PDA

View Full Version : Why I love woodworking

greg Forster
09-29-2013, 5:38 PM
271938 I neither hunt nor fish; play the greens or attend the opera ( what ARE they singing about?) But still, I enjoy a hobby with redeeming social values and a practical purpose.

George Bokros
09-29-2013, 6:00 PM
Nice work. The finish is very appropriate for that style furniture.

Jim Matthews
09-29-2013, 6:13 PM
I've always felt that this was a butch hobby for those of that don't hunt,
and hate to waste a perfectly good walk on golf.

It's probably cheaper than either of those alternatives.

My wife likes it, in that she knows my tools aren't portable - and that makes me easy to find.

Frederick Skelly
09-29-2013, 6:49 PM
Very nice Greg!

I don't golf or go to the opera either. (I think they're singing about their shoes being too tight.)

Fred

David Turner
09-29-2013, 7:24 PM
That's a nice looking beer ! Just the right amount of head.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

greg Forster
09-29-2013, 8:21 PM
That's a nice looking beer ! Just the right amount of head.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.
Thanks, it took 4 tries to get it just right

Roy Lindberry
09-30-2013, 12:56 AM
And there's this: Drop a couple hundred bucks on some great seats at the opera and it's all but a memory in a couple of hours. Drop the same on some nice lumber, and you have something that is practical and beautiful and can be seen and used for generations.

Will Boulware
09-30-2013, 10:33 AM
I like the furniture, I like your thoughts, and I like the house in the background! Well done, sir.

Matthew N. Masail
09-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Thats the kind of picture that make you go "ohh I wish t I was there... " must be a great feeling codous!

Chris Hachet
09-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Very nicely done, sir!

jim goddard
09-30-2013, 1:03 PM
Fishing is like watching the grass grow, on par tennis or golf. Opera is screaming to music...a ruin of both good music and good hearing. Woodworking and hunting are mandatory activities of a complete life.

Bruce Page
09-30-2013, 1:28 PM
Thanks, it took 4 tries to get it just right

I trust the previous 3 weren’t wasted! :)

Winton Applegate
10-01-2013, 12:15 AM
It is very much like the evening news :
Death
Dying
Murder
Insanity
(a little love but it rarely turns out well)

Full of what I call "the Hemingway effect".
I love Hemingway books by the way and have read them all; some of them many times. The old boy sure can pick you up and slam you on your back though . . . usually just when you thought you were having such a good time fishing and enjoying the food and the weather.

But anyway why go to the Opera ? The sets ! ! ! ! I love the sets.
Lighting, mood; Yah Cool stuff !

Opera here was pretty affordable back in the day. I haven't been for a long time.
spend all my money on tools and wood.

Here is an interesting one : This song / music can make big tears roll down your cheeks if you just sit down, and focus on it and nothing else.
Without knowing what the words mean. Try it. Gets me every time (though I later learned what the words mean) (death and dying :(:) ).

Buy the third song and listen to it all the way through. I bet you will find yourself coming back to it and listening to it over the years. You can't beat Renne' Fleming. Talented and likable person.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=la+wally+renee+fleming&rh=n%3A163856011%2Ck%3Ala+wally+renee+fleming&ajr=0

PS: Way to go on your post and work !
and woodworking is right at the top of my list as well.

PPS: you are a "piker" if you don't buy the song and listen to it. I don't know what that actually means but my Mom used to say that to get me to try something new.

Gary Herrmann
10-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Beer is always redeeming.

Stu Gillard
10-01-2013, 6:39 AM
I'm mainly into restoration.

I love turning things made by men past, that are slowly crumbling to the ravages of time, from firewood, to cherished items.
The only power tool I use is a bandsaw. Only hand tools, hide glue, shellac and wax.
Fueled on beer :D

I love turning things like this .....

Into this.

And this .....

Into this.

And this ...

Into this.

My current project is this poor old thing.

I love my time in the workshop. A mix of Miles Davis and Pink Floyd on the MP3 player, and a cold beer.
Shame I have a 'real' job.

Jim Matthews
10-01-2013, 6:46 AM
I love my time in the workshop. A mix of Miles Davis and Pink Floyd on the MP3 player,

As it turns out, the Dark side of the Moon is Kind of Blue?

Stu Gillard
10-01-2013, 7:18 AM
As it turns out, the Dark side of the Moon is Kind of Blue?

I've heard that ...
It also turns out that drinking the Bitches Brew makes me Obscured by Clouds :cool:

Georg Zudoff
10-01-2013, 7:59 AM
I like woodworking because it's my only one hobby after I give up drinking:)