PDA

View Full Version : Hand plane help.

Michael Myshrall
09-29-2013, 10:58 AM
I just finished putting the top on my bench, got the vise all set up and decided to make some shavings...

A good time was had until I removed the board and looked at the very smooth edge from the end. I have a noticeable angle in the resulting surface (about 10 degrees off square). I am able to easily duplicate the result with multiple planes (block, scrub and smooth) so I know that I have some sort of body positioning/mechanics issue going on.

I didn't see this in my previous setup as I was pushing the plane in line with the center of my body (on a BD Workmate) but now I am pushing to one side. I tried using a finger under the sole in front of the mouth, but the results were almost the same, but I could have been using bad technique. Does anyone have some tips on how to plane squarely?

David Weaver
09-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Two things to try:
* Move your plane a little to the high side of the board
* put some thumb pressure on the side of the board that is high (thumb in front of the mouth a little instead of on the knob)

Both of those will bias the plane toward the side that is ending up high.

That's assuming that you've got the plane iron adjusted for an even cut left to right.

Roy Lindberry
09-29-2013, 11:24 AM
I just finished putting the top on my bench, got the vise all set up and decided to make some shavings...

A good time was had until I removed the board and looked at the very smooth edge from the end. I have a noticeable angle in the resulting surface (about 10 degrees off square). I am able to easily duplicate the result with multiple planes (block, scrub and smooth) so I know that I have some sort of body positioning/mechanics issue going on.

I didn't see this in my previous setup as I was pushing the plane in line with the center of my body (on a BD Workmate) but now I am pushing to one side. I tried using a finger under the sole in front of the mouth, but the results were almost the same, but I could have been using bad technique. Does anyone have some tips on how to plane squarely?

You might find the advice in this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?207296-Hand-plane-technique-Getting-the-edge-square) helpful.

greg Forster
09-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Standing too close or too far
from the workpiece may cause
this

Jim Koepke
09-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Michael,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't reveal what part of the world you call home. You may live close to another member who would be willing to help with this and other woodworking questions. If you are near Portland, Oregon send me a PM.

Roy offers a good link for advice. One part of my offering could have a bit added:

If the piece is out of square, my plane is held down on the high side and up on the low side. Then a few passes are made and the work rechecked. After doing this a few times you will get to recognize how out of square the piece is compared to the thickness of the shavings and be able to hold the plane at the right angle so you will know when you get a full width shaving the piece is square.

What isn't mentioned is with the plane held to take a fine shaving from the high side a small flat surface is made the length of the work piece. On the second pass, the plane is registered to this narrow flