PDA

View Full Version : Cybertron PC's Good or not ?

Clarence Martin
10-05-2013, 8:55 PM
I was looking at the Sears website and I see this new brand of computer : Cybertron PC. They don't look bad. Tried to check on their ratings, but could not find any info.

Anyone heard of these ?

Thanks,

Jim Becker
10-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Never heard of them...likely a "private label white box" product produced just for Sears (and maybe others).

Matt Meiser
10-06-2013, 11:07 AM
You're thinking of buying a computer from Sears????

Jerome Stanek
10-06-2013, 11:31 AM
I was just on the Cybertron PC page and their prices seem to be very high for what you get.

Dan Hintz
10-06-2013, 7:03 PM
You're thinking of buying a computer from Sears????

This was kind of my thinking... like buying a car at Wal-Mart.

Matt Meiser
10-06-2013, 7:12 PM
This was kind of my thinking... like buying a car at Wal-Mart.

Totally different. At Walmart you'd get a cheap piece of junk, and you'd know it was junk but hey, it was cheap.. At Sears you'd get the same piece of junk but pay top dollar.

Matt Meiser
10-06-2013, 7:22 PM
BTW, to the OP. Do yourself a favor and either find a good local computer store (getting to be a rare thing IMHO) or buy a Dell which comes with in-home service. Or buy a Mac. I thought hard about the latter but ended up getting the Dell. Got the wife a Dell too. The hard drive started going in it so I chatted with Dell support one evening. 2 days later they came to the house, swapped it out, and I restored from a good backup image from the day before the problems started and we were back up and running with a total of about 1 hour of my time. Obviously it would have been harder if I didn't have a good backup strategy, but that would be true of anyone. And you can't blame Dell for a defective commodity hard drive.

Myk Rian
10-06-2013, 8:47 PM
As I have found out, most local PC shops deal in Business machines. I was going to have one built, but none of the 4 shops I have locally know anything about gamer PCs. Or even one suitable for editing HiDef videos. So here is the PC I finally wound up with. http://www.microcenter.com/product/420117/G310_Desktop_Computer
They will ship it to you, or look for a store near you in their store finder..
Awesome machine. ASRock motherboard. AMD A10 (quad core) M-Disk DVD burner. 500 watt PS. Every part in it is quality. Even has 2 HDMI outputs. With the AMD video card, you can have up to 6 monitors connected. Preloaded with Win 7 Pro. Comes with Win 8 Pro install disks, but I'll never use them.

I bought this one after getting a HP Pavilion from BestBuy. Had some trouble with it. HP support was non-existent, as was Seagate. I took it back, and went to Microcenter. A 1 hour drive for me, but well worth the effort.

The best part, no preloaded crap that you'll never use.

Shawn Russell
10-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Microcenter sells good stuff and has a solid repair department. If you geeky, or geeky inclined, I would suggest Newegg. You won't have a bad computer, but you could save a few bucks going the Newegg route.

Jerome Stanek
10-07-2013, 7:04 AM
I have bought a lot of computers from Microcenter and they all have been good. In fact I bought 4 at the same time as I got them on clearance for what one of the newer models cost. The only difference was they had changed the case style.

Myk Rian
10-07-2013, 7:38 AM
Best part of the deal, MicroCenter has their own support forum. PowerSpec is their house brand.
mctsol.com/phpBB3/index.php

Dan Hintz
10-07-2013, 8:05 AM
If you have one local, try Fry's... nothing like that here in the northeast and it royally stinks :-/

Brian Tymchak
10-07-2013, 8:37 AM
Best part of the deal, MicroCenter has their own support forum. PowerSpec is their house brand.

+1 on the Powerspec machines. I've probably bought 10 of them for myself and family over the last 20 years. Never had a part failure of any kind.

