PDA

View Full Version : Not the Bessy's but...

Keith Hankins
10-02-2013, 5:19 PM
Ya know I really miss the Bessy clasic parallel jaw clamps they use to have. The price was reasonable. I remember amazon use to put them on sale all the time. For a period, I'd buy one or two every other month. I even have a few of the real long ones for case work. Now, clamps are just stupidly expensive. I saw that woodcraft in the recent flyer had a deal on groz 4 pack with holder for gluing up doors for 99 bucks. I went by and looked at them today, and have to admit they looked good. I bought a couple kits (probably not going to use the gadgets for holding them but...) 2 24"'s and 2 40"'s. Basically 25 bucks a piece was a heck of a deal. Anyway. Worth a look if you need clamps. Ok I know you always end up with one clamp less than you need.

Dave Zellers
10-02-2013, 5:44 PM
Nice. The Jet cabinet set (same config) is up to $240 now. Crazy.

Ben Martin
10-02-2013, 8:53 PM
Nice. The Jet cabinet set (same config) is up to $240 now. Crazy.

Yea, I think when I bought my 2 sets of those they were $99 or something close to that!

John Huds0n
10-02-2013, 9:02 PM
Ya know I really miss the Bessy clasic parallel jaw clamps they use to have. The price was reasonable. I remember amazon use to put them on sale all the time.

Actually, Amazon just had a sale on the Bessey Revo clamps - a set of two 24" for $42 or a set of 2 40" for $50. That is about half price - I ordered 3 sets

Also with the Revo's (in case you didn't know) you can take one end of and combine two clamps with an extender
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014A44Y8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keith Hankins
10-02-2013, 10:37 PM
I"ve got a couple extenders and they are nice! I put two 60" together and it was a loooong clamp! I've not seen those prices in forever! I paid 80 way back when for two 60's and thought that was a heck of a deal. I can't tell you the times, those have paid for themselves.

Anthony Diodati
10-03-2013, 8:49 AM
But so the Groz clamps seem to be pretty good quality?
Wonder what they hit you for shipping?
My woodcraft is about 70 miles away.
Thanks,
Tony

Ya know I really miss the Bessy clasic parallel jaw clamps they use to have. The price was reasonable. I remember amazon use to put them on sale all the time. For a period, I'd buy one or two every other month. I even have a few of the real long ones for case work. Now, clamps are just stupidly expensive. I saw that woodcraft in the recent flyer had a deal on groz 4 pack with holder for gluing up doors for 99 bucks. I went by and looked at them today, and have to admit they looked good. I bought a couple kits (probably not going to use the gadgets for holding them but...) 2 24"'s and 2 40"'s. Basically 25 bucks a piece was a heck of a deal. Anyway. Worth a look if you need clamps. Ok I know you always end up with one clamp less than you need.

Keith Hankins
10-03-2013, 8:57 AM
I am fortunate that while I currently reside in PA, I work in Del two days a week and there is a good store in Newcastle Del thats 10 min from work. That's my low cal lunch (not cheap lunch), but I go to woodcraft. So, no shipping for me! and in Del, no sales tax :). Quality wise, they are the same as the besseys even down to rivet locations. Handles are actually better they are metal not wood and ridged so grip is better and I can get more torque on them. I only bought two sets because thats the most I could afford and slip them in the house unnoticed.

Anthony Diodati
10-03-2013, 10:40 AM
I only bought two sets because thats the most I could afford and slip them in the house unnoticed.
LOL
Sounds good, maybe since gas is down a little bit, I'll take a road trip.
I got a set of the Groz machinist squares, and they seem of good quality.

glenn bradley
10-03-2013, 10:59 AM
I love my old style Besseys and wish I cold still get them. The REVO's are bulky like the Jets and Cabinet Masters which I can do without. I am wondering if you have had a chance to use the Groz and, having Bessy K-body experience, if you could comment on the similarity or difference?

Adam Diethrich
10-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Those Groz clamps look an awful lot like Besseys...

I might even suggest that they are the same, minus some cosmetic differences.

Often times, things like this are contracted out to some other manufacturer and "branded" for one company or another.

A.W.D.

I love my old style Besseys and wish I cold still get them. The REVO's are bulky like the Jets and Cabinet Masters which I can do without. I am wondering if you have had a chance to use the Groz and, having Bessy K-body experience, if you could comment on the similarity or difference?

