PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
09-30-2013, 3:18 AM
30 Sep 2013

Good Morning Everyone,
The weather has been really good here and we even got a bit of rain that we've been really needing. Been working my oncall duty for the day job and spending time with the family when I'm not working.

The LOML and I got more work done on the inside of the house, more caulking, painting, and touch up work on our remodeling work that we started early summer. We still have a bit more of the "little stuff" to get done, but we will get there.

Making plans on what all I need to start working on in the shop, things like a blanket chest for the LOML Jr, wooden forks, spoons, spatula's, salad tongs, and some of my well liked end-grain cutting boards. Even the LOML is getting excited about me getting back in the shop again. I know I'm looking forward to it. :)

Well, that's it for me and I'm going back to bed and hope I don't get paged again until after I turn the oncall duty over to the next person for the coming week. What did YOU do this past weekend? Post some pics and let's see what you've been up to. Hopefully I will do the same next week.

Best of weeks to you all.

Anthony Whitesell
09-30-2013, 5:28 AM
The accomplishments for the weekend.

-My daughter went to gymnastics, was brought home by a family friend for the first time, and in between managed to fall and knock out both front teeth (baby teeth) at the same time

-My daughter's birthday party

-Replaced the rear brakes and muffler on the LOML's car

-Nephew's birthday party

-Signed sales agreement on a camper trailer

-Found a sawmill for sale, that if the price can be negotiated to be reasonable will also follow me home shortly.

Nah, I didn't do anything this weekend. hahaha.

Michael Dunn
09-30-2013, 7:34 AM
Friday - short work day at the shop, went to a wedding.

Saturday - late start, spent the night at the hotel for the wedding, too tired to have any fun... Ran some new ceiling outlets at the shop and cleaned up a bit. Picked up the kids from Grandma's house.

Sunday - Went to church, went out to lunch with the wife and kids, brought back lunch for my in-laws. Watched mountain men, The Alaskan Frontier, went to the park with the kids. Came home and went to sleep. Ready to go to the shop now.

I love my job!

Matt Meiser
09-30-2013, 7:58 AM
Friday night was Homecoming for my high school. That was the first game I've been to since the year after I graduated when we went to see them win the state championship. Daughter's school had a "tailgating" event before at one of the campuses for families to get together which was nice and I an into a couple people I graduated with that I haven't seen in years and heard about what a few I haven't seen in even longer are up to.

Saturday, got up first thing in the morning to take all the fluorescent tubes from my shop to the county hazardous waste collection day. I changed the 9-1/2 year old tubes out this past week and it was rather surprising how much it brightened things up. LOML and my mom had a show to go to in Detroit so LOMLjr went to my MIL and I got left home alone until evening. I got the first step in the finishing process (Seal-A-Cell) applied to the cabinetry project for my parents. Its a bigger project than I realized--going to take two batches of spraying in my finishing room. I need to sort out what's going in which batch. I also assembled a new tool cart I bought from Harbor Freight which is one of those Harbor Freight gems. Trying to get all my basic hand tools into one, portable box that I can take up to the garage when working on the cars or roll to the back when I work on the tractor, mower, etc. In the evening we went to my parents for a reschedule of our usual Sunday dinner, which offers the advantage that the GOOD pizza place is open so my dad got a week off cooking.

Sunday we went to church, then I got left home alone again while LOML and LOMLjr went to the latter's football game. The weather was bad and they had to get there early so I was told I could skip. Touched up the Seal-A-Cell where it was needed on end grain or other areas that really soaked it up, loaded up the new tool cart, and worked on some changes to one of the closet organizers in the house which has been on my todo list.

John Towns
09-30-2013, 8:42 AM
I have been working on a complete remodeling of our master bathroom. LOML has been very, very, very patient as it has taken me quite a bit of time We have another complete bathroom just outside our bedroom).

But...
the tub is complete, the vanity carcase is complete, the tiling is complete, the garnite is installed, the plumbing is complete, the shower is ready for the galss enclosure which has been ordered.

Finally was able to get to the good part!

This weekend I used the thickness planer to perpare the cherry frame, drawer fronts and doors to proper thickness. I completed and installed the vanity frame. I sure do love the smell of cherry wood when it is being worked. Next up is the frame and panel doors.

