PDA

View Full Version : Replacements for "iGoogle"

Tony Joyce
10-03-2013, 3:34 PM
All,
I've been using iGoogle for my home page for a couple years and have come to like it. Now Google in it's quest to improve "my web experience" has decided to discontinue it. I love how software companies change interfaces in the name of improvement, when it worked great the way it was. And don't get me started on iTunes changes that have just make the program harder to navigate and do what I need to do.

Anyway back to the original question. Any good alternatives? I've tried igHome and Protopage. Both look acceptable on screen, but are lacking in useful gadgets that work correctly.

Thanks for any advise and letting me rant.

Tony

Larry Browning
10-03-2013, 3:48 PM
I have been on the same quest ever since they announced it was going away. Try Yahoo.com or even MSN.com or excite.com. Excite is one you don't see mentioned much anymore, but it is still around and is pretty close to what igoogle is.

Of course others will suggest making SMC your home page, so I thought I would be the first.:D

Matt Meiser
10-03-2013, 3:59 PM
I haven't really found a real replacement. They keep saying "Chrome" but I don't see any feature of Chrome that replaces iGoogle.

Phil Thien
10-03-2013, 5:43 PM
Yep, it is carp like this that makes me dubious of new Google "products." Not to single-out Google, but it seems like Google leads the pack at throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

David Weaver
10-03-2013, 5:58 PM
I would guess changes would be revenue driven. I liked igoogle a lot, but it didn't have the ability to get many Google ads to you like the sites that make you click around more.

That's good for us, but not good for Google, and Google does what's good for Google first.

Charles Wiggins
10-03-2013, 8:18 PM
Haven't used any of them:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/6-great-alternatives-igoogle.htm

Myk Rian
10-03-2013, 8:23 PM
Just so you know. iGoogle is on the way out, as per an email I received several months ago from them.
It will be shutting down on Nov. 1
http://www.google.com/ig and a popup tells you how many days left.

Pat Barry
10-03-2013, 9:56 PM
Just use Sawmill Creek as your home page. Why would you need anything else?

Tony Joyce
10-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Just so you know. iGoogle is on the way out, as per an email I received several months ago from them.
It will be shutting down on Nov. 1
http://www.google.com/ig and a popup tells you how many days left.

I thought I mentioned that in my original post!

Myk Rian
10-04-2013, 6:24 AM
I thought I mentioned that in my original post!
So you did. Sry.
I would suggest yahoo, but they've made so many changes, I try to stay away from it myself.

Wade Lippman
10-04-2013, 10:59 AM
I tried igoogle last year and didn't like it, so i stayed with yahoo. Now they have trashed yahoo, so I have gone to MSN. Not perfect, but okay.

Larry Browning
10-04-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm telling you, take a look at excite.com. They get hardly any press, but they are about the closest to igoogle as they come, maybe even better. It is very customizable and they have many of the same widgets as igoogle.

Tony Joyce
10-04-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm telling you, take a look at excite.com. They get hardly any press, but they are about the closest to igoogle as they come, maybe even better. It is very customizable and they have many of the same widgets as igoogle.

It would be pretty neat if you could delete what content you didn't like. I signed up for an account. It would not let me delete sports from the page or best fares and several others have no setting available. Also I don't see yet a way to add the gadgets I've come to love. Currency converter & Metric converter. GoComics, etc.

Larry Browning
10-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Well, as with everything there are trade offs. You are not going to find igoogle with another name. I don't actually use excite.com anymore, since switching to igoogle, but have always thought it was about as close as I could find. I too have been trying to find an alternative, and have pretty much given up finding the perfect home page. Plus, ever since I got a tablet, I have been using that to get my news, weather and sports fixes. I kinda like Flipboard for that. So finding an alternative to igoogle has become less important to me.

It surprises me that you cannot remove the content you don't want. I know you can make multiple tabs, so if you can't delete it, why not move it to another tab that you never click on?

Tony Joyce
10-04-2013, 12:13 PM
I'll continue to tinker with it. Currently "igHome" is the closest thing to iGoogle. Biggest problem is the gadgets, but they probably will improve if interest is sufficient. I'm not expecting to find a program like iGoogle, just one better:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
10-04-2013, 4:10 PM
I pretty much have decided not to worry about it. In MacOS, the only time I actually get the iGoogle page is the initial load of the browser. Otherwise, it's a normal "google" page. I only used the gmail and weather plugin and neither is critical to me.

Larry Browning
10-04-2013, 5:01 PM
This is the direction I have been going as well. I have been using my tablet for the basic things like email, news, weather and sports. It is rapidly becoming a non issue for me.

Stephen Tashiro
10-04-2013, 5:09 PM
The Google home page used to come up with links to maps, news etc. Now I find those links are missing. Did this happen to everybody? Or did it happen just because I signed up for a gmail account? The links are missing even if I don't sign-in to gmail.

Brian Elfert
10-04-2013, 6:35 PM
The Google home page used to come up with links to maps, news etc. Now I find those links are missing. Did this happen to everybody? Or did it happen just because I signed up for a gmail account? The links are missing even if I don't sign-in to gmail.

They kinda hid the links. You need to click on the grid like box next the 'SIGN IN' to get the links.

Myk Rian
10-04-2013, 7:07 PM
Pretty much all they have now is Google Plus
https://plus.google.com/

Michael Schneider
10-04-2013, 8:33 PM
I have been using http://www.ighome.com/

It behaves almost identical to igoogle

Good luck,
Michael

David G Baker
10-04-2013, 9:38 PM
I didn't read all of the posts but thought I would add my recent experience with Yahoo. They are changing their home page layout. I have had Yahoo as my home page since it started and have adjusted to their changes but this new change was something that I did not like at all. I looked at it but did not accept it and if I had I would never be able to go back to the home page format that I have been using for quite a while. The changes are probably good for people that are computer literate but the problems caused by these changes actually traumatize older people. I help several of my older friends when they have a computer problem and most of them use Yahoo. I am expecting several phone calls tomorrow when Yahoo gives them a problem getting to their original homepages.