PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit laser pointer modification for easy alignment

Ernie Balch
10-01-2013, 4:10 PM
The laser pointer on my Rabbit laser always drove me crazy. It pointed down at a 45 degree angle toward the CO2 laser spot. It was never exactly at the right place and changed location depending on the substrate height. Finally I decided to fix it.

I took the angled laser mount off and flattened it out with a hammer. After reassembly the laser spot points straight down and is located 28 mm to the left of main lens.

To align to a substrate I create a box around the engraving image representing the substrate size and align to the lower left corner with the red laser. Of course I have to offset the origin in the Corel lasercut printer driver by 28 mm to the right so the origin matches the CO2 laser position.

I made a step by step how to PDF file with photos and screen shots, I can email it to anyone interested. Just PM me.

ernie

Dennis Watson
10-02-2013, 8:53 AM
Currently I am ok with with the pointer, it is really only useful for showing where the laser will burn "if" you have the Z height right. I was wondering if you could make a plate to put the pointer above the head and have it actually pointing thru the last mirror and down thru the lens, and have a hinge to flip it back out of the way to burn. Maybe have a micro switch to prevent the laser from firing when the pointer was in the way.

Glen Monaghan
10-02-2013, 1:07 PM
Two pointers spaced 90 degrees apart (one at left or right of final mirror and one front or back of that mirror) and pointing inward to intersect at the focal point might be workable.

Kevin Braat
10-02-2013, 9:27 PM
Two pointers spaced 90 degrees apart (one at left or right of final mirror and one front or back of that mirror) and pointing inward to intersect at the focal point might be workable.

I mounted two laser lines on mine at 90 degrees apart. Still mark the spot of intersection regardless of the focal height. I created a mount out of a scrap piece of plastic with two laser lines and a battery pack. Costs less than $10. I made a fancier one on the 3d printer, but sold that one to another laser user. I'll have to make myself another fancy version.

Dave Sheldrake
10-03-2013, 5:58 AM

cheers

Dave