PDA

View Full Version : Looking for spray gun recommendations (turning specific)

Bill Hensley
10-04-2013, 7:29 AM
I'm considering upgrading my current spray gun, a Harbor Freight touch up gun with .8 setup. It has served my needs but atomization could be improved and the spray pattern width is too narrow so several passes are required. My mix ration also requires 4-5 coats to get the desired build.

I currently spray solvent base lacquer and plan to try WB lacquer soon. I would like to achieve the desired results with less coats and less passes.

I'm looking at the mini-guns on the market (HVLP, LVLP and RP) and don't need a big gun. It will primarily be used for bowls and hollow forms. I have a couple of bigger turbine driven HVLP guns for flatwork.

My preference is a gravity fed gun I can connect to the air hose. The turbine rig is too much trouble to setup and gets in the way when I leave it out.

So what guns are you using with what needle/nozzle setups for your turnings.

Please share your mix ratio used with your gun. Thanks

Mods: I've posted here instead of the Finishing forum because my focus is for turning. I understand if moving it is appropriate.

Dave Cullen
10-04-2013, 9:40 AM
The DeVilbiss SRI or Sata MiniJet are probably the best mini guns out there. Both will atomize fine enough to be used with waterbornes. Either can be had with a .8 or 1.0 tip. I spray automotive paints on small parts (motorcycles) with my Sata and a .8 tip everything from thin basecoats to heavier clears. For thick primers I switch to a 1.0 tip. The gun makes about a 6 inch fan which should be fine for turnings.

I can't comment on mixing laquers for wood, as I haven't dne that yet.

Bill Hensley
10-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks Dave, I'll check on those.

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-05-2013, 6:45 AM
I have a friend who builds kitchen cabinets for a living. He is a talented finisher and his everyday gun it a HF gun. His final results are good enough to not require any rubbing out. I have a CA Technologies Jaguar pressure feed gun and though my work was acceptable, it required a lot of hand rubbing to be what I want. My friend happened to be at my shop one day and suggested I let him mix my lacquer and set my gun that day. The difference was amazing. I spray Chemcraft precat lacquer. I was thinning it 10%. He thinned it almost 40%. That's more than the manufacturer recommends because they are trying to sell a finish that only requires two coats. That means less labor and less material to a big kitchen shop. I'm spraying small pieces so time and material are less important. Of course, thinner lacquer will also run easier and that requires the proper needle and fan settings to get an even wet coat. It also requires practice.
I don't want to talk you out of a new gun but the material you spray and the thinning will be important no matter what gun you buy. By the way, if you are not using the 3M PPS cup system you are working too hard at clean up time. Check it out, it makes spraying and cleanup a breeze.
faust

Eric Holmquist
10-05-2013, 7:28 AM
I use an Asturo WB Mini Gun with a 1.5 mm needle. I can spray EM6000 right out of the can, and with the 3 ox stainless steel cup, I can spray a couple bowls. I get great results with it and have used it for years.

Darryl Hansen
10-05-2013, 7:36 AM
Try the "Critter" It is a simple unit costs less than $50 and handles lacquer extremely well. Get the one with the stainless steel tube the aluminum breaks easily. One advantage for me is the clean up. The critter uses a pint mason jar. To clean it simply attach a bottle of thinner or acetone. You do not have the ability to change the spray patter but for turnings that is not needed anyway. I generally run out of the can Deft at 40#.

Bill Hensley
10-05-2013, 7:36 AM
Thanks guys, that's the kind of input I was looking for.