PDA

View Full Version : Repairing small rotten ext. wood, Help

Gary Hern
05-15-2003, 5:26 PM
Hi All,

A few years back I bought and used a product to repair a rotten area on a board. The product soaked into the rotten wood and fortified it. Does anyone know of a similar product, it's name, and where I can buy it? A customer is selling his house and he has a non structural board that is very difficult to replace, and would like an inexpensive fix. Any ideas?

Gary

Brian MacDonald
05-15-2003, 5:38 PM
I've used Minwax wood hardener, plastic resin that goes on really thin and sets up in about 3-4 hours. HD should stock it.

Barbara Gill
05-15-2003, 5:54 PM
There is an epoxy for marine use called Get Rot. Works great.

Gary Hern
05-15-2003, 7:52 PM
Thats the one I was thinking of! No wonder I couldn't find it at the Borg.

Brian, I've never used the minwax. Sounds kinda like the same thing. Might just give it a try on this one as the Get Rot isn't as easy to find here.

Thanks!:D

John Miliunas
05-15-2003, 9:29 PM
Gary, if it's a piece which will get solid color paint over it, plain old automotive "Bondo" will do the trick. Had to do that at the old place on a couple non-structual trim pieces and our local hardware store had little in the way of wood repair materials. I had the "Bondo" sitting in the garage and figured, "Why not?" Worked pretty slick. :cool:

Rick Potter
05-16-2003, 3:10 AM
I fixed a rotten windowsill on the outside of a rental about 10 years ago. Still looks great.

Rick Potter

Craig Honeysett
05-16-2003, 6:13 AM
If you have a Rockler store in St. Louis, they carry a line of products for repairing rotted wood as well. Unfortunately the name escapes me.

Tom Gattiker
05-16-2003, 9:01 AM
...makes a 2 part epoxy liquid and a 2 pt solid. The minwax product is simialr. However, if you have a lot to do you should look at their products because I think they will be more economical (bigger package). The trade name is woodepox. For non-structural repairs, bondo is fine. But if you need strength, you need an epoxy product.