PDA

View Full Version : Early 80's vintage Powermatic PM60 w/ Baldor motor

John Sanford
10-04-2013, 7:06 PM
One of these has popped up on the local equivalent to Craigslist for $550 bucks... good "jump on it" deal, or suggested pass? If I decide to take a look at it, what should be be on the lookout for?

I currently have two 6" jointers, one an equivalent vintage PM and the other a recent Delta X5 series. I'd likely sell the both once I've got the 8" in my shop...

Matt Day
10-04-2013, 9:13 PM
Seems like a good deal if it's in good shape and working. Is it single phase? Do a search here for pm60 and you'll get some good advice.

I remember cruising ksl when I lived in SLC!

Julian Tracy
10-05-2013, 9:17 PM
around me, in metro detroit area, I sold my X5 6" jointer for about $440, no extras included (mobile base, blades, etc.)

Most folks sell 6" jointers for way less, but there are people that will pay a good price once they see how ridiculous they are new $1000+!

Of course, then I picked up another exact X5 model that had never been used with the Delta mobile base for $300... good thing I kept my original set of xtra blades...

JT

Dave Cav
10-05-2013, 9:33 PM
I think the PM60 is pretty much the gold standard in 8" jointers. That is a pretty good price assuming it's intact; there isn't much to go wrong with one of them. I've used several, and converted two of them to Byrd heads. Good solid machines. If it's a lever adjustment machine, make sure you will like how they work; I hate them, but some folks prefer them.