PDA

View Full Version : Carolyn's Walnut Beauty

Roger Chandler
09-30-2013, 5:48 PM
This is a form that was requested by a very nice lady at our church [Carolyn E.] , who saw another pedestal bowl I had done and just had to have one for herself! ;) I am fond of pedestal forms for the most part, and seem to get requests for them from time to time. This one I think is a particularly pretty piece of wood, and the pics don't do it justice...........it has presence and looks better in person than in the pics, IMHO! ;)

This is 12" wide at the flared out rim and 7" tall. It went through 4 complete sanding sequences with all the grits from 80-400 because of the swirling grain and limb pockets, and it has 4 coats of wipe on poly as a finish. Comments welcome!

Dennis Ford
09-30-2013, 6:54 PM
Very nice, this is clearly a beauty. Walnut is tough to get decent photographs of; perhaps an expert will chime in on suggestions on how to capture the character of pieces like this.

Mike Tilley
09-30-2013, 6:56 PM
Roger
I'am sure she will love this nice job and a great looking piece of walnut.

Sid Matheny
09-30-2013, 7:47 PM
Sweet!!!

Sid

Roger Chandler
09-30-2013, 8:37 PM
Very nice, this is clearly a beauty. Walnut is tough to get decent photographs of; perhaps an expert will chime in on suggestions on how to capture the character of pieces like this.

Dennis.......is there something about the pics you find objectionable? I don't have a good photo setup yet.......that is on my list however! ;)

Roger Chandler
09-30-2013, 9:08 PM
Sweet!!!

Sid

Thanks Sid!

charlie knighton
09-30-2013, 9:08 PM
nice piece Roger, i like #5 pic, shows a lot

Dan Kralemann
09-30-2013, 9:18 PM
Roger, This is a beautiful piece. It is a form that I would like to do. If you would share how much of the pedestal material was removed and how thick is the side of the pedestal. Thank you. Dan

Dennis Ford
09-30-2013, 9:27 PM
Dennis.......is there something about the pics you find objectionable? I don't have a good photo setup yet.......that is on my list however! ;)
The pictures are better than I can take, I did not intend to be negative but see that it came out that way. You mentioned that the pictures did not do it justice, that is a common problem for me especially with walnut.

Roger Chandler
09-30-2013, 9:45 PM
Roger, This is a beautiful piece. It is a form that I would like to do. If you would share how much of the pedestal material was removed and how thick is the side of the pedestal. Thank you. Dan

Dan, as you can see, I have not even signed the bottom yet or put a finish on the bottom.........but to answer your question, I left a little wood in the pedestal for ballast purposes.........the lady who is getting this will likely use it as a center piece, and I do not know if it is fruit or flowers or whatever she will put in it, so I wanted to make sure it is stable.

As you can see, I turned away about 1/2" of material as a recess and then flattened the area out and put rings on it to add visual interest.......between two of those rings, there will be my name and the species of wood and date..........hope this helps!

Lori Kleinberg
09-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Roger, I really like this form and the walnut is beautiful.

Roger Chandler
09-30-2013, 10:53 PM
Roger, I really like this form and the walnut is beautiful.

Thanks Lori.......glad you like it..........thanks for your post! :)

Michelle Rich
10-01-2013, 6:11 AM
Have to admit, pedestal bowls are not my cup of tea, BUT you did a great job finishing that wood. Walnut sometimes can be a bugger, so good job sanding.

Fred Belknap
10-01-2013, 7:28 AM
Roger that is a nice bowl and the finish is great. I'm sure the lady will be proud of it. I do a lot of walnut and it is difficult to get a good finish. Our local walnut is soft and porous but very dark. I have tried several ways to fill the pores and have found that putting on a couple coats of shellac and sanding back with 220 to 320 grit gives a good base for WOP or lacquer.

Roger Chandler
10-01-2013, 7:40 AM
Roger that is a nice bowl and the finish is great. I'm sure the lady will be proud of it. I do a lot of walnut and it is difficult to get a good finish. Our local walnut is soft and porous but very dark. I have tried several ways to fill the pores and have found that putting on a couple coats of shellac and sanding back with 220 to 320 grit gives a good base for WOP or lacquer.

They say great minds think alike :rolleyes: That is pretty much what I did Fred. I tried buffing, but it only marginally improved.......decided to sand back and apply the last two coats.........it looks better this morning than when I took the pics.

Pat Scott
10-01-2013, 8:49 AM
I like pedestal bowls and the lady should be ecstatic to get this. So the base is solid? Did you rough it out this way? And if so what did you do to prevent cracking?

David C. Roseman
10-01-2013, 9:41 AM
Roger, this is exquisite.

David

Roger Chandler
10-01-2013, 11:00 AM
I like pedestal bowls and the lady should be ecstatic to get this. So the base is solid? Did you rough it out this way? And if so what did you do to prevent cracking?

