PDA

View Full Version : Compass & Divider Storage Solution

Jim Koepke
10-02-2013, 10:01 PM
This is how one of the drawers shown in a previous thread is now being used.

Some of these, the 2 Staedtler compasses and components, were in the original plastic boxes they came in 30+ years ago. The boxes are getting a bit fragile. The other two dividers were found for a buck or less at yard sales. One is actually a compass with a point made from a 4d finishing nail replacing the lead.

The items were laid out on a piece of paper with a rectangle drawn the same size as the piece of alder used for the insert. A photo was taken and printed actual size. A soft lead pencil was used on the back and then the image was traced onto the wood to be cut out. Holes were drilled to accommodate the round tops of the instruments and the thumbwheels where needed.

Notches were cut into the side with a forstner bit and then scalloped with a gouge for a better finger hold.

There are a few other items that will be fitted into a piece under this in the bottom of the drawer.

jtk

Chuck Nickerson
10-03-2013, 12:13 PM
That's a well fitted drawer. Divider/compass storage is something I haven't yet tackled.
My 24" dividers ($15 at a garage sale) may complicate things, but I'm not giving them up.