PDA

View Full Version : need help deciding on a new chuck

chuck vernon
10-05-2013, 4:17 PM
I am truing to decide between the hurricane hct 100 chuck and the supernova 2 both are on sale. Can I get some advice. I will be using it on a nova 1624 lathe. Should I step up to a 5" chuck?:confused:

Jon Nuckles
10-05-2013, 6:01 PM
I have 2 SN2 chucks. One has the #2 jaws and works well. The other has power grip jaws (if I recall the name correctly) and turnings are tough to keep true on it. I am not sure what is causing the problem, but I have been considering getting a big Oneway chuck. My 2 cents and likely not worth much more.

Mike Goetzke
10-05-2013, 6:54 PM
I am truing to decide between the hurricane hct 100 chuck and the supernova 2 both are on sale. Can I get some advice. I will be using it on a nova 1624 lathe. Should I step up to a 5" chuck?:confused:

For my first chuck I chose the Hurricane because they were offering if with 8 jaw sets for a great price. The chuck as well as the jaws are excellent quality. Do a search there is a review of the Hurricane chucks on this site.

Mike

Thom Sturgill
10-05-2013, 7:29 PM
While I like the SN2, be aware that probably one reason for the sale is that Teknatool is changing the design. They have their own 'quick change' design to make changing jaws quick. The prototype jaws I saw at the AAW symposium were considerably heavier than the current jaws. I do not know what the new pricing schedule will be, but surely higher than current.

Jim Burr
10-05-2013, 7:39 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?156586-What-big-chuck-to-buy-for-a-PM-3520-B-have-a-G3-already, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?195308-Chuck-advice-for-new-midi-lathe, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103830-Which-Chuck-to-buy, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?201757-Hurricane-HTC-Chuck-review such a simple use of the search function and look what you find!!!

Mike Cruz
10-05-2013, 9:27 PM
I don't know what threads Jim linked, but take advantage of his generosity (spending his time to look this up).

I DO understand your desire to start a new thread and get direct answers to your questions, but this is one of those cases where your answer is probably already out there.

I will, however, throw in my two cents. I've said it before, so this isn't new news, but I switched over entirely to the Hurricane chucks. I have the 100s and the 125s. Right now, I have 5 in all. I've had Strongholds and the Grizzly chuck (Vicmarc knockoff). The HTCs are every bit as good as (some might argue better, but I won't fight that battle) the Strongholds. They are WAY better than the Grizzly. They are priced at 1/2 or less then Strongholds, and right about the same as the Grizzly. I don't know much about the SN2. So, I can't comment on them...

Ben Darrah
10-06-2013, 7:55 AM
Keep an eye on the Bay. Every so often he offers a HTC100 package with 8 jaws and it usually goes for a huge bargain for what you get. I bought one of these packages and have been happy with it. I plan on buying a couple more bare chucks eventually from his site. I also have a 1624 and the 100 is a good size for everything you can turn over the bed. I don't have the outboard attachment yet. The only drawback for me is the country of origin. I believe the SN2 is also Asian made. The only US made chuck I know of is the EWT and it was out of my price range. It looked like a nice piece of gear though.

Mike Cruz
10-06-2013, 9:50 AM
Ben, my understanding from speaking with Steve (the seller of the HTCs), is that the HTCs are made in China, too. He tried to get them made in the USA, but no factories here could make them at a reasonable cost...which is the whole reason that Steve wanted to make these chucks. He doesn't believe that you have to spend $300 for a good chuck... I do have to agree with you that I'm not happy with their country of origin. But at least it is a US company that is having it manufactured there, as opposed to a Chinese company that gets all the money (production AND profits). It still isn't perfect...

charlie knighton
10-06-2013, 10:24 AM
both are on sale

that is not a reason for buying equipment that you will use and depend on for the next 20 years

Marvin Hasenak
10-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Because of previous threads I bought the Hurricane. For the price, I am super impressed. I have furnished a new small shop in New Mexico, I had planned on a Barracuda2, cheap but good enough for my callmaking. Read the reviews on here and bought one. I have only had a few chances to use it, but I am glad I spentthe few extra dollars for the Hurricane.

