PDA

View Full Version : Ash for DT Drawer Boxes?

Brian Parker
10-02-2013, 10:14 AM
I'm getting ready to make a corner tv stand and plan on incorporating a couple of drawers into the unit. The dilemma is what to make the drawer boxes out of as the main piece is going to be a nice dark reddish finish over cherry. I thought about the typical maple but saw some ash that someone local wants to get rid of (air dried) for around a buck a bf. It's not a huge savings but it got me wondering how that would look. I've never worked ash before but wanted to get some feedback from others to see if they've done it and if so what they've used for the drawer bottoms.

Yonak Hawkins
10-02-2013, 2:28 PM
Brian, I think ash would look nice. Especially if you're looking for a contrast between the drawer boxes and the rest of the piece. They will be strong drawers, to be sure.

When you say it will have a nice dark finish over cherry, I would be careful not to make it too dark. In a few years it could be so dark you can't really appreciate the beautiful cherry wood.

Brian Holcombe
10-02-2013, 6:51 PM
I have built one project combining white wood with a deep red wood and regretted it. I used maple for the drawer body inside of a bubinga case and since regretted it, I feel it would have looked better all in the same wood or in a wood of the same family of colors. Red woods don't seem to play well with light woods in the same way that brown woods do.