Charles Taylor
09-30-2013, 9:21 AM
Spread some mulch and planted three Yoshino cherry trees after watching the youngest girl's softball game on Saturday. On Sunday afternoon, made the legs and back uprights for a chair to sit at the small desk in our den. I'm more or less following a Stickley example but making it from walnut.

Mark Blatter
09-30-2013, 10:15 AM
After three months of planning and efforts by Wife, our daughter was married on Saturday. Threatened bad weather forced us to move the after ceremony luncheon from our backyard to an inside location. Wasn't all bad because it forced me to spend many hours during the past three weeks on yard chores that I kept putting off. Our yard looks better than it ever has in the past. This was the second of four daughters....so two more to go.

Now I can actually schedule time to work in my shop.271980

Shawn Pixley
09-30-2013, 10:32 AM
I spent a lot of time in the shop. Most of which was flattening a slab that I picked up a while ago. All neander so I am feeling it today. The slab was more difficult than it should have been (for those interested, see post in neander forum). It was hot here so I worked up a good sweat.

I also got the rear legs fabricated. Next stop, final assembly...

Frank Trinkle
09-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Spent a good portion of the weekend assembling the two bandsaws that arrived on my doorstep on Wednesday. Laguna 14X14SUV and Laguna Italian LT20! The 14" wasn't too bad, and I was able to assemble without assistance. Waiting for the mobility kit which Laguna was out of stock on, so it will remain on the shipping pallet until I get the kit, otherwise, it went together pretty easily. (Bypassed the manual's call for at least two people to mount the 3HP Leeson Motor and the cast iron table. Wrestled it all myself!)

The LT20 is another story. Had two neighbors help me get it into the garage because it was too tall to fit under the garage doors. 635 pounds of three-person wrestling!! But, got it done without an accident or damage. Then the neighbors took off for the weekend before I had a chance to beg for additional help. The 6HP Baldor motor is HEAVY!!! Nonetheless, I had a side table waiting for refurbishing that just happened to be the exact height to match the inlet for the motor. So, with some moving blankets and a lot of care, I was able to maneuver the motor into position and install it myself. Not recommended, and wouldn't attempt again in the future. Mobility kit works well and I was able to install it during the move into the garage. All that remains is to mount the table which weighs well over 100lbs on the saw, and this one clearly can't be done alone, so I'm waiting on my neighbors to get back from the weekend and coerce them into one last muscle move...of course lubricated by some good beer!

The bad thing is that I won't be able to test the saws until late in the week because I have an Electrical Contractor coming in to install a sub-panel and 220V outlets in the workshop. None existed previously. Nonetheless, the saws look great in the shop, and are the first major additions to my upgrade intentions. Next is a Delta 18-900L 18" Drill Press arriving on Wednesday, then back overseas for six weeks. When I return just after Thanksgiving, I have a Hammer A3 41 coming in, as well as a 3.5 HP cyclone DC and Air Filtration unit. Following that will be a Laguna 24-36 REVO lathe, and 6" Belt Sander. Spring will bring a Jet 22-44 Oscillating Drum Sander, Split-unit AC/Heat/Dehumidifier, and a bunch more Festool products!

All in all, productive weekend:D

John Sanford
09-30-2013, 1:56 PM
On Saturday, I took my new (to me) Yamaha WR250R out for a little jaunt, over to the nearby m/c shop to have a turn signal repaired and safety inspection done. No joy, the shop, which seems to focus more on chainsaws & generators and such, was closed on a SATURDAY. WTH?? So, I toodled on my way to a locksmith to get extra keys made, then up and over the mountain to another shop, one that was actually open. Dropped the bike off for the work, then went with my son to lunch and the bookstore. Unfortunately, I spent WAY too much time Saturday night (actually, almost all the wee hours of Sunday morning) reading, so Sunday got off to a late start.

On Sunday, after seeing Despicable Me 2 (great movie!) I actually got some time in the shop, albeit no woodworking. My son and I got my ST up on the centerstand on the lift table, then I proceeded to pull the bottom half of the fairing, and remove the rear wheel. I cleared on the platform my tire changing rig resides on (technically, this part could be considered wood working, because I had to work to move some wood around) and pulled the rig away from the wall. Having run out of daylight, it was time for some more relaxation.

I hope to get the old tire off, the new one on and balanced tomorrow, then back on the bike with it. After that, pull some more of the fairing, do some serious cleaning of the hidden bits, and give STeed an oil change before buttoning it back up and taking a spin.