PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle recommendation for aging parents

Charles Wiggins
10-03-2013, 8:09 PM
Folks,

My parents are having a lot more trouble getting around than they used to, and one of the major obstacles is getting in and out of the vehicle. Dad's mobility is really diminished so stepping down sideways into a standard sedan does not work well. He usually ends up "falling" the last couple of inches and scooting into place, and he has trouble lifting his legs so climbing up into an SUV is a challenge as well.

Can anyone recommend a vehicle that is somewhat in the middle height-wise? We're going to be looking for a good used vehicle so anything 2014 is out.

We realize that we may end up with a lift van eventually, but they aren't there yet, and until they are, I think dealing with a lift would be aggravating.

Thanks,
Charles

Myk Rian
10-03-2013, 8:19 PM
2010 and newer Ford Taurus.

Frank Trinkle
10-03-2013, 8:26 PM
Nissan Altima or Ford Focus. (Nissan would probably be better on mileage and reliability)

Von Bickley
10-03-2013, 9:11 PM
Nissan Altima or Ford Focus. (Nissan would probably be better on mileage and reliability)

I agree with the Ford Focus..... My wife is on her second one and we have had great service. A small car but it's easy to get in and out of, even for a fat old man.

Pat Barry
10-03-2013, 9:51 PM
My wife has a Toyota Rav 4 and it is easy to get in and out of because the height of the seat is perfect for easy entry and exit. Its also very economical and dependable. The only knock on it is for me, the drivers seat doesn't go back far enough to give me the legroom I like. For my wife though, its perfect.

Jim Matthews
10-04-2013, 7:22 AM
Measure his standing inseam height.

Look for a vehicle with a seat height that's close to the same level.
A seat slightly lower would be better than a seat that's slightly higher - less distance to slip and fall.

If he's of average stature, the Honda CR-V or Element are solid daily drivers.
I like the VW Tiguan, but it's more complex and heavier, therefore underpowered.

The sleeper, in my opinion, is the 2004-2006 Saturn VUE crossover which had the venerable Honda V-Tec 6 cylinder engine onboard.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/the-shock-of-a-hondafied-vue-car-news

David Weaver
10-04-2013, 7:33 AM
scion xb 2008+. The seat is pretty much at butt height right off the top and the position is upright. The only challenge with it for older folks would be that the pillars in the back impede view a little bit.

Steve Friedman
10-04-2013, 9:32 AM
Charles,

This may be off-base, and I certainly don't mean to offend, but am writing this out of genuine concern for the safety of your parents and others who may be affected. A 3,000 pound car is a potentially dangerous machine and should only be operated by people who have the physical and mental capacity to do so safely. I happen to be an Elder Law attorney and constantly advocate for the rights of seniors to retain their independence. But driving is not a prerequisite to remaining independent. I know it is very difficult, but please try to be as objective as possible in assessing whether it is safe for your father to still be driving. Unless they live in a very remote area, there should be tons of senior services available, including transportation services for your parents to get around. The primary concern is safety, but the cost of a driving service may actually be less than the cost of buying, maintaining, and insuring a car.

Again, no offense intended and it may be that your father's physical limitations have no impact on his driving ability. Based on your description, my intent is merely to raise awareness about a potential safety concern.

Good luck,

Steve

Curt Harms
10-04-2013, 10:04 AM
I understand where Steve is coming from but some people, as they age remain mentally capable but physically limited. It seems from media reports that the biggest problem for older drivers is intending to depress the brake pedal but depressing the accelerator instead and driving into a store or whatever. I wonder if there has ever been thought given to increasing the distance between the accelerator and brake pedals? At least among 'mainstream' vehicles, I doubt that many leave the factory with manual transmissions requiring room for a clutch pedal these days.

Patrick McCarthy
10-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Charles, one of our daughters recently got a 2013 Subaru Outback, and both my wife and I were surprised how easy it is to get in and out because the seat height just seems to be right. Easiest car I remember for getting in/out. We are both average in height . . . . although she is above average in looks, charm, personality, cooking skills, etc . . . .

Doug Ladendorf
10-04-2013, 11:09 AM
It would be worth looking at vehicles in the "small SUV" category which will provide a higher seat but not a high seat. These also generally provide good visibility. Our Subaru Forrester has been wonderful over the years and the all wheel drive feels secure in rain and snow. The Honda CRV and Toyota Rav4 also fall in this category. The Mazda CX-5 is also well rated by Consumer Reports.

Regarding Steve's comment, we just went through that with my parents a little over a year ago. It is a difficult decision and not one my dad was ready to make, but it was necessary. When the signs are there do your parents and everyone on the road a favor and make the call. It can save heartache down the road.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-04-2013, 11:24 AM
First, it's important to find out what your parents physical limitations are. Most elderly people find taller toilets and chairs easier to get use. Personally I am a big guy, have problems with both knees and due to a broken back I experienced in 2001 aren't as flexible as I might wish thus taller vehicles provide easier access. As suggested a Rav-4 or CRV might provide easier access.

As to Steve's comment, it's tough. Two years ago, my MIL, now age 90, began showing signs of not making good decisions while driving. She also became very nervous about taking the required licensing exam. Luckily, she decided she shouldn't be driving any more. None of her 3 children live locally so she keeps her car in the garage for their use when then come to visit but she no longer drives. While it is a loss of personal independence, there comes a time when decreased decision making skills and physical skills become a safety concern not only for that individual but the public at large.

