PDA

View Full Version : skewed rabbett plane

Noah Wagener
10-02-2013, 2:57 PM
i picked up a skewed rabbet plane and was wondering if it is only to be used with the pointed part of the blade against the rabbett wall? Sometimes the wood wants to be planed left handed but the blade is wider than the plane. the way i have it set up, when the blade is flush with the right face of the plane it protrudes evenly from the sole. If i were to tap it to the right so that the heel side of the blade is flush with the left side of the plane then it protrudes deeper on that side.

Jim Koepke
10-02-2013, 4:57 PM
Not sure about the plane you are using. My skewed rabbet planes are all wood body models. There is usually enough room around the blade to slide it from one side to the other without the blade having to tilt.

Your blade may be a bit wider than needed. The blade only needs to be a few thousandths wider than the plane holding it to work from either side.

Ideally for your situation you would have a left and right hand version of the skew rabbet. Though it is not 100% necessary.

jtk

Zach Dillinger
10-03-2013, 8:36 AM
I agree with Jim on all points. Your blade may not be the original to the plane and is likely too wide.

I have several wooden skew rabbets that I like to use, but the easy way out is to find a square rabbet. They are tougher to find but they are out there. I use the skew rabbets I have, but in instances when I need to go the "wrong way" on a work piece I will just grab one of my shoulder planes after as much as I can with a chisel. Quick and easy.

Noah Wagener
11-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding. I forgot i had pose questions on here.

The blade is about 1/8 to 3/16 wider than the body of the plane. I did notice that when the blade is flush with the right hand side and protruding evenly on the bottom; the tang (proper term?) of the blade is also pushed to the far right of the plane. I think if I plane the bottom of the plane more on the right then i can move the tang to the middle when the blade is properly aligned on the bottom. Then hopefully i can move the whole blade to the right to flush the blade with the left side when i want to plane left handed.

Sorry if i gave you headache with that. Before when the wood dictated that i plane with the left side of the blade against the wall of the rabbet i'd simply tap the bottom of the blade so it would tilt. It never dawned on me to loosen the wedge at top and move the whole blade without tilting it. I could not have anyways as the tang was as far right as possible but i think relieving the right side of the bottom may rectify this and/or removing some wood so the tang can be moved mor to the right.

I dont think that effort was any clearer. It is hard for me to explain without showing the tool while i do it.

I think it is a good tool for ten dollars though. It has a laminated blade. Is this common on rabbett or moulding planes?

Oh, and the mouth is gaping. Like half an inch. could that use a patch? In books i read they always patch bench planes so maybe it is not that important in these planes?

Jim Koepke
11-17-2013, 2:16 AM
Noah,

Do you have any way of posting pictures? To see what is taking place would be a real help.

I am not sure I would try to make the wood fit the blade. It sounds like you may have a blade from another plane. It may be better to work the blade to match the wood.

A lot of older planes have laminated blades.

jtk

Noah Wagener
11-18-2013, 2:30 AM
i don't think i could elucidate what i'm talking about unless in person or with video at the least.I think maybe i'll just tighten the gaping satchel mouth and hopefully that will help with planing uphill and not worry about planing lefty.

thanks