Michael Mills
10-06-2013, 12:20 PM
I have seven Novas but tried the HCT100 for my daughter for her Comet.

Here is my LONG comparison of the HCT100 and the Nova SN2; some items may have changed or been added now.
-----------------------------
I assumed the HTC100 would be about like the Nova G3. Ain’t so.

Here is my comparison of the HTC100 and the SN2.

Dimensions:
Height by eye appears to be the same or within 1/32 for the chuck itself.
Diameter: SN2 3-7/8” HCT100 4”

Weight: As measured at local hardware store nail scales. I think the powergrip jaws add at least 12 ounces more than the standard 50mm Nova jaws. If so, the HTC100 comes in about 1 pound heaver.
SN2 with powergrip jaws: 6lb 2oz
HTC with standard Jaws: 6lb 6oz

Safety Stop and Range
SN2 Range about 3/4” Safety stop built into scroll mechanism.
HCT Range about 1 1/4” Safety stop under the #4 jaw and can be removed (screw).
JMHO I can see not reason to need to adjust outside of a 3/4” range. Any more and you need to swap jaws.

Insert
SN2 uses a threaded insert.
HCT uses a taper as the Talon does I believe. In The HTC has “holes” in the flange but they do not go through. I do not know if the tapping was not performed or if they are just for a spanner wrench.
I see no advantage to either insert but they should be able to lock to the spindle if turning in reverse for sanding. Insert is held with three screws into the base and two of these are used to back the insert out if you want to change it.

Backing:
Different materials but I am not sure of any benefit. HCT does state they are completely sealed from dust and no maintenance is ever needed. I did open the back for a look-see but did not think of doing a comparison at the time. The scroll mechanism on the HCT is massive. The back of the SN2 is a hard plastic? material and the HCT is steel.
Both have indexing on the rear.

Scroll:
SN2 uses a hex drive.
HCT uses a square drive. Very large and stout square drive.
I like the square just a little more because the handle slides rather than fixed.

Standard Jaws:
SN2 51mm exterior Dovetailed 41mm straight interior with lip.
HTC 60mm exterior Dovetailed 45mm interior Dovetailed

I do not know if having an interior dovetail may help or not. I have not lost an item with the SN2 cutting a straight tenon and letting the lip bite in. Then again I mainly use a recess for the additional strength.
As you can tell the thickness of the jaws is greater with the HTC by 5mm.
Jaws screws for the SN2 are stamped 10.9; for the HTC they are 12.9 so a little better strength rating.

Fit and finish looks to be equal but time will tell.

Jaws:
SN2 has a good assortment (16+) and fits all Nova chucks (as chuck strength permits)
HTC seems to be missing “spigot” jaws such as the SN2 35mm, 45mm, and 100mmPGs. They do have serrated jaws both interior and exterior, just not deep serrated jaws for hollow forms.
They have about nine different sets that cover most anything else that I can see. The jaws for the HTC100 do not fit the HTC125 and this could be drawback.
Both SN2 and HTC offers jaw sets that the other doesn’t.

Wormscrew:
Both come with a wormscrew. The end of the wormscrew is slightly tapered on the HTC compared to the SN2. It would not matter on a bowl where you go deep but on a platter where you only go 3/8” or so it may present a problem. I will probably grind off about 3/16” from the tip of the screw.

Runout:
SN2 Six of my seven Novas six range between .001 and .005 (One black sheep at .008)
HTC Runout of .003
Seems to be equal quality as to machining.

Mike Cruz
10-06-2013, 5:14 PM
Very fair and interesting comparison, Michael. I know that some here MUST think I'm a paid spokesperson for the HTCs. I'm not. If I had a SN2, I probably would/could have done that comparison. But I don't. Thanks for the review!

chuck vernon
10-07-2013, 5:57 PM
Thanks for all the good onfo. I think I will go with the hurricane

Darryl Hansen
10-07-2013, 6:06 PM
go to the teknatool site. click on purchase and refurbish icon. They have SN2 for real good prices.

robert baccus
10-07-2013, 9:37 PM
Really good and complete information. A question--does the jaws protrude outside the chuck body when fully extended. Some chuck,s do and really are dangerous when spinning. I have 3 Nova's and they are all recessed when extended. Never used a HTC chuck but the nova 2 does something impressive for me. I do 18-20" 120# vases mounted only on a 50mmx1/8" ring(dovetail) screwed to a glueblock with CA to the blank which puts tremendous strain on the 50mm jaws and chuck. Stays like this for hollowing and finishing and I've never had a failure with the chuck, ring or glue which says a lot for the Nova quality. I think all the major brands are good quality however.

