging the saw on a nail. Pretty lo-tech.
Also note that a half of a wood clothespin is being used as a kerf spreader. Works fine!

Don Orr
10-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Ingenious! Nice work.

Chuck Nickerson
10-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Great! Now I have to design a jig which attaches to my saw bench which allows me to adjust the angle at which the stock is held.
(Yes, I have a jig problem.)

Judson Green
10-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Great! Now I have to design a jig which attaches to my saw bench which allows me to adjust the angle at which the stock is held.
(Yes, I have a jig problem.)

I feel it calls for a complete rethink on the standard saw bench. Maybe a saw bench with adjustable top. Like trunnions in a table saw.

Edward Mitton
10-07-2013, 2:32 PM
Maybe a saw bench with adjustable top. Like trunnions in a table saw.

Hmmmm... you might have something there.... A secondary bench top, a couple of heavy duty hinges and a couple of wedges to adjust the angle, and that should about do it.

Jim Koepke
10-07-2013, 4:13 PM
Maybe a saw bench with adjustable top. Like trunnions in a table saw.

Hmmmm... you might have something there.... A secondary bench top, a couple of heavy duty hinges and a couple of wedges to adjust the angle, and that should about do it.

Don't forget a couple of dogs somewhere to keep the plank from falling to the floor.

jtk

bridger berdel
10-08-2013, 2:33 AM
i figure 45* is a bit much for a cleat. too much wedging action. 30* is plenty.