Brian Elfert
10-04-2013, 11:25 AM
If someone is mentally sharp, but physically limited, do they still have the reaction time necessary to drive defensively and avoid accidents?

A mini-van might be a good choice since the seat is higher, but it might be too high.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Brian, I think that determination would have to be based on a specific individuals conditions and not as a generality.

ray hampton
10-04-2013, 12:14 PM
I find that I can pull myself up onto the car seat easier than having to pull myself up to exit my wife car , I drive a Jeep Liberty and it are not too hard to get in and sit down

Mike Chance in Iowa
10-04-2013, 3:53 PM
How tall are your parents? That will be a major deciding factor.

Earl Sullivan
10-04-2013, 5:13 PM
My lupus&arthritis ridden sister does well with a subaru outback.

My grandma, however, made sure to buy a house near the university my family traditionally goes to. Us grandchildren just park at her house(faster than finding parking on campus), and drive her around as needed.

Mac McQuinn
10-04-2013, 6:23 PM
Entry level, door size & weight plus step over height are all items to be concerned about. That said as mentioned the Scion XB is excellent for all of the above. Other vehicles to look at would be Mini vans, Buick Rendevous, etc. I dealt with a hip issue several years ago and found the "step over" to be a strong factor in entering and exiting a vehicle. A sitting position with commanding view also gives a person more confidence when driving. The angle a dashboard projects into door opening also can make entering a vehicle a breeze or pain(literally" on some vehicles. Before retirement, I use to enter or exit a vehicle 120 times+ in a 8 hour shift, different vehicle every (6) entrance/exits, you learn relatively quick what works and what does not.
Good luck,
Mac

Greg A Jones
10-04-2013, 6:36 PM
Charles,

This may be off-base, and I certainly don't mean to offend, but am writing this out of genuine concern for the safety of your parents and others who may be affected. A 3,000 pound car is a potentially dangerous machine and should only be operated by people who have the physical and mental capacity to do so safely. I happen to be an Elder Law attorney and constantly advocate for the rights of seniors to retain their independence. But driving is not a prerequisite to remaining independent. I know it is very difficult, but please try to be as objective as possible in assessing whether it is safe for your father to still be driving. Unless they live in a very remote area, there should be tons of senior services available, including transportation services for your parents to get around. The primary concern is safety, but the cost of a driving service may actually be less than the cost of buying, maintaining, and insuring a car.

Again, no offense intended and it may be that your father's physical limitations have no impact on his driving ability. Based on your description, my intent is merely to raise awareness about a potential safety concern.

Good luck,

Steve

Please forgive me also for taking the same track. However, as my 81 year old mother died this past February in a car accident, this is a subject near and dear to me. She was driving a Mercedes E350 at the time and I doubt there are fewer safer cars on the road. However, she simply failed to see a car coming and was T-boned at 60 mph. Thankfully she never knew what hit her and the folks in the other car suffered only minor injuries. Had she survived, her life would have been unbearable. So, I guess my comment is that before the type car is decided, the big decision is whether the elderly should even be driving in the first place. We knew she was coming to the point where we would have to take her keys - not a day goes by that I don't ask why we didn't.

Charles Wiggins
10-05-2013, 1:22 PM
Charles,

Good luck,

Steve

Steve,

I appreciate your concerns, and I share them. I am not offended (nor would my father be).
I'd like to point out, that I never said who would be doing the driving. We face the same problem regardless.

Brian Elfert
10-05-2013, 2:03 PM
I think that it would be natural for most of us to assume that you are looking for a vehicle for your parents to drive based on the original post.

If you parents won't be driving the vehicle that could change the recommendation. Do both your parents have issues getting in and out of vehicles? Do you need easy access to the rear seat? Many of today's vehicles may be easy to get into the front seats, but the rear seats often have small doors and little leg room. The assumption in a lot of vehicles seem to be that the rear seat is for kids. A minivan might be the best answer if you need easy access seats in the rear of vehicle. I would look for one with power doors as someone with limited mobility is going to have issues with the doors most likely. Luckily, power side doors are almost standard in recent years.

Jim Becker
10-05-2013, 5:54 PM
It wasn't clear to me from the OP about who would be driving, but in the end, that's not really the question.

I will say that my parents, who are 82 and 83 respectively and both have some ambulatory challenges due to knee and hip replacements, seem to be able to navigate in and out of Professor Dr. SWMBO's Subaru Outback well. They surprisingly are also able to get in and out of my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with just a hair more effort as long as I lower the air suspension to the "park" setting. For my mother, the front passenger seat is the best because of her knee difficulties. My dad also appreciates having an overhead handle to help with entry/exit from vehicles. The net of this is that something that's not way down low is generally better. The seats in many mid-sized SUVs and captains chairs in many crossovers and minivans are also more comfortable because they are a lot more like chairs.

ray hampton
10-05-2013, 10:17 PM
. I would look for one with power doors as someone with limited mobility is going to have issues with the doors most likely. Luckily, power side doors are almost standard in recent years.

What do you mean standard, NOBODY mentioned them to me beFORE