PDA

View Full Version : Cermark Findings

Eddie Castaneda
10-04-2013, 5:19 PM
Alright guys I have attached a Picture of the cermark I have tried. I used the Pearl White and the Black. The Pearl White I had to mix and it took me a while to get it right, the black is out of an aerosol can which is giving me the biggest problems so far. also I have attached the power settings I used, Also this is an Aluminum Plate. Let me know what you guys think.

Mark Sipes
10-04-2013, 6:06 PM
I have never gotten good results with Cermark on Aluminum. Stainless yes... Might be a function that 25W is just not hot enough. Why Pearl on Alum? I have used it on Black plated (parkarized) Knives with good results.

Scott Shepherd
10-04-2013, 6:21 PM
Eddie, I can't make sense of your readings. You show 20,000Hz on rastering? My Trotec only does 1,000Hz on rastering if I remember correctly. What's the 20% of 55, max speed verbiage? I don't understand any of that.

I've done some rather large jobs of Cermark on Aluminum. Stuck really well. With your machine, I'd use 100 power, 15 speed, 1000Hz, 600DPI as a starting point. You should get a nice black mark on aluminum.

Dan Hintz
10-04-2013, 8:05 PM
On a side note, something for others to remember...

The suggested settings also assume the speed of a typical Epilog or ULS machine (abut 75ips)... the Trotec Speedy 300 runs at 140ips (isn't the Speedy 100 in the same speed range as Epilog and ULS machines?). 100% of 140ips is nearly twice as fast as 100% of 75ips, so you have to slow down even more.

AL Ursich
10-04-2013, 9:10 PM
Dan,

First time I had ever heard of that... Great Info....

AL

Scott Shepherd
10-04-2013, 9:20 PM
Dan,

First time I had ever heard of that... Great Info....

AL

Al, Dan is exactly right. All those recommended settings only work if you have a slow machine. Not a single recommended setting is even remotely close to work. Cermark, Alumamark, etc, are list settings that don't work for the faster machines.

greg lindsey
10-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Cermark can work well on aluminum, but, it takes a lot of heat to do so. 25 watts maybe just isn't enough. I have 60 watt machines and my runs are 100 p and 20 s at 600 dpi on aluminum, sometimes requires 1200 dpi if it's really thick aluminum. I learned long ago that if your having problems with cermark "sticking" try heating the part, often I will use a heat gun or a heating pad before spraying the part. This is proven to work. Hope this helps.

matthew knott
10-06-2013, 8:33 AM
Eddie, you asked what we think, and to be blunt you are wasting your time, you have a 30 watt fibre laser, you can get much better results with no cermark at all. On aluminium (and stainless) you can get from white to very dark grey with a tiny bit of playing, this is where your future is, put the cermark away and learn to use the fiber bit :)
lasermarkeddotcom this was done with a 20 watt fiber

Eddie Castaneda
10-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Matt, Thank you for the input! My Boss wants to try different things, I figured I should atleast see how it turns out. I'm messing around with the fiber laser every day and creating different settings for different materials, And to everyone else Im sorry my notes look all screwy I did it end of day Friday so I was trying to get out of here. I apologize for that.