PDA

View Full Version : Leg vise needs a little help

steven c newman
10-06-2013, 10:43 PM
I do have an old leather nail bag or two, don't plan on using them anymore. Might cut them up and try to add them to my leg vise I added to the new bench.

Question: How to attach the leather to the jaws of the vise?

Next item: Leg of the vise is bowed a bit, thinking of adding two pieces of angle iron. One down each edge, just to straighten the old Barn wood slab a bit.

A look at the vise272417272418will try later...

Hilton Ralphs
10-07-2013, 1:35 AM
Contact cement will do the trick.

Judson Green
10-07-2013, 9:24 AM
I've used hide glue (the liquid version) and PVA (tite bond ll) to glue leather strops down.

Steve Hasler
10-07-2013, 9:25 AM
+1 on the contact cement...also for less permanent a spray adhesive would work. I have used medium tack loctite spray adhesive on suede before and it works ok.

Don Dorn
10-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Actually, in putting together a strop, I saw that Paul Sellers said that carpet tape worked as well as contact cement (at least for that). I tried it and he was right, it's been just as solid, and a lot easier. Possibly it may work for you.

Andrae Covington
10-07-2013, 1:56 PM
I've used contact cement and yellow PVA, both worked fine. When you get the leather in place, clamp a flat scrap of mdf, plywood, or whatever in the vise to ensure the glue is making full contact. You might want to slip a piece of wax paper inbetween in case there's some squeeze out... don't want to glue your leg vise shut.

steven c newman
10-07-2013, 4:39 PM
Leather on both faces, or just one?

As for the angle iron, still a ways off, maybe next payday...

Hilton Ralphs
10-07-2013, 4:43 PM
Leather on both faces, or just one?.
Just one, the moving chip.