Mike Cruz
10-07-2013, 10:21 PM
So, let me get this straight... you think jaws extending beyond the chuck (a potential knuckle buster...yes) is that is "really dangerous". Yet, you've got no problem with 18-20" 120# vases mounted only on a 50mmx1/8" ring(dovetail) screwed to a glueblock with CA to the blank which puts tremendous strain on the 50mm jaws and chuck?

I can say that I just roughed out a 27" x 5" (final roughed dimensions) bowl from a 107 lb blank using the HTC 125 with large (not the new extra large...just the large) dovetail jaws. Held with no issues. Finished weight to the roughout was 18.6 lbs.

Ben Darrah
10-08-2013, 9:11 AM
Michael,

How did you set up to measure run out? Did you set it on the face, side, or closed jaws? I have a dial indicator and multi purpose mag base. I'm curious to check all my chucks now.

Thanks Ben

Michael Mills
10-08-2013, 1:39 PM
Michael,

How did you set up to measure run out? Did you set it on the face, side, or closed jaws? I have a dial indicator and multi purpose mag base. I'm curious to check all my chucks now.

Thanks Ben

I measured mine on the side in the little space between the key hole and the bottom of the jaw slides.

I suppose you can measure on the jaw tops with the jaws completely closed. If the same jaws remain mounted on the chuck you may even flatten the tops of the jaws completely on slow speed with a good file or diamond card. I can't see any run out so for me they are good enough.

robert baccus
10-08-2013, 4:43 PM
Having trouble with replies--sorry. It took years of sneaking up to feel safe doing this. The secret may be in the steel dovetail rings--eliminates the chuck to wood grab problem. Had a dozen made years ago and is my best time saver of all and never fail unless mounted backward. Don't ask.

Hilel Salomon
11-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Sorry I'm late to this. I happen to be a lousy turner but an addicted and somewhat judicious buyer of tools. Currently, I have a fifteen Vicmarcs (including two of the largest ones), two strongholds, 2 grizzly knockoffs, 4 SN'2s, 1 axminster and 2 hurricanes. I'm going cold turkey and have decided not to buy the new SB. IMO, the vicmarcs are the mercedes of lathe chucks, but I too was intrigued by Mike Cruz's mention of the Hurricanes, and bought one from Amazon.com, then called Steve and got another one. They are easily the best value in chucks, IMO. Yes, you probably can get an SN even cheaper, but outside of the fact that both the SN's and Hurricanes are made in China, there is no comparison. Hurricanes have taken the better features of the Stronghold and Vicmarcs and synthesized them. The insert is like the Stronghold's, but the back is covered and indexed like the Vicmarcs, the key is a combination of the stronghold's and vicmarcs , and doesn't depend on the key to extract the chuck. I saw somewhere that one of our members referred to the larger Hurricane as a "mid-sized" chuck, but I have used it to hold very large pieces of very heavy wood with absolutely no problems.
I have no stake in any manufacturer or importer, and am not connected in any way to any of them.

Mike Cruz
11-15-2013, 2:08 PM
I saw somewhere that one of our members referred to the larger Hurricane as a "mid-sized"

Not saying that you didn't see someone say that, Hilel, but I have a hard time understanding how ANYONE could call the 125 a mid sized chuck. Is it the biggest chuck around, I'm sure not. But it is, as you know, plenty bigger than the Stronghold, and many believe that to be in the large category... I just got another one of the 125s recently with the new super large dovetail jaws. Let me tell you, those jaws are NOT toys! Man, they are mammoth!!!

Darryl Hansen
11-15-2013, 2:19 PM
checkout the Teknatool web site for their reconditioned stuff. SN2 for about $100 or so .