PDA

View Full Version : Delta miter saw, lasers dead

Tim Phllips
10-01-2013, 1:46 PM
Hi Guys,

Have a Delta 12" miter saw (36-255L) that that lasers are dead on now, get nothing when switching on. Wondering if anyone has repaired or has any info on it? Emailed delta and they basically said to send it for repairs.

Not exactly worth it, would be easier to just replace it with a new tool. Can't seem to find much info. I did find there is a replacement laser power supply(905372) that is around ~$50 but I'm not 100% sure that is the problem.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Curt Harms
10-02-2013, 4:13 PM
Hi Tim

If you're sorta familiar with electricity, there's a connector at each laser module. I unplugged the connector and was able to check for DC between the 2 pins. My power supply was okay, as I recall it read a little over 3 volts. I swapped leads and established that the laser module itself that was bad. Maybe bypass the switch to make sure the switch isn't bad? If the power supply itself is bad - no power on the pins - could you somehow work a wall wart/3 volt D.C. transformer in? I know a lot of people scoff at lasers on miter saws but in less-than-perfect light, I find 'em useful. If you or someone reading this wants a laser that will project a line, I used this vendor:

http://thelaserguy.stores.yahoo.net/laserdiodes1.html

I had to use 1 wrap of electrical tape around the barrel for the replacement diode to fit snugly.

Kevin McCluney
10-02-2013, 8:52 PM
I had the laser power supply fail on my Delta. After confirming that the power supply was the culprit I went to a local electronic supply store and found a power supply (aka "wall wart") with suitable specs and dimensions for ~$15. I cut its case off with a Dremel and installed it where the original sat (within the handle) - voila!, lasers back in business. Unfortunately I've since had one of the two lasers die, or, more accurately, get so dim it's unusable (I'm not sure it's still coming on at all). A replacement laser from Delta is expensive; I'll have to check out the link provided by Curt. I find the lasers useful, too.

Dan Rude
10-03-2013, 10:21 AM
My miter saw was before lasers, I picked up a Irwin module that mounts on the arbor. I see them on sale quite a bit for $10-15.
They work fairly well for my needs.
Dan

Kevin McCluney
10-10-2013, 6:02 PM
Follow up: I searched eBay and found a compatible laser module for $5.95 (somewhat better than the $89 for the Delta part). Installation was easy - I had to wrap the laser barrel with tape to get a snug fit and the wiring was a snap. Now my miter saw is back to its full complement of two lasers. Woo hoo!

Charles Lent
10-10-2013, 6:25 PM
Could you post the eBay source for your laser? I too need one.

Charley

Kevin McCluney
10-11-2013, 3:26 PM
Here's a link to the one I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150828205147&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160 Note that its diameter is 9mm; a 10mm would be ideal, but I used vinyl tape to make up the difference.

Charles Lent
10-12-2013, 9:32 AM
Thanks Kevin.

Charley

Rayman Nasr
01-06-2014, 9:00 PM
I had the laser power supply fail on my Delta. After confirming that the power supply was the culprit I went to a local electronic supply store and found a power supply (aka "wall wart") with suitable specs and dimensions for ~$15. I cut its case off with a Dremel and installed it where the original sat (within the handle) - voila!, lasers back in business. Unfortunately I've since had one of the two lasers die, or, more accurately, get so dim it's unusable (I'm not sure it's still coming on at all). A replacement laser from Delta is expensive; I'll have to check out the link provided by Curt. I find the lasers useful, too.

Any more info. on the power supply? Mine went bad also and I can't seem to find one, or at least I don't know what the specs are. Thanks.