PDA

View Full Version : Type of Rotary/Mechanical/Laser Engraver Needed

Caleb Smith
10-03-2013, 1:54 PM
Hi All,

I have a few questions I am hoping can be answered by people with more knowledge than me on the subject. I am looking at getting into small jewelry engraving as well as monogrammed items.

I want to have the ability to engrave the following -

Bamboo
Metals - Brass - Silver Plated - Gold Plated - Aluminum - Stainless Steel - Etc
Plexiglass/Acrylic
The ability to cut plexiglass/metal monogram letter necklaces
Knives
Flasks
Leather
Circular or curved objects

I don't think there is a "all in one machine" that would have the capability to do everything needed, but if I could be pointed in the right direction that would be great

From doing research I came up with some different machines - Gravograph IS400 - Roland EGX-300/350 - Epilog or Equiv Laser Engraver - totally open to any suggestions or recommendations.

Also - I know I will need Corel as well as other software if you could please share what would be the most user-friendly software to use that would be great

Thanks All,

Caleb

Caleb Smith
10-03-2013, 1:55 PM
Forgot to add - will mainly be doing fonts/letters/names - except for the bamboo which would be logos/pictures etc.

Joe Hillmann
10-03-2013, 2:26 PM
I want to have the ability to engrave the following -

Bamboo
Bamboo can be engraved with a co2 laser
Aluminum and stainless can be engraved with a co2 laser using cermark, you will have a hard time or not be able to to gold and brass, I am not sure if it works on silver. A yag laser could do all the metals without a problem also, so could a rotary machine.
Plexiglass/Acrylic
Plexi/acrylic can both be engraved and cut with a co2 laser, they can probably also be engraved with a rotary machine.
The ability to cut plexiglass/metal monogram letter necklaces
The plexi can be cut with a co2 laser. It will not cut metal, I don't think a rotary machine will cut through metal easly either. A yag or fiber laser could cut through metal if you have enough power.
Knives
Flasks
Knives and flasks can be most easly be done with a yag or fiber laser, with the use of cermark and a bit of time getting set up they can be done on a CO2 laser. Knives can be done on a rotary machine, a flask may be difficult to do on a rotary machine due to the curve.
Leather
Leather can be cut and engraved with a CO2 laser.
Circular or curved objects
Curved items can be done on any machine that has a rotary attachment to turn the work as it is engraved. It is very common to do curved work in a co2 laser if the item is made of a material that can be lasered or if it is made of a metal that cermark works on.

A co2 laser is probably the easiest machine to make work on a variety of items.

Dan Hintz
10-03-2013, 2:40 PM
Aluminum and stainless can be engraved with a co2 laser using cermark, you will have a hard time or not be able to to gold and brass, I am not sure if it works on silver. A yag laser could do all the metals without a problem also, so could a rotary machine.

You will not be able to make a lasting mark on gold/silver with Cermark... the first time someone goes to clean it the mark will wipe off. Brass of any significant thickness will also not work well as it's one heck of a heatsink... some thin brass might work, but you'll also be fighting heat warping. A typical YAG will not work on gold/silver for a permanent mark... if you really need to mark those two metals, you're better off going with a fiber in the UV range (355nm)... note, this will not be an inexpensive unit.

Joe Hillmann
10-03-2013, 2:43 PM
You will not be able to make a lasting mark on gold/silver with Cermark... the first time someone goes to clean it the mark will wipe off. Brass of any significant thickness will also not work well as it's one heck of a heatsink... some thin brass might work, but you'll also be fighting heat warping. A typical YAG will not work on gold/silver for a permanent mark... if you really need to mark those two metals, you're better off going with a fiber in the UV range (355nm)... note, this will not be an inexpensive unit.

A yag will engrave gold, you can try setting after setting after setting and it won't touch it, but once you get to the right settings it will blast it away.

Caleb Smith
10-03-2013, 2:46 PM
Counting out a laser/yag/fiber engraver for metal - would a rotary engraver be the next best choice to be able to engrave on metals - lighters/flasks/knives

Will definitely be picking up a Co2 laser

Joe Hillmann
10-03-2013, 2:51 PM
No, the next best thing would be a co2 laser with cermark or thermark. Here is a link to the thermark website that explanes what it is, how to use it and what to use it on. http://www.thermark.com/content/view/36/78

A rotary engraver could do lighters and knives fairly easy but may have difficulty with a flask cause they are often curved.

Edit. That thermark website shows thermark works on gold, silver, copper and brass, which it may but would require more than watts.

Second Edit. The website shows a chart that says cermark works on all the metals listed on lasers down to 30 watts, but from reading here on sawmill creek some of those metals are very difficult to make work or the mark washes right off.

Mike Null
10-03-2013, 4:52 PM
I do a lot of flasks with my Newing Hall. They are easy and nearly foolproof.

You can also cut certain softer metals with it though it is time consuming.

This addition probably isn't as relevant to the thread as should be but for what it's worth---I'm offering my Newing Hall for sale to my best customer as almost all the work I do is OP's and my nerves aren't what they used to be. I love the machine for all it can do but it seems the pressure builds with each new job.

Mark Sipes
10-03-2013, 5:28 PM
Ditto on the Flasks..... "They don't go out of focus" on a diamond or burnish tip cutter.....

Flasks, Jewelry boxes, Picture Frames, Watches, charms........ If you can hold it...you can engrave it....metal for sure

A rotary and a laser....... hard to beat. Add Sublimation and WOW! You have a shop!

Kathy Madan
10-04-2013, 3:23 PM
I am with Mike. We engrave all kinds of things with our Newing Hall and love it. Jewelry, flasks, glass, almost all metals, plastics and more. There are pros and cons to each style but I would not give my machine up for anything.