Well Pat........I began with putting the most solid piece of the wood for a tenon after closely inspecting the wood.........I sealed the roughout completely with anchorseal and then bagged it in a multi-layered paper bag, and rounded any sharp edges...........the slow drying in the inside the bag environment meant a slow drying process, which along with the anchorseal made for as good a process as I could come up with.

I did rough it out as you see in the pics.......only thing I added to the form was the flared rim.......of course, I took off extra wood to make it all round and true as well..........I would say this ovaled about 1/2" total over the drying period, but I had made the roughout about 1.25" thick on the roughout, so I had plenty of wood to work with to bring it back to round. The thing had a tenon, but when I turned that off is when I made the recess on the bottom.

Dan Kralemann
10-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Roger, Thank you for showing a bottom picture. I appreciate your time and effort. Dan

Roger Chandler
10-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Roger, Thank you for showing a bottom picture. I appreciate your time and effort. Dan

You are most welcome Dan! I have now burned my name, date and wood species on the bottom and put shellac over that to seal the bottom. It looks better that way! :D

Roger Chandler
10-03-2013, 2:54 PM
Roger, this is exquisite.

David

Your comment is most appreciated, David.......sorry I am so late acknowledging it! :o

Roger Chandler
10-06-2013, 9:15 PM
Just to bring this thread to a conclusion.........I took this to our club meeting yesterday, and it was very well received. I gave it to Carolyn today at church..........she was really excited to get it finally and said she really liked the way it turned out and as of our conversation this evening, has it displayed on her dining table........she is making a centerpiece out of it.

Several of the ladies were eyeing it and I would not be surprised in getting more requests.

Gus Dundon
10-08-2013, 5:03 PM
Nicely turned wood! Your craftsmanship is simply amazing.

Roger Chandler
10-08-2013, 7:09 PM
Nicely turned wood! Your craftsmanship is simply amazing.

Very kind of you, Gus..............thank you!

Trevor Howard
10-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Well Pat........I began with putting the most solid piece of the wood for a tenon after closely inspecting the wood.........I sealed the roughout completely with anchorseal and then bagged it in a multi-layered paper bag, and rounded any sharp edges...........the slow drying in the inside the bag environment meant a slow drying process, which along with the anchorseal made for as good a process as I could come up with.

I did rough it out as you see in the pics.......only thing I added to the form was the flared rim.......of course, I took off extra wood to make it all round and true as well..........I would say this ovaled about 1/2" total over the drying period, but I had made the roughout about 1.25" thick on the roughout, so I had plenty of wood to work with to bring it back to round. The thing had a tenon, but when I turned that off is when I made the recess on the bottom.

Seeing as you had so much wood in the pedestal to dry, how long was this in the paper bag for Roger?

Bill White
10-09-2013, 1:54 PM
I'd be darned proud to have been able to put my name on a bowl that well done.
Bill

Roger Chandler
10-09-2013, 2:25 PM
Seeing as you had so much wood in the pedestal to dry, how long was this in the paper bag for Roger?

Trevor.............I roughed out this bowl the first week of June/2013...............it stayed in the paper bag and of course sealed with anchorseal [because it was too big to put in my bucket of DNA] until September 30th. I weighed it every week, and when it stopped losing weight after two weeks I put it back on the lathe to finish turn it................hope this helps!

Roger Chandler
10-09-2013, 2:26 PM
I'd be darned proud to have been able to put my name on a bowl that well done.
Bill

Thank you very much Bill..........your comment is most appreciated!

Trevor Howard
10-09-2013, 3:47 PM
Thanks for the info, Roger

Rick Markham
10-13-2013, 2:33 AM
This is a wonderful form Roger, I'm curious is the foot hollowed or embellished? It's a spectacular piece, and wonderfully finished. I'm sure Carolyn will be pleased beyond expectations. I think you really nailed the concave curvature of the foot to the graceful curve in the main form. The WOP really shows off the walnut well. Well executed piece Roger!

Roger Chandler
10-13-2013, 1:57 PM
This is a wonderful form Roger, I'm curious is the foot hollowed or embellished? It's a spectacular piece, and wonderfully finished. I'm sure Carolyn will be pleased beyond expectations. I think you really nailed the concave curvature of the foot to the graceful curve in the main form. The WOP really shows off the walnut well. Well executed piece Roger!

What a nice comment for you to make Rick............I appreciate you taking the time to comment on it like you did.........especially since it was a fairly cold thread! ;)

Your observations on the curve and and finish are what I had hoped to be seen most of all on this form.....I worked much to try & refine that curve to get it just right. The foot has a recess of 1/2" + and the rings were turned in to add visual interest to the bottom. I wanted some ballast, so I did not hollow it all the way.......that recess should be enough to keep it from cracking over time and the wood had gone through the drying process and was pretty stable.

JimT Thompson
10-13-2013, 11:27 PM
Wow, particularly nice bowl. Shows off the best of walnut too. Love walnut.

Roger Chandler
10-14-2013, 5:00 PM
Wow, particularly nice bowl. Shows off the best of walnut too. Love walnut.

Thanks Jim.........appreciate your comment!