PDA

View Full Version : kids and turning

Tim Sproul
06-01-2005, 10:06 AM
I searched and didn't see any obvious posts on this topic.

My sons (7 and 5 yrs old) are interested in woodworking and I try to fuel their enthusiasm....but hand sawing and chiseling at their age doesn't get them very far.

I don't turn *yet* but it just clicked in my head [picture 0.001 watt light bulb going off in my brain ;) ] that turning and it's "instant gratification" would do well for young ones.

How old have some of y'all let your kids turn....or how old were you when you first started?

got a Jet mini in mind and I've got an older Dunlap lathe that needs a new belt and motor wiring replaced.....

Jeff Sudmeier
06-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Tim,

I don't have kids, but I do have some relatives that are your kids' ages. I wouldn't want a 5 year old at a lathe. The 7 year old I would let use the lathe, but I would round out his blanks for him first. During the roughing stage seems to be where I get the nastiest catches, if you can avoid those for him, it will keep him interested.

Ed Lang
06-01-2005, 10:59 AM
My son is 9 and he loves turning on the Jet mini. He knows this ABC's of turning and remembers it! He makes pens and even uses the pen press to assemble them without my help. I have cut all of the blanks and drilled the holes in them so far. I do not feel good about him using the table saw just yet.

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/21723317-S.jpg

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/21723340-S.jpg

David Fried
06-01-2005, 2:08 PM
I had the same question and searched high and low for an answer. The winter 2005 issue of Woodturning Design had an article, "Turning with Children", which gave this information:

"This is a difficult question to answer, but I always ask the parent if the child listens and takes direction well. If the child is willing to listen to your instructions then you have half the battle won! In my opinion, a child age nine or older is a good candidate to learn to use the lathe."

I read this to my eight year and explained he was close to nine so if he was willing to really listen and follow instructions then I would let him turn a pen. He did great! It may be the ONLY time he has listened to me.

The biggest problems were dealing with the height of the drill press and the lathe. I agree with Ed - my 8 year old isn't getting near the table saw but drilling out the blanks seemed safe enough. He did a good job and listened well. I'm thinking about letting him drill all my blanks!:D I also insisted that he help in the clean up. He did a great job cleaning up around the machines. Why can't he do his room???:confused:

Hope that helped.

Fred Ray
06-01-2005, 4:40 PM
Tim: If you were into turningI'd suggest this: Buy the stuff to turn some pens. The seven year old could turn the wood blanks witha alittle help. Buy some polymer clay in several colors(available at most art and craft places). let the five year old mix and rool out the clay, wrap it around the brass tubes for the pens, bake according to instructions, then take the blanks to the lathe to turn tham true. Let both kids help with assembly of both wood and polymer clay pens. Get ready to spend a lot more money on pen kits, wood blanks, and clay. They are gonna love it. My daughter did this one in red, white, and blue polymer clay.

Steve Knowlton
06-01-2005, 7:10 PM
Tim, I Started My Son Turning When He Was 6. We Did This Together Until I Felt He Could Do It By His Self. He Only Turns When I Am In The Shop. My 15yr Old Turns By His Self, But He Also Is In High School.we Made Pens To Start. This Gave Him An Idea How To Use The Tools. I Love It When Young Ones Want To Do Something With Dad. I Have 2 Lathes A Mini, And A Jet 1426. I Sometmes Have To Wait To Turn. Great Problem To Have. Just Think Of The Memories You Can Build Together.

Tim Sproul
06-01-2005, 7:25 PM
alrighty.

Y'all have got me convinced I need to go get a Jet mini.

:)

Ed Lang
06-01-2005, 9:24 PM
Tim,

My suggestion would be the VS model. That said, I also turn bowls and find the VS to be a much welcomed option. IF I were to only turn pens and spindle work, the non VS would be fine.

I told my wife today that I needed a Oneway 2436 since our son is taking over the Jet mini... She said OK........ then asked how much..... My son in in the bed now so I can sneak down to the shop and turn for a little while :D :D

Dawn Sunkle
06-02-2005, 6:14 PM
ok.. Fred.. I'm telling my husband its your fault I have to go to the craft store ;)
That pen is awesome and now I have to try one too. :)
I had heard about using the clay, but had never seen one up close. Thanks for posting the picture.

Dawn

Dan Moening
06-02-2005, 7:14 PM
...hand sawing and chiseling at their age doesn't get them very far...

I came to that same conclusion with my kids (10yo daughter, and 7yo son).

My daughter took to it quite well and though easily intimidated, learned to turn a few beads and coves in her first session.

My son isn't quite strong enough to be forceful, but he's not afraid of it.

