PDA

View Full Version : NRA 600 Band Saw

bruce Humphrey
10-02-2013, 3:21 PM
Hi,
I am looking for a dedicated resaw bandsaw. not really for veneers, but more for resawing rough cut timber. I would like at least 13-14 inch vertical capacity, 3HP, big table is preferred. budget is 3K max, but would prefer to be below 2K. I like the idea of the Hammer N4400, but don't know what real retail is. have been looking on CL for several weeks and seeing nothing. A friend offered to give me an NRA 600. it is in good shape. 3 phase, it looks like the metal bar where the fence would attach is bent. new blades. he said he had trouble with it breaking blades but had the wheels balanced.
I only have single phase 220. could it be converted to single phase? I guess I could get a phase converter. seems like the NRA might have been made by Agganazzi. I am not necessarily into fixing up old tools for fun like some are, but I am capable and gladly will in order to save money. is it worth fooling with? is there new saw that is better? should I be looking somewhere besides CL?

Thanks,
B

Erik Loza
10-02-2013, 5:18 PM
Bruce, where are you located, out of curiosity.
Thanks,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

bruce Humphrey
10-02-2013, 5:27 PM
N. GA 100miles from ATL

Larry Browning
10-02-2013, 6:23 PM
For the money you are spending (zero dollars) you could afford to buy a very nice single phase motor to save all the hassle of hooking up the 3 phase. You could also afford to spend money on fancy accessories like an after market fence and table. This just seems like a no brainer to me. Does it have all the capacity you are looking for?

bruce Humphrey
10-02-2013, 6:35 PM
For the money you are spending (zero dollars) you could afford to buy a very nice single phase motor to save all the hassle of hooking up the 3 phase. You could also afford to spend money on fancy accessories like an after market fence and table. This just seems like a no brainer to me. Does it have all the capacity you are looking for?

Yea it's plenty big. the motor doesn't scare me too much, but I worry about the wheel bearings, guides, table squareness, fence availability, stuff like that. is all that stuff fixable given enough time and money or are some parts for old machines like this not around at all?

David Kumm
10-02-2013, 8:03 PM
If the machine was quality when new, age won't matter. Bearings are cheap as the wheels turn slowly so you don't need high precision. If you are not doing veneer you need power and capacity. A strong frame and a vfd will take care of lots of problems. Used 24" steel saws come up often and are a bargain. Dave

bruce Humphrey
10-02-2013, 8:57 PM
If the machine was quality when new, age won't matter. Bearings are cheap as the wheels turn slowly so you don't need high precision. If you are not doing veneer you need power and capacity. A strong frame and a vfd will take care of lots of problems. Used 24" steel saws come up often and are a bargain. Dave

VFD? sorry im new

Myk Rian
10-02-2013, 9:01 PM
Variable Frequency Drive, for 3 phase motors.

Larry Browning
10-02-2013, 9:58 PM
A vfd allows for variable speeds of a 3 phase motor using single phase power.

Rick Fisher
10-03-2013, 2:04 AM
For the money .. an MM-16 would be a good fit . probably about that money if your near Atlanta..

Jim Andrew
10-03-2013, 7:45 AM
I have an 04 MM16, and it will resaw some huge stuff, only up to about 14", but when you resaw those big pieces you need help unless they are very short. Long pieces can get you in trouble, unless there is someone on the other end. The later models will resaw higher, and they have more HP. If your friend's saw is one built by Centauri, was built by the same company as Mini Max.

Erik Loza
10-03-2013, 9:15 AM
For the money .. an MM-16 would be a good fit . probably about that money if your near Atlanta..

Yeah, this is the reason I asked. The NRA was indeed manufactured by Agazzani, who are now defunct. Very high quality machine (nicest fit and finish of any of the Italian saws, IMO...) but because of this, getting major structural parts will be a real challenge. As Dave pointed out, if it is just bearings. belts, things like that, those you can ource out from any number of places.The one piece of advice I would give anyone who is searching for a bandsaw, whether used or new, is "you can never go too big". Buy as much as you can afford and as you have the room for.

Bruce, if you are interested in a new Minimax machine, shoot me a PM offline and I will get you in touch with the dealer who handles GA. A new 24" will not be in that price ballpark but an MM16 will, as will the smaller S45N.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA