PDA

View Full Version : Flour container

Rich Harkrader
10-06-2013, 8:05 PM
During our recent move, I accidentally broke my wife's ceramic flour container. I was thinking I'd turn her a new one. Any concerns I should be aware of in terms of wood or finish selection? I have an 8*8*8 piece of soft maple I was thinking of using.

Rich;)

Eric Holmquist
10-06-2013, 8:43 PM
Maple should be fine, and since it is a diffuse porous wood and you are storing dry powder, there is no real need for an internal finish. Externally, you could use pure dewaxed shellac if you really want to minimize fingerprints. Shellac is an FDA approved food additive so you should have no problems with it on a long term storage food container. Some time release medications you find in the drug store are coated with shellac as are some candies. You may see it on a list of ingredients as Confectioners Glaze or Candy Glaze.

Michelle Rich
10-07-2013, 6:13 AM
it would have to be fairly air-tight..flour will react badly to dampness..shellac inside & out & maple is excellent choice

Wayne Lovell
10-07-2013, 8:54 AM
If that was the only thing you broke in a move you did a real good Job.

Thom Sturgill
10-07-2013, 9:02 AM
All good comments. I believe that lacquer would also be a good choice. It has been used for dishes for hundreds, if not thousands, of years in Asia and is more resistant to handling and cleaning and easily repaired.

Dale Gillaspy
10-07-2013, 10:12 AM
The FDA also classifies Ketchup as a vegetable....everyone knows it is a fruit.

Steve Peterson
10-07-2013, 11:48 AM
You may also want a fairly airtight seal to keep moisture and bugs out. A wood container and lid is going to move at least 1/16" with even minor moisture changes.

If the ceramic jar had a silicone ring, you could try to re-use it to maintain an air-tight seal.

Steve

Rich Harkrader
10-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Yeah I was intending to use a silicone o ring around the lid. Thanks all!

Rich;)

Reed Gray
10-07-2013, 12:40 PM
I would want the inside sealed as well. If for no other reason, it helps equalize the wood movement. Silicone ring would work, or a big piece of cork would work as well. They will be able to move with the wood.

robo hippy

Bill White
10-07-2013, 7:08 PM
As far as your initial question concerning the bride.............Have ya asked her what she would like? :))
Bill