PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Beach landslide

Jerry Clark
06-01-2005, 11:38 AM
This morning there was a massive landslide at Laguna Beach-- close to Mark Singer's residence. I assume there was no damage to his house as it was a over a mile away. :) There are many M$ houses destroyed.:eek: No report on people hurt yet.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Wow, I hadn't heard of this yet, I hope that there are little or no injuries.

Mark is your residence okay?

Mark Singer
06-01-2005, 12:20 PM
We are fine, it is about 1/2 mile away. It is one canyon over in Bluebird Canyon. My freind Lonnie Duka may be affected...I have to reach him. I designed his home about 12 years ago....it is a great place and won a couple of awards....I sure hope he is ok! The home just above it was designed by a man that worked for me for many years....it was a huge linear home....it is completly gone... This area is geotechnically poor and I have known that for 30 years...I have not done much work there. The sky is full of helicopters and we really can't do much except watch. A couple of the news channels called my home to see if we were ok....one directly from the helicopter...my wife asked how did you know it was our home...she said she reccognized the large skylight over the kitchen...I guess they know where I am.....We are fine and I feel very sorry for the people affected...typically insurance does not cover this kind of loss....I will try to help in anyway that I can. Thank you for checking on me....

Jerry Clark
06-01-2005, 12:32 PM
I saw the home on the news that Mark had designed-- it was so easy to identify-- large glass windows and beautiful-- with a great view-- $5 Million at least! totaled! :mad:

Mark Singer
06-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Jerry,

I did not design that home...It was deigned by Al Lopez ...he worked for me for many years and designed the home after he left and was on his own.... I just talked to Lonnie Duka and he is just below the big house....he thinks his home is ok....He was leaving for Armenia in 6 hours to help people there....he is cancelling the trip with the slide....I will be talking to him througout the day..

I saw the home on the news that Mark had designed-- it was so easy to identify-- large glass windows and beautiful-- with a great view-- $5 Million at least! totaled! :mad:

Scott Coffelt
06-01-2005, 1:12 PM
Glad your OK, the first thing I thought of was you and the others. Glad your OK, one of the only down sides I see to your beautiful area of the country. Be safe.

John Miliunas
06-01-2005, 1:22 PM
Whew! Really, REALLY glad to hear you're OK, my friend!!!:) It's been such a terribly busy morning for me that, this is the first I'd heard of the disaster. My thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by it. Just no fighting Mother Nature, I guess. Hope you stay safe!!! Keep us posted!:cool:

Rich Konopka
06-01-2005, 1:33 PM
Mark,

Good News that you and Mrs. Singer are fine. Bad news that it hit so close to home.

Best Regards,

Earl Kelly
06-01-2005, 2:16 PM
Glad your OK, Mark. To me 1/2 mile is too close.
Hopefully, Property will be the only loss. Homes can be rebuilt, lives cannot.

Matt Meiser
06-01-2005, 2:28 PM
Mark, glad to hear you are OK!

Tim Morton
06-01-2005, 2:59 PM
First I heard about this was just now in the car...it made "rush", but I have not seen it on the news yet...terrible!!!! But glad you are OK mark, and hopefully we don't hear of any loss of life.

Mark Singer
06-01-2005, 4:15 PM
Most of the homes are 40 to 50 years old.....Someone this morning tried to blame it all on one guy that is building a new home....people are ridiculous...this area has been known to be a slide area. There was a slide in 1978 just 200 feet away...I was living in my first home in Laguna that I completed just a few years before. Probably 20 houses slid back then. This winters rains were severe and typically the slide occurs as this one did after the rainy season ends. If you look at the photos , there is no evidence of bedrock...just loose soil....it underlies the whole immediate area. I guess that is the fault of the one guy that is building now;) ....Anyway it looks as if the people are safe, The City Council met in a special session and declared it a disaster area.

My home and the one I am building down the road are on solid bedrock . The one that is under construction has about 15 deep caissons...The bedrock is visible everywhere.

I really feel sorry for my neighbors , many I know ...they are loosing a great deal

Rich Konopka
06-01-2005, 4:56 PM
I really feel sorry for my neighbors , many I know ...they are loosing a great deal

I agree, the real bummer is that EVERYTHING is gone including the land. They really cannot rebuild. However, it could have been worse and involved personal tragedies. I guess it is one of the prices you may pay for the gorgeous view. And there is no insurance coverage??

John Hart
06-01-2005, 7:12 PM
Wow...I just heard on the news. I ran to the computer to check on you Mark. Glad you're alright. I'm sorry to hear about your neighbors of course. Take care.

Norman Hitt
06-01-2005, 7:49 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Singer] .........this area has been known to be a slide area. There was a slide in 1978 just 200 feet away...I was living in my first home in Laguna that I completed just a few years before. Probably 20 houses slid back then.

This winters rains were severe and typically the slide occurs as this one did after the rainy season ends. If you look at the photos , there is no evidence of bedrock...just loose soil....it underlies the whole immediate area.

My home and the one I am building down the road are on solid bedrock . The one that is under construction has about 15 deep caissons...The bedrock is visible everywhere.

Sure glad you are OK and in a Safer area, Mark. Sorry to hear of your neighbors losses though.

Is my understanding of the "Slide Prone Areas" correct, in that there is normally a few feet of topsoil overlaying "Clay" subsoil, and when the water soaks down through the topsoil and wets the "Clay Subsoil", it naturally becomes slick and acts like a nature built Slide, and then all the topsoil slides down the hill because there's nothing to hold it in place?

John Shuk
06-01-2005, 7:58 PM
I guess these homesites are no longer viable as building sites. I can't see insurance covering that. A building site there must go for$800k to $1m easy. That is a big hit.

Mark Singer
06-01-2005, 8:17 PM
The sites are valued at about 750,000 to 1,500,000. The homes from $1,000,000 to about $5,000,000.. This area really dosen't have ocean views and therefore doesn't hit the higher prices as other parts of Laguna.

It has been a full day of letting friends and neighbors see their homes from my yard , which probably has the best view into BlueBird Canyon. Even the Orange County Sherrif stopped by to view it from up here. They have evacuated 500 homes! 1000 people will not be at home ! The entire town is about 26,000 people. Many of my close friends...noted ceramic artist Marlo Barteles and his wife Kathy, She stoped to see her home. Photographer and close friend Lonnie Duka... Buzz Di Orio's daughter lost her home...I am so sorry about this! I went to their wedding and they were a young couple and now they lost everything...
It is a very painful experience. I have lived most of my life in this small town and know most of the people....I am really sorry to see this tradjedy...It is very painful....

Chris Padilla
06-01-2005, 8:37 PM
California coastlines are a big huge political hammer but I think the counties' greed lets folks build in areas they really shouldn't or doesn't put enough emphasis on proper structure and stability of the building site and its surroundings.

When Loma Prieta hit here in the Bay Area and caused the double-decker highway collapse, the only section of the road that failed were the sections NOT built over bedrock. Bedrock won't liquify in a strong earthquake...nor in water-soaked soil.

We HAD two very nice hills near where I live and they are just building houses and condos right up them. CA-87 splits the two hills as a matter of fact.

Glad to hear you are okay and building solidy, Mark! :) My condolences to your friend's and neighbor's loss.... :(

John Scarpa
06-01-2005, 8:58 PM
Mark,
Heard the news from my wife as she was in Laguna Beach with her sisters this morning and was worried until i logged in. I'm happy to hear you are OK but feel so sorry for your friends. I know insurance doesn't cover this sort of thing but perhaps FEMA will offset a little bit anyway.

I'm very glad to hear you are on bedrock!