PDA

View Full Version : Finally, I have a dust collector to gloat about =).

Chris Pasko
05-31-2005, 10:04 PM
Here she is:

http://www.precision-aquatics.com/gallery/albums/Misc/IMG_7047.sized.jpg

Just picked it up today! Its the first addition to my new felder family! Cant wait to finish my shop up and get this beast running!

Nick Mitchell
05-31-2005, 10:29 PM
Big congratulations Chris!

I've still got a couple more months to wait for mine aaaargh

When do you get your blue?

I'm glad the RL doesn't have those cheesy 'racing stripes' on it anymore. I'm trying to get Erik to change the decal to F4....he must think I'm crazy :o

:D

Chris Pasko
05-31-2005, 10:54 PM
Big congratulations Chris!

I've still got a couple more months to wait for mine aaaargh

When do you get your blue?

I'm glad the RL doesn't have those cheesy 'racing stripes' on it anymore. I'm trying to get Erik to change the decal to F4....he must think I'm crazy :o

:D

Thanks Nick! Seems like a really well built machine. I cant wait to put it through its paces!

Its funny, great minds must think a like! I was on him today for the F4 stickers =). I wanted to know why he didnt apply them, and told him he is now responsible to come down to MD to apply them himself haha.

Alan Tolchinsky
05-31-2005, 11:26 PM
Chris could you explain exactly what that is for those of us who have no idea? I'm not sure if you're serious in your post but if it has the name Felder on it, it must be something good. :)

Chris Pasko
06-01-2005, 12:20 AM
Oh sorry, it is kind of odd looking =). Its my new dust collector, the rl160 from Felder. Its supposed to be a pretty incredible machine from all that I hear! The bin on the bottom when full, slides out and lets you have easy access to reusable bags (or they can just be bagged up and thrown out). When done, slide it back under, lift the handle it raises the chip collector off the floor and ready for action. A very well though out system I think. Its also very effective at cleaning the air particles. There is a fantastic write up on it Mr.Renzetti did, I will have to dig it up and link it to the post.

Dan Forman
06-01-2005, 5:48 AM
A most interesting looking device. We will want to hear how it works.

Dan

John Renzetti
06-01-2005, 5:54 AM
Hi Chris, Looks real nice. Wait until you get that thing set up and running, you find out quickly by it gets called the "Ubersucker."
I think it should have the Format colors also.
BTW if you need some tips on setting it up to a remote start let me know.
take care,
John

Jeff Sudmeier
06-01-2005, 8:30 AM
Wow, that is an interesting set up for a dust collector. If you find the link to the review, I would love to read it.

Chris Pasko
06-01-2005, 9:44 AM
Wow, that is an interesting set up for a dust collector. If you find the link to the review, I would love to read it.

Hey Jeff, I found Mr. Renzetti's write up, here it is:

Felder RL 160 and RL 125 Write Up (http://docs.felder-it.info/rl_report.pdf)

Chris Pasko
06-01-2005, 9:45 AM
Hey Dan, it will be a bit before its hooked up, but I will keep everyone filled in.

Hey John, thanks for the offer. When I hook it up I will be looking into my options. I as considering one of them systems with the autogates and all that jazz =). That contorls your DC I believe.

Nick Mitchell
06-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Chris, did you get the sound baffle? Is it designed differntly now with the flat top?

Chris Pasko
06-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Chris, did you get the sound baffle? Is it designed differntly now with the flat top?

Yeah, I will install it and take pics, or take pics before it goes on if you want. I have never seen the old, so I am unsure if there is a change or not.

Nick Mitchell
06-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Pics are always good Chris. Before and after would be great!

Good luck :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
06-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Hey Jeff, I found Mr. Renzetti's write up, here it is:

Felder RL 160 and RL 125 Write Up (http://docs.felder-it.info/rl_report.pdf)
Wow, that is going to one heck of a machine for you! I just read the review and now I am interested. However, that thing costs more than the rest of my shop combined! Well almost...

Once again congrats, it looks to be a wonderful dust extractor.

Chris Pasko
06-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Pics are always good Chris. Before and after would be great!

Good luck :cool:

Dag, I just got in from installing it =), I should have thought of it first. Looking at it and other pics though I think its the same. I will snap a shot of it installed and post it on up.

Thanks Jeff, Johns review helped me decide on it as well! Very well written.

Rich Konopka
06-01-2005, 1:52 PM
Chris, That is a serious looking sucker :eek: I guess one cannot go overboard when it comes to protecting ones health. The review mentioned the German Health board study that found an "elevate incidence" of nasal cancer in people working in woodworking shops. Common sense points out to the dangers of fine wood particulates. But I never heard anything about Nasal Cancer? Has anyone else?

Is this for a hobbiest shop or a small business? I wish you the best and send you waves of envy ;) on your investment. Please let us know how it works.

Best Regards,

Steven Wilson
06-01-2005, 2:36 PM
Common sense points out to the dangers of fine wood particulates. But I never heard anything about Nasal Cancer? Has anyone else?

