PDA

View Full Version : General Internation 3 phase Jointer Problem

Lucien Bouchard
10-04-2013, 8:12 AM
Hi All. I purchase a use 8" General International Jointer. 3 phase, 600volt machine. 2hp. Magnetic Switch looked broke/tampered with when purchased, However parts inside switch looked 'ok' Other than that very clean machine. Plugged in Machine (to the proper 600 volt receptacle) at first the switch- not machine hummed but nothing happened. I dismantled the motor and blew out all the dust from the inside. I could NOT find a centrifugal switch or capacitor. I put the motor back together. The switch does not work when the cover is on (or green button is pressed) however if I take the cover off and press the plastic button (not the one the green button activates, another one in the switch box) with my finger the engine will turn and start. However, once I put the belts back on the machine so there is a little LOAD, the engine will NOT turn. It hums but wont start. I'm not a electrician, but I am confused. Thanks for the help.

Dave Cullen
10-04-2013, 9:19 AM
3 phase motors don't usually have starting caps and centrifugal switches. Wiring is really simple. When the contactor is energized you need to check phase to phase voltage on all 3 legs. PLEASE be careful man, 600 volts will kill you fast.

Lucien Bouchard
10-04-2013, 2:13 PM
Thanks Dave.

In anyones experience does this sound like a switch problem?

Thanks

Steve Rozmiarek
10-04-2013, 2:20 PM
I deal with 480 volt three phase electrical systems dailey, but I'm not a licensed electrician. It sounds to me like one of the three phase legs is not working. Could be a switch, fuse, breaker, phased wrong or a wire. You need to use a meter to diagnose, but make sure you know what you are doing because like Dave said, 600 volts is a lot of power. A "minor"accident with that will instantly melt screwdrivers or fingers, a major one is instantly fatal.