We have only tried a couple sessions thus far; but they have each expressed a continued interest.

As I'm still very new to it, we are all teaching each other ;)

If you think you have chisel sharpening figured out...wait to you get to bowl gouges. :D

John Hart
06-02-2005, 8:25 PM
Thanks for posting this Tim. I am seriously considering whether this is a good idea or not. I have two daughters 10 and 11. They are little but avidly interested in giving this a try. I'm hesitant because the thought of one little slip just rips me up. Hopefully I'll change my mind because I really want to introduce them to this.

Barbara Gill
06-03-2005, 5:05 AM
I started our granddaughter when she was 7. One of my bigest concerns was face protection. I bought a shield like mine and cut off part of the bottom so when it is down, it does not hit her chest. The head strap screws tight enough to fit her head. I also got her a Dust B Gone mask. Don't forget about protecting them!
I bought her a Mercury VS lathe which is on a Black and Decker Workmate. Age is not as important an maturity. I know some teenagers whom I would not allow close to a lathe or my shop for that matter. :D

Dawn Sunkle
06-07-2005, 9:24 PM
Thanks for posting this Fred. I am seriously considering whether this is a good idea or not. I have two daughters 10 and 11. They are little but avidly interested in giving this a try. I'm hesitant because the thought of one little slip just rips me up. Hopefully I'll change my mind because I really want to introduce them to this.

John.. I made two clay pens today.. I'm still blaming Fred.. but thats ok.. its a good thing. :)

The clay was much smoother to cut than wood (of course) but I think that your daughters would deffinatly be able to. I know when I put any preasure at all on it the clay just came whizzing off. I had fun playing with it.. posted a pic on a sewing/embroidery forum and within an hour I had 2 offers of folks wanting to purchase pens. I had posted several of the wood pens a while back and even though they like them.. I didnt get any offers to buy... so Tim.. Thanks :) I appreciate your posting the picture. :)

Dawn

John Hart
06-07-2005, 9:30 PM
Totally cool Dawn! Now I have a question for both you and Fred. What sort of finish do you use? Seems to me that the polymer clay has a very flat appearance. What's your procedure?

Tim Sproul
06-08-2005, 12:39 AM
John.. I made two clay pens today.. I'm still blaming Fred.. but thats ok.. its a good thing. :)

posted a pic on a sewing/embroidery forum and within an hour I had 2 offers of folks wanting to purchase pens. I had posted several of the wood pens a while back and even though they like them.. I didnt get any offers to buy... so Tim.. Thanks :)

Thank John, I was just asking a question to see when others had started turning or let their kids loose on that lathe.

Age is not as important an maturity.

I agree. Both my kids are quite responsible. My younger one is bit more timid .... especially since he bumped me while I was sawing and I wound up sawing a corner of my thumb off with my Kataba style crosscut saw.

If you think you have chisel sharpening figured out...wait to you get to bowl gouges. :D

Well....I'm gonna get me a fancy schmancy Lap Sharp or MK II to try and help me out with that.

I have to say that my 6 yr old has cut his own mortise and tenon using chisels and handsaw only. I did help a bit and the joint did need a bit of forcing with a dead blow since the roughly 4 sided shapes weren't quite identical :)

Thanks for posting this Tim.

No problem.....I'm gonna send you a PM regarding those blanks.

Andy London
06-08-2005, 8:41 AM
My son started in the shop with me as soon as he was able to walk<G>, I started him on the scroll saw having fun. At the age of 11 he started using bigger tools, mainly the bandsaw and started making bread knives, sold around 200 that fall, After a hurricane left us with woods we could only dream of three years ago, I bought him a jet mini. It came very natural to him and his work is amazing. He is now 14 and by the end of this year he will have saved enough to pay for a new car when he turns 16.....now he is saving for law school.

It's been great and I am VERY proud oh him, he has been featured in two magazines, did a live interview with CBC Radio (aired right across Canada) which generated a few hundred sales and has been in various newspapers.

He received an order yesterday from the Canadian Government as they are hosting a conference on the environment, his turnings will be given to the deligates and guest speakers, it's a huge order and I will have to help him with it.

We've always been close, but when your kids take an interest and love in woodworking like we do, well life just doesn't get any better!

http://www.picframer.ca/seth4.jpg
Standing in front of some of our wood stash

http://www.picframer.ca/seth12.jpg

http://www.picframer.ca/Seth1.jpg
Safety Equipment removed for this image, he wanted to show what he could get for shavings using a scraper that he sharpened himself :eek: :D

Andy London
06-08-2005, 8:57 AM
Thanks for posting this Tim. I am seriously considering whether this is a good idea or not. I have two daughters 10 and 11. They are little but avidly interested in giving this a try. I'm hesitant because the thought of one little slip just rips me up. Hopefully I'll change my mind because I really want to introduce them to this.

