PDA

View Full Version : Stink bugs

Kevin Bourque
10-02-2013, 4:15 PM
Anybody else getting invaded by stink bugs? I've killed at least 300 in the last 4-5 days.

David Weaver
10-02-2013, 5:03 PM
More here, but not to that level - just one here and there shows up on a window outside. It's the time of year they look for a place to winter, so we're going to see more of them.

Dan Hintz
10-02-2013, 7:03 PM
They're not as bad this year as last... only found 3-4 in the house so far. Last year I was finding 15-20 per day in the house.

Fred Voorhees
10-02-2013, 7:19 PM
They're not as bad this year as last... only found 3-4 in the house so far. Last year I was finding 15-20 per day in the house.

I'm in the same situation as Dan above. Last year we had tons of them and I was vaccuming up seven at a time sometimes in our upper hallway. This year...we may have found possibly six or seven all summer. Over the last few days however...I am definitely noticing them. Had seven on the screen in our bathroom window yesterday.

Christopher Collins
10-02-2013, 7:53 PM
Don't kill them in your house, the smell of the dead ones attracts more. They gather in groups in the fall because of a pheromone. When you swat one, it releases more of the pheromone and all the other stink bugs smell it and come running (or flying I guess). Lady bugs do the same thing. If you've squashed 300, your house probably smells like the biggest stink bug party in town.

David G Baker
10-02-2013, 11:46 PM
This has not been a bad year for me. There are a few showing up but nothing like the past. I flush most of mine down the toilet. I catch them in a pill bottle, cover the opening with a piece of card board, place them in the toilet, cover them with a tissue/tp and send them on their way.

Doug Ladendorf
10-03-2013, 7:09 AM
These things are such a pest. They started showing up in force a couple of weeks ago. I don't think it's as bad as last year but its still early.

Chuck Darney
10-03-2013, 8:50 AM
In the last few days my wife has collected - in a glass filled with soapy water - several hundred. I suspect that they've gotten thick because the farmers in the area are harvesting their crops. I've seen several cornfields in the area that have been taken down in the last few days. I'm guessing that's where the stink bugs have been and now they need a place to hole up for the winter. They're pretty annoying but at least they don't bite or sting.

Brett Robson
10-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Here's an option! Excerpt from an article I saw the other day :

Stink bugs
Their name certainly doesn't lend itself to culinary appeal, but stink bugs (Hemiptera order) are consumed throughout Asia, South America and Africa. The insects are a rich source of important nutrients, including protein, iron, potassium and phosphorus.
Because stink bugs release a noxious scent, they are not usually eaten raw unless the head is first removed, which discards their scent-producing secretions. Otherwise, they are roasted, or soaked in water and sun-dried. As an added benefit, the soaking water — which absorbs the noxious secretions — can then be used as a pesticide to keep termites away from houses.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/10/02/7-insects-youll-be-eating-in-future/

Brian Tymchak
10-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Here's an option! ... they are roasted, or soaked in water and sun-dried.

... you first... :D

Dan Hintz
10-03-2013, 1:11 PM
I think I'll stick with my chewable vitamins, thank you very much ;)

Mel Fulks
10-03-2013, 1:24 PM
I see them outside only. Seeing them inside is natures way of telling you to buy a caulking gun. When they are on the screen I flick and they go flying off like planes catapulted off an aircraft carrier. They even look like those stealth planes.To save someone even older me the trouble of posting ,I state for the record that was not possible during the former depression as stealth planes had not been invented. Not sure about carriers.

Myk Rian
10-03-2013, 2:21 PM
The last 2 years they were hatching in the cedar chips and maple seeds. A prolonged attack with sevin and malathion was a game to them. They just kept coming.
This year, only a few dozen of them have showed.

Now, Cicadas is a different story.

Doug Ladendorf
10-03-2013, 3:06 PM
The insects are a rich source of important nutrients, including protein, iron, potassium and phosphorus.

Perhaps we have just been looking at them the wrong way. Under most circumstances the idea of self-delivering food would be a good one.

Joe Tilson
10-03-2013, 4:09 PM
If you guys want some, we have plenty. Have bugs will ship.

Brad Adams
10-03-2013, 5:14 PM
No stink bugs here, but I've got plenty of box elder bugs.

Kevin Bourque
10-03-2013, 7:13 PM
I didn't know they were attracted to their squashed brethren. I think that's why I have so many of them.