PDA

View Full Version : Burl bowl

John T Barker
10-03-2013, 10:46 PM
I don't complete things often enough so this is a rare experience for me. Hope you all like it.

Fred Belknap
10-04-2013, 8:33 AM
Really nice. I bet people on the turning forum would appreciate it. Some of them may never visit here.

Jim Becker
10-04-2013, 4:25 PM
Very nice! I made a similar one a number of years ago and it remains one of my most satisfying and interesting turnings. Bravo on yours!

John T Barker
10-04-2013, 6:01 PM
Really nice. I bet people on the turning forum would appreciate it. Some of them may never visit here.

It's not turned. They really don' t come to this part of the forum? That's too bad.

Dan Hintz
10-04-2013, 8:01 PM
It's not turned. They really don' t come to this part of the forum? That's too bad.

That's not true for all of us... ;)

Brett Robson
10-04-2013, 8:17 PM
That's amazing! Not turned? How did you make it? Router?

C Scott McDonald
10-04-2013, 8:54 PM
I don't complete things often enough so this is a rare experience for me. Hope you all like it.

I have to admit that me chuckle. Mostly because its so true in my case as well.

That is a great piece to be proud of to be sure.

Jim Becker
10-05-2013, 5:29 PM
My question, too!

John T Barker
10-06-2013, 12:45 AM

Yep, router. I spent way too much time making a duplicating router that didn't work becaues I was using a 1-1/2 HP router (too heavy.). Tore it down and made up a simple overarm set-up that allowed me to plane the top a finish the concavity by swinging the router pendulum like and spinning the burl on a pivot point (it was clamped in a holding jig.)
I got a kick out of seeing a beautiful plan in Shopnotes for a shopmade router duplicator...right after I had finished my piece. My plan is to make better set ups for the method I used as well as the duplicator with the possibility of more of this kind to sell?