PDA

View Full Version : Major Boo Boo

Tom Gattiker
05-15-2003, 8:17 AM
Ever done this?: Was vacuuming construction detrius & dust on my back deck after taking out the deck door. Had the vac sitting in the house near an outlet. Whille vacuuming I thought to myself, "man there is a lot of dust flying around," but kept working dilligently. Finished vacuuming. Got up. Looked in the house. Big Fog. Apparently the cannister filter had fallen out of place inside the vac so the vac was basically taking dust from the deck and spraying it into the air in the house. Not good.

Tom

Bill Grumbine
05-15-2003, 8:33 AM
Not quite, but close Tom. A few years ago, I had two teenage boys visiting my shop. One was a student, and the other was a friend of his who was visiting. The two of them were learning some woodworking, and helping me clean up the shop. There were wood shavings and dust all over the floor (as is usual in my shop, especially with the lathe).

The boys had just emptied the shop vac out and reassembled it. Unfortunately, no one was watching, and we had a major dust storm event! The one young man had installed the hose on the "blow" end instead of the "suck" end, and aimed the nozzle right down close to a large pile of dust, and then hit the on switch. With a nice clean filter, that vac could really move the air!:eek: We all just about died from coughing (and then laughing at the unfortunate soul, who took a long time to live his mistake down among the rest of us who knew him well). Fortunately, the dust storm was contained to the shop for the most part, and SWMBO was not present.

I will not even go into the time I convinced SWMBO that if she followed me closely with the shop vac hose, I could rout MDF in the dining room with little or no dust.:D

Bill

Jim Becker
05-15-2003, 9:16 AM
Originally posted by Bill Grumbine
I will not even go into the time I convinced SWMBO that if she followed me closely with the shop vac hose, I could rout MDF in the dining room with little or no dust.

Oh, my...the visualization of THAT is scary! :D (Experience paints excruciatingly clear pictures...)

Ken Wright
05-15-2003, 1:21 PM
LOML would have asked no questions nor accepted any excuses before she administered the execution by rusty hack saw blade!!!!

Rob Russell
05-15-2003, 2:22 PM
Years ago and not to long after moving into our house, I decided to clan out the wood stove with the shop vac. Did you know that the ash is soooooo fine that it blows right through a shop vac filter?

TRUST ME - it does.:o

Rob

Tom Sweeney
05-15-2003, 2:32 PM
A few years back I had bought a cheap shop vac at an auction. The first time I used it was cleaning up after sanding drywall mud from a repair in the kitchen.

I flipped the switch turned around, so my back was to the vac & rest of the room & bent down to suck all the extremely fine drywall dust into the hose - it was a pretty big pile. Satisfied that I had gotten enough of it I stood up straight & was completely enveloped by a thick white cloud :rolleyes: apparantly the filter was not the correct one for the vac - unfortunately I didn't notice how loose fitting it was till it was way too late.

As Ricky used to say to Lucy - I had some splanin to do :D

Phil Phelps
05-15-2003, 5:35 PM
....Put the Grumbine end on. Need I say more? :p