PDA

View Full Version : Delta Super 900 vs Dewalt MBF?

Harlon Gilbert
09-30-2013, 3:01 PM
I've got a line on two radial arm saws from my local Craigslist. Both are original owner saws that are being sold by kids or grand kids. I'm currently setting up shop in my basement and am looking for a ras to do crosscuts and dados for shelving. I've read a lot of good things about both of these saws. I'd appreciate any opinions which would help me make the decision. Currently, I'm leaning slightly toward the dewalt. The delta is in a basement shop and I had to sweeten the offer to get them to pull it out. I have a bad back carrying a saw up stairs is a deal breaker. The dewalt is being sold for 60 and the delta for 50, I offered 100 for the delta if it's out in one piece and running. One piece of information I'm looking for is the crosscut length for each saw. I haven't seen either saw yet and haven't been able to find these figures online. Thanks for the help.

Roy Turbett
09-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Do a search at OWWM.org and there are a number of threads on both of the saws. I rebuilt a couple of MBF's but sold them when a GWI became available. The MBF has a 3/4 hp motor as opposed to a 1 1/2 hp motor on the GWIand takes a smaller blade. When properly tuned, both of the DeWalt saws are very accurate and are not prone to come out of adjustment because of the way they are designed. The main advantage of the Delta Super 900 is that it has a turret arm that makes it easier to cut both left and right miters because the blade is always centered in the table. If I remember right, it has a smaller motor like the MBF and also uses a smaller blade. The only downside is that there are more moveable parts which may make it harder to tune the saw and keep it tuned.

Myk Rian
10-01-2013, 7:46 AM
I have an MBF, and had a 900 in the shop. I couldn't see how the Delta cuts were all in the center of the table. Sold the Delta because I prefer the Dewalt.
The Super 900 has 1hp.

Harlon Gilbert
10-01-2013, 9:04 AM
Thanks for the input, having had both saws do you recall which had the longer crosscut length?

Harlon Gilbert
10-01-2013, 9:10 AM
Thanks, found some pretty good threads on OWWM, funny, this is my first venture into online forums, I'm hardly middle aged but apparently I'm a technological dinosaur. I'd love to go bigger, but the budget won't allow it and I'm also limited to 110 at this time.

Myk Rian
10-01-2013, 9:52 AM
Thanks for the input, having had both saws do you recall which had the longer crosscut length?
Depending on how you set the fence on the Delta, they're about the same. 13".
I made the Mr. Sawdust table for my DeWalt. Did a write-up on OWWM for it.
Since OWWM is down so often, I'll post a link when I can get to it. Here's a pic of the saw.

Dave Cav
10-01-2013, 2:22 PM
It's kind of a Ford/Chevy thing. Either one will work very well. I have a 12" Delta, kind of the younger, but bigger brother to the Super 900, and I have rebuild and used four or five DeWalt MBC/F or 925s. I actualy prefer the DeWalts, but I kept my Delta for the added capacity of the 12" blade and because I mostly use it for breaking down longer stock. I rarely use it for joinery. I had an MBC set up for a while for fine crosscuts and miters, but finally sold it because I was out of room and I normally do that sort of work on my 10" table saw anyway. However, if I was only going to have one saw it would probably be a DeWalt. I have found the DeWalts are a little easier to keep square. Not much, but a little.

Harlon Gilbert
10-02-2013, 7:43 PM
Thanks for the input, I think I've decided to wait until a larger capacity saw comes along. I'm building a lot of units that are 15 to 18 inches deep. Though the mbf and super900 are classic they won't fit the bill. Any recommendations for a single phase ras that will handle at least 18 inches.