PDA

View Full Version : VBChat Short Falls

Richard Gillespie
06-01-2005, 8:44 AM
Aaron, for the past 4 weeks I've scheduled a chat on hand tools on Tuesday nights. A number of participants are experiencing problems using this chat format. I hear stories of having to use split screens to monitor incoming and outgoing messages. I've experienced slow and partial posting of messages. I've seen a number of participants give up trying to join the conversation. The idiosyncrasy of occasionally posting each word with the space bar is maddening.

Can anything be done to improve this? Again I ask that it be set up so that you can click on a participant's name and without going to a private chat so you can address the message to that person. This would avoid the necessity of typing the person's name to do so.

Not to sound ungrateful, I thank you for all your past efforts in setting up and de-bugging the chat room for us. I'm just seeking some improvements.

Ken Salisbury
06-01-2005, 9:25 AM
I've experienced slow and partial posting of messages. I've seen a number of participants give up trying to join the conversation. The idiosyncrasy of occasionally posting each word with the space bar is maddening.

Richard,

The solution to this one idiosyncracy is to not leave your cursor hovering over the "post" button. Leave cursor hovering either in the "post message" box or the main body of the window. Use "enter" to post your message instead of the "post" button.

Aaron will have to address the rest of your comments.

Richard Gillespie
06-01-2005, 2:54 PM
Richard,

The solution to this one idiosyncrasy is to not leave your cursor hovering over the "post" button. Leave cursor hovering either in the "post message" box or the main body of the window. Use "enter" to post your message instead of the "post" button.

Aaron will have to address the rest of your comments.

Thanks Ken;

I'm aware of the corrective action(s) required and still have it happen to me once in a while. However, several times during a chat session you might have to explain the corrective action required to a newly arrived chatter. I was hoping for a software fix.

By the way, I thought you were going to join us two sessions ago. Come jump right in anytime you like.

Rick

Aaron Koehl
06-02-2005, 4:50 PM
The issue you're experiencing is not a result of the software, but a result of the operator/browser combination (and isn't really controllable by web-based software).