Larry Browning
10-07-2013, 9:56 AM
The conventional wisdom seems to be to buy a computer with high quality components so that it will last a long time. However, I have found that unless you have specific needs for extremely fast high end processor and/or graphics, the lower end computers like you find at Wal-Mart can provide a better value. Sure these will not last as long and have become more of a commodity type item, but is that really a bad thing? Most of these low-end computers have more than enough power to surf the web, do email and facebook. They even have enough processing power to handle programs like Sketchup and photo editing software. Why pay $700-$1000 when $300 will get you plenty of processing power? As far as service support goes, the majority of service issues will probably be software and OS related anyway and that is always best provided by the software company rather than the hardware company.
Plus, for the most part, any computer is going to be obsolete within a couple of years anyway, so replacing a $300 computer is much easier to justify.
My current computer is a Gateway I got from TigerDirect for less than $300 and I couldn't be happier. It needed some new drivers which I was able to download from the component manufactures such as Intel, and Nvidia, but all is running smoothly. I would imagine that a higher end computer would have the same situation. I am sure that in a couple of years I will be needing a new computer and I plan on getting it a Wal-Mart or Tiger Direct, who ever has the best deal at the time.

Curt Harms
10-07-2013, 10:07 AM
If you have one local, try Fry's... nothing like that here in the northeast and it royally stinks :-/

I think Micro Center is as close as you'll come. They seem a bit less consumer oriented than Best Buy et. al. On the other hand, Joe or Josephine Consumer is not going to have a clue what some of the stuff on display such as their cables and connectors are for and may feel overwhelmed. It's about the only game in town for retail roll-your-own or replacement/repair. Your area has stores in Rockville , Towson and Fairfax.

Dan Hintz
10-07-2013, 10:48 AM
The conventional wisdom seems to be to buy a computer with high quality components so that it will last a long time. However, I have found that unless you have specific needs for extremely fast high end processor and/or graphics, the lower end computers like you find at Wal-Mart can provide a better value. Sure these will not last as long and have become more of a commodity type item, but is that really a bad thing? Most of these low-end computers have more than enough power to surf the web, do email and facebook. They even have enough processing power to handle programs like Sketchup and photo editing software. Why pay $700-$1000 when $300 will get you plenty of processing power?

My last couple of computers have been Dells in the $300 range. Powerful enough to run some of the more recent games, so plenty powerful enough for web surfing and the like. At $300, they're pretty much commodity items, but they'll last me for years at a time. I gave up on building my own years ago once the prices dropped so much. For the same money, the systems you get at places like Wal-Mart and Sears are underpowered, comparatively speaking, to the Dell... still powerful enough for web surfing, but why not get the extra power for the same money (and that extra power will be useful when you start getting into image editing and the like), along with some tech support a phone call away should you need it. Tech support from Wal-Mart and Sears is non-existent.

Larry Browning
10-07-2013, 11:20 AM
My last couple of computers have been Dells in the $300 range. Powerful enough to run some of the more recent games, so plenty powerful enough for web surfing and the like. At $300, they're pretty much commodity items, but they'll last me for years at a time. I gave up on building my own years ago once the prices dropped so much. For the same money, the systems you get at places like Wal-Mart and Sears are underpowered, comparatively speaking, to the Dell... still powerful enough for web surfing, but why not get the extra power for the same money (and that extra power will be useful when you start getting into image editing and the like), along with some tech support a phone call away should you need it. Tech support from Wal-Mart and Sears is non-existent.
I bought a Gateway from Tiger Direct 8-9 months ago. It was the same computer that was available at wal-mart at the time. Tiger Direct had it for a few dollars less than WM. The Dell equivalent was about $50 more. I did have a problem with the video card not being able to play video being streamed from netflix. I was able to actually talk to tech support at Gateway and was able to "eventually" get the problem resolved after 3 calls. Dell, probably would have been better, but it was there, so to say it is non-existent is not quite right.

I think we are both on the same page when it comes to evaluating your needs before spending top dollar on something that will be obsolete well before it breaks down. It is also important to know that what once made since (like building you own computer to get the best value for your money) is no longer the case.