David Weaver
10-03-2013, 11:27 AM
What is the country of origin for the Groz clamps? I haven't found any clamp that's as convenient and quick to use as the old bessey clamps. The new big clamps are too bulky and have too many worthless gadgets on them.

John Huds0n
10-03-2013, 11:42 AM
The new handle alone on the Revo is worth it in my opinion. The old wooden handle hurts my hand if I have to tighten a bunch of them at one time :(

Keith Hankins
10-03-2013, 11:51 AM
I've got a case glue up this week-end, (work a regular job sadly during the week). I'll be using them side by side with the original bessy's I have, so I'll tell everyone. I think that sale is good through oct if I remember correctly. I chucked my flyer when I bought them. I said somewhere else the wood handle was the only thing I did not like about the original besseys. I never had a problem torquing them down, but after glue dried, sometimes popping them loose was a chore. Especially if your hands were sweating at all.

ryan carlino
10-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Just looking at the specs, the Groz are more like the Bessey Jr's. They have 3-1/4" throat openings, not 3-3/4" like on the full size Besseys. They don't list the max force, but my guess is they are closer to the Jr's.

Matt Ellis
10-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Actually, Amazon just had a sale on the Bessey Revo clamps - a set of two 24" for $42 or a set of 2 40" for $50. That is about half price - I ordered 3 sets

Also with the Revo's (in case you didn't know) you can take one end of and combine two clamps with an extender
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014A44Y8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My two sets of 40's (missed the 24's) should be here next week. Looking forward to them.

I had always used cheap clamps until a couple of months ago. A fellow creeker was getting out of the hobby, and I managed to pick up a few things from him for VERY good prices. Among those was a pretty large selection Bessey and Jet clamps. My word, what an upgrade. Worth EVERY penny of the extra cost over the generics available.

glenn bradley
10-03-2013, 6:58 PM
Just looking at the specs, the Groz are more like the Bessey Jr's. They have 3-1/4" throat openings, not 3-3/4" like on the full size Besseys. They don't list the max force, but my guess is they are closer to the Jr's.

There might be some confusion here. My original Bessey K-Body clamps have about 3-3/8" between the bar and the end of the jaw. My Uni-Klamps are just under 3-1/4". I haven't ever held the REVO juniors but assume they are somewhere in between in jaw size. cLamping pressure is another story but, I've never had the need to crush anything to get it joined up; wood does have some give to it and no one wants a starved joint.

The current REVO's have 3-3/4". Woodcraft used to sell K-Body look-alikes in green that were similar in size with a rounded top to the fixed jaw. I was looking at buying a boat-load of original K-Body clamps from a member but, the shipping killed the deal ;-( I guess I'm just hoping for a decent clone. The Peachtree and other knock-offs I have had my hands on are really cheap imitations at an only slightly lower price point. I definitely don't have room in my shop for clamps I won't use so I can't go there. I'll be anxious to hear Keith's experience with these. ;-)

Keith Hankins
10-03-2013, 8:57 PM
Wow had lots of notes from folks and a lot of questions. Well I spent some time tonight comparing them to my Bessy's. First I need to level set things. I like the old style bessy's. I've never been a fan of the big bulky clamps. To me those are just too big and get in the way. I was never a fan of the b-line that bessy put out or the woodcraft line. So when I saw the add, I was very interested. Ok here is a link to some close shots with the Groz beside the classic. First capacity, they are the same, design is a dead copy IMO. Steel body's are both 9mm. Heads are the same from plastic thickness to rivet placements. Only dig I found on the GROZ is the two rivets at the body is stamped not the nice peened rivet on the bessy. The handles goes to the GROZ hands down. Nice heavy metal attached with a rolled steal pin. I put them through the paces tonight and I can grip them well they are very smooth. I opened them to the max width and held them verticle and dropped the heads repeatedly and all dropped smoothly. I put them on a tight clamp tonight and will let them set for 24hrs and then see how easy it is to break them free. All in all they look like black bessy's. As to the question on where they are made, it is india. I hate that and if bessy still made my favorites I buy them. Anyway below is the link. I'd buy them again. I still search craigslist all the time for old bessy's for sale. But at 25$ a piece, I can say I think they are worth it! http://flic.kr/p/gmuj5B