John, I thnk this would be an excellent idea. My daughter is now 12 and has been turning off an on for two years. She does not like it like my son does....cause she doesn't want dust in her hair :confused: She said I don't have to worry cause I am loosing mine :mad:

Now at special ocassions such as mothers day, christmas, birthday's etc. she and up to three friends have been in the shop, all girls her age turning projects for their special one. Now they are calling asking to turn things for themselves :eek: soooooo....One Saturday afternoon and evening she invites one friend over and we turn together, it's a blast to see their eyes light up.

http://www.picframer.ca/Esther.jpg

My daughter Esther pressing a pen

http://www.picframer.ca/kE2.jpg

Esther(right) and friend Katie

http://www.picframer.ca/katiepen.jpg

Katie's first pen

Jim Becker
06-08-2005, 9:50 AM
Andy, looks like Seth is going to be taller than you!! And as to your daughter's concern for her hair...she just needs to use a schmatta/doo-rag!! (Trust me, I know...)

I'm hoping that the kids we are hopefully adopting show at least some interest in turning or other woodcrafts. The older girl does apparently enjoy art, so we'll have to see how things turn out...

Fred Ray
06-08-2005, 9:57 AM
Very nice pens, Dawn. The sparkles with the purple look really good.:)

Fred Ray
06-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Boy, Andy! Looks as if you're trying to really put Nova Scotia on the woodturning map by creating all those new turners.:D I started my son at about 15. He's now 28 and has converted his roommate, who converted his brother, who converted their father to woodturning. And so it goes. Keep up the good work! I know you're proud - you oughta be!:D :D :D

Andy London
06-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Andy, looks like Seth is going to be taller than you!! And as to your daughter's concern for her hair...she just needs to use a schmatta/doo-rag!! (Trust me, I know...)

I'm hoping that the kids we are hopefully adopting show at least some interest in turning or other woodcrafts. The older girl does apparently enjoy art, so we'll have to see how things turn out...

At 14 he is 6' 2", size 15 feet...We have to travel to the states to buy his sporting shoes as 13 is the biggest around her....I am only a little over 5' 11"....as for hair.....mine takes a lot less time than hers!

I have found for the most part, kids love to learn and if one loves what they do, kids are really open to learn something new. I don't know how many kids have been through the shop this past year but I know a lot of parents are investing in shop tools rather than vacation this year<G>

Dawn Sunkle
06-09-2005, 11:16 PM
Totally cool Dawn! Now I have a question for both you and Fred. What sort of finish do you use? Seems to me that the polymer clay has a very flat appearance. What's your procedure?

Well.. I'm still playing with finishes.
So far I have tried the CA finish, a clear gloss that is like a paint (i dont remember the name but its from Krylon? ) and the last 4 that are currently drying are finished with a gloss glaze made by sculpy (figured if it was made for the clay then it might be a good idea) but the one I think I'm going to like the best... its a spray called Triple Thick and its a clear gloss.

I'll take more pictures when they are all finished and see which I like the best.

Dawn

John Hart
06-10-2005, 6:48 AM
Thanks Dawn...The kids are going to want a high gloss finish (to match the rest of their wardrobe):eek: I'd appreciate learning from your experimentation.

Fred Ray
06-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Dawn/John: Maybe you guys are already aware of this, but, in case. Here is a link to an article on a boiled linseed oil/ CA glue finish. It not the easiest thing to master, but it's the most durable finish I've found for pens, and with a little fine sanding and polishing, produces a very high gloss.

http://www.penturners.org/content/ca-blo.pdf

John Hart
06-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Thanks Fred! Printed it out and ready to go....grrrrrr Stuck in the office all day!

Dawn Sunkle
06-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Dawn/John: Maybe you guys are already aware of this, but, in case. Here is a link to an article on a boiled linseed oil/ CA glue finish. It not the easiest thing to master, but it's the most durable finish I've found for pens, and with a little fine sanding and polishing, produces a very high gloss.

http://www.penturners.org/content/ca-blo.pdf

Fred will the Linseed/CA finish work on the clay pens too?
I figured with the oil it wouldn't work.

But I printed it for my wood pens deffinately. :)
Thanks for posting it.
Dawn

Fred Ray
06-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Honestly, Dawn, I haven't tried it on ploymer clay. But, I'm reasonable sure it would work. I do know that it will harden over corian. I did some drawer pulls with corian inserts that I used the CA/BLO on. I really did not want any finish on the corian and it was a pain to get off. Give it a shot on the clay. If it messes up you can blame me for that also.;)