Yep, sure have, nasal cancer is just one of the latest health effects from wood dust exposure. Just google sometime and you will find a lot of references to the health effects of fine wood dust. Of course Bill Pentz has some interesting numbers on particulate matter in his shop prior to improving things with decent dust collection. Hobby shops can have very high dust concentrations - much more than commercial shops. Take care an be healthy. I looked at the Felder RL160 ( very nice unit BTW) and would have probably gone that route if I had purchased Felder equipment, instead I settled on a 2hp commercial Oneida (a 5hp Oneida would be more comparable to the RL160) which services my Minimax gear just fine. Anyhow, what I liked about Oneida and Felder is the outside testing performed on their filter material; they are the only two who sell to the hobby/small commercial shop that take the extra step to have their filter media meet a recognized standard.

Chris Pasko
06-01-2005, 2:47 PM
Chris, That is a serious looking sucker :eek: I guess one cannot go overboard when it comes to protecting ones health. The review mentioned the German Health board study that found an "elevate incidence" of nasal cancer in people working in woodworking shops. Common sense points out to the dangers of fine wood particulates. But I never heard anything about Nasal Cancer? Has anyone else?

Is this for a hobbiest shop or a small business? I wish you the best and send you waves of envy ;) on your investment. Please let us know how it works.

Best Regards,

Hey Rich, thanks a lot =). That went a long way to helping me decide on getting the unit, and the design just makes good sense. I like how the blades never come in contact with the dust or wood.

This DC is for my hobbyist shop. I have some more felder goodies on the way, they should arrive in September =). I will keep you guys posted.

I am with Steve on the nasal cancer, I have read a few articles on it myself, but cant remember where.

Chris Padilla
06-01-2005, 8:49 PM
:confused: No cone? Where is the cyclone?? :confused:

;) Nice pick up...but it doesn't match your MM slider!! :eek:

Chris Pasko
06-01-2005, 10:21 PM
:confused: No cone? Where is the cyclone?? :confused:

;) Nice pick up...but it doesn't match your MM slider!! :eek:

Haha, who needs a steenkin cone!

Thanks man, it doesnt match the mini max, but it will match all the new format tools coming in september =P. The minimax will be in there for only a few more weeks haha.

Corey Hallagan
06-01-2005, 11:34 PM
Congrats Chris on the new equpment, Enjoy!

Corey

Chris Pasko
06-02-2005, 4:34 PM
Thanks Corey! Its tough watching it just sit there =).

Kelly C. Hanna
06-02-2005, 6:39 PM
I've never seen a DC like that...congrats on the score...with that name you know it'll be good!

Jim Becker
06-02-2005, 10:23 PM
We're going to have to rename you "Big Iron", Chris!!! I saw Mr. Russell's identical machine up in CT awhile back. Impressive machine. Big. Very big.

Gerard Pauwels
06-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Congratulations on your Felder. With that name it has to be good, but I am confused by the specs given on the Felder USA page. It lists the static pressure as 1.96 PSI. How does that correlate with the "inches of water" that is generally used?

Gerry

John Renzetti
06-09-2005, 6:17 AM
Hi, The figures in the catalog are confusing since they also use pascals which a lot of us are not familiar with. The numbers in the catalog are also worse case scenarios that came from the German agency that tested the machine.
Recently a Norfab dealer hooked up some ducting blast gates and some Dwyer anemometer and magnahelic gauges to see what the cfm was a different resistances or pressure. One number he got was 2340cfm at 15" of pressure.
I don't know about all the measurements, but I know that this thing can really suck all the chips, dust laden air clear from whatever machines it's attached to. I have a floor sweep with 15" of flex hose at the end of the shop opposite the collecter. That's about 32ft of spiral duct. I haven't figured all the resistance in inches of water but I do know that the floor sweep works well.
take care,
John

Frank Hagan
06-09-2005, 1:23 PM
2.31 feet of water equals 1 PSI, so there are about 28" of water in every PSI.

TK Donovan
06-09-2005, 1:55 PM
I'm just completing construction of my new shop and will be purchasing another dust collector soon. I had an Oneida 3hp in my old shop - it seemed to work well for me.

I noticed the "specs" on the Felder site are somewhat different than a similarly priced Oneida system. The RL 125 states something like 680 cfm, the RL 160 is 1030 cfm, while the Oneida 3hp commercial is something like 1600 cfm. The Oneida is a lot less money than the RL125 and nearly half the price of the RL 160.

Are these ratings comparable?

John R, what size ducting do you run with your RL160? I've got a couple 25 foot runs for small machines and a 10 ft run to a small wide belt sander. How would the Felder stack up to the Oneida in your experience?

John Renzetti
06-09-2005, 3:52 PM
Hi Todd, The 3hp Oneida is a nice system and I like the Oneida company. As I mentioned in the previous post the numbers listed on the Felder website are taken from the certification testing. The standard testing is dirty filters, and abut 16ft of 160mm flex hose with 4 ninety degree bends. I don't have the paper in front of me but if I can recall correctly the numbers on the RL160 with about 25" of resistance was about 960cfm. That's pretty good.
I don't think the RL160 comparison to the Oneida 3hp would be fair since the RL has a 5.5hp motor. It would be more comparable in price and power to the Oneida 5hp system. The big benefit of the RL DC's is that they are relatively compact, powerful, and have a bank of filters that will basically clean the dust laden air. These things aren't cheap for sure. I think the RL160 is about $3300 now. See if you can get a look at one in operation.
take care,
John