PDA

View Full Version : Cutting 3/16 to 1/4" polycarbonate?

Phil Thien
09-29-2013, 3:54 PM
Are any of the laser engravers you guys are using able to cut 3/16" to 1/4" polycarbonate all the way through? If so, is it a slow or fast process?

David Rust
09-29-2013, 4:30 PM
I cut 1/8th acrylic (not polycarbonate) with success, medium speed with a 60Watt machine. You need good ventilation, the acrylic fumes are bad stuff. Polycarbonate, aka Lexan, emits corrosive fumes when cut and can damage your machine over time (not to mention your health).

There are many others here more educated than I on this, I am sure will weigh in.

Joe Pelonio
09-29-2013, 5:25 PM
I have done it, but reluctantly and at an added price to the customer on my 45 watt, settings the same as 1/4" acrylic, but two passes, and transfer tape misted with water on both sides. Still made a nasty and scary yellow smoke and residue. Try to avoid if you can. The 1/16 or thinner is much less of a problem.

Dave Sheldrake
09-29-2013, 8:39 PM
You will need between 60 and 70 PSI of air assist Phil, Polycarb, Makralon, PETG, Veralite etc cuts with a yellowish chemical degradation byproduct. Low power engraving is ok but high power starts the chemical breakdown of the material causing the yellow staining.

The fumes aren't toxic per-se but are rather nasty and there is a lot of it.

[Synrad Data] (http://www.synrad.com/synradinside/pdfs/LaserProcessingGuide_Plastics.pdf)

cheers

Dave

Mike Null
09-30-2013, 8:24 AM
Phil

I've tried cutting it with my 45 watt machine and it is a messy result. I won't do anymore as it chars, it does engrave ok with multiple passes.

Phil Thien
09-30-2013, 9:42 AM
Thanks guys. The shops with BIG laser cutters (the big industrial production stuff that will cut thick steel) don't like cutting plastics because of the smell. None of these outfits have any sort of filtering, and they can't just exhaust it outside.

I guess I will use my router.

Joseph Belangia
10-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Cutting polycarbonate or acrylic or anything like that is usually a slow ride. You can back the power off just a smidge but run it ultra slow. Like...5-10 speed. I was running really high pulse frequency in the past, but lately...after reading a thread about it here somewhere, I tried lowering the frequency to half that, and am still getting a great cut...flame polish-like and just fine for most applications..

I don't bother with cutting Makralon anymore...mucho carbon in it and it is a black smoky mess to cut. Just...awful.

Acrylic is the . You can get a great mirror finish with a slow, hot walk around it.

Richard Coers
10-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Does the chemical degrade change the properties of the material? Polycarbonate is used because it does not shatter, and/or it can be cold bent. Will it become brittle with the laser cutting?

Dave Sheldrake
10-02-2013, 11:08 AM
You will induce quite a bit of stress in the edge that may raise problems depending on the applications. Gluing can be an issue with heat induced stresses.

cheers
Dave