PDA

View Full Version : Delta 37-380 8" Jointer

Henry Kramer
10-04-2013, 11:01 AM
I purchased a Delta 37-380 8" Jointer this summer. It sat for 10 years out of the elements but in a cold damp shed and needed some TLC but mechanically it was in excellent shape, barely used and reasonably priced . I have cleaned up all of the surface rust and have it looking and operating like new however, I need some small parts (Scale, Scale bracket and Pointer) that are no longer available through Delta. I have been told that The Yorkcraft, which is also no longer made is the same machine so that may open another door for parts availablity but I am running into dead ends as to where to find these simple parts. My workshop is equipped with all older US made Delta/Rockwell and Powermatic machinery and this was the first non-US machine that I have ever purchased and I may have learned my lesson. Even though the Jointer will work just fine with neither a scale or pointer, I would feel much better with a complete tool with a non-rusty/corroded scale and pointer. So, with that....Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to what direction I may look to find these parts?

Thanks

Hank

Myk Rian
10-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Vintagemachinery.org has images of badges in the Wiki, if you want to try making one.
http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Decals.ashx
Scales and pointers from a 6" might fit the 8". That would take some research.
Other than that OWWM.org (when it gets back online again) is a great resource.
There are also parts available on Ebay.

Mike Gresham
10-04-2013, 11:27 AM
If I were going to go for a factory like appearance, I would rig up a pointer and zero the table. Then I would apply a piece of masking tape and mark 1/32 divisions by adjusting the table down and marking them. Armed with that I would scout out any scale that matched the tape. Brand wouldn't matter.

However, I probably wouldn't do that. I'd attach a metal pointer and blank scale and engrave it with my trusty engraving tool (one of those little vibrating jobs). I'm sure it would be more accurate than the scale on my Jet.

Ramon Urbina
10-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Hi, good day, i have the same joiter i also mine came with some parts missing, if you look at grizzly 8 inch jointer which is the same you can order parts from them, it fit exactly. i hope this help.

Henry Kramer
10-04-2013, 1:28 PM
Vintagemachinery.org has images of badges in the Wiki, if you want to try making one.
http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Decals.ashx
Scales and pointers from a 6" might fit the 8". That would take some research.
Other than that OWWM.org (when it gets back online again) is a great resource.
There are also parts available on Ebay.

OWWM.org will not accept any posts about non-US manufactured machines.

Henry Kramer
10-04-2013, 1:31 PM
Hi, good day, i have the same joiter i also mine came with some parts missing, if you look at grizzly 8 inch jointer which is the same you can order parts from them, it fit exactly. i hope this help.

That is good to know. I will try to download a Grizzly 8" Jointer owners manual and check that out.
Thank you

Matt Meiser
10-04-2013, 1:56 PM
If you wanted to get really nice tags you could have a member with a laser engraver make tags. Mike Null made me some for a Delta Bandsaw and they turned out awesome. I was able to supply him photos and he did the artwork from those. For your scales, obviously you'd need some precision.

Rick Whitehead
10-04-2013, 8:45 PM
Another option is to forget about the scale and buy a Wixey or other electronic angle gauge.
That's what I did for my Rockwell 37-315 8" jointer. I was able to locate all the other parts I needed, but I couldn't find a scale. So, I gave up and bought a Wixey when someone had them on sale. It works great!
Rick

Henry Kramer
10-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Another option is to forget about the scale and buy a Wixey or other electronic angle gauge.
That's what I did for my Rockwell 37-315 8" jointer. I was able to locate all the other parts I needed, but I couldn't find a scale. So, I gave up and bought a Wixey when someone had them on sale. It works great!
Rick

The scale and pointer are on the front side of the jointer to show the depth of the bed not the angle of the fence. As I said earlier, the jointer works fine it just looks either incomplete without the scale, bracket and pointer or unattractive with rusty ones. I did check out the Grizzly 656 8" jointer as suggested by Ramon, and although it's not the spitting image, there appears to be enough similarities that lead me to think that those parts may be interchangeable.

Myk Rian
10-05-2013, 3:56 AM
Rick
On a jointer? How do you use it on a jointer?
A planer, yes.

Rick Whitehead
10-05-2013, 8:12 PM
On a jointer? How do you use it on a jointer?
A planer, yes.

I make sure the fence is at 90 degrees to the table. I put the Wixey on the fence and set it at zero. Then I tilt the fence to the required angle.
I misunderstood what scale Henry was referring to. I thought it was the angle scale, not the depth scale.
Rick

Henry Kramer
10-12-2013, 6:46 PM
Well, I took your advice Ramon and ordered the parts that I needed for my Delta from Grizzly. They arrived in two days and they are identical. There are some differences in the machines to be sure but the depth indicator and pointer etc are the same. I just use them for a general gauge and certainly don't count on them for any degree of accuracy but the jointer looked naked without all of the parts installed. Turn the clock back a generation or two and there would not be any parts in common between a Delta/Rockwell machine and a Chinese import. Times change. Thanks again for the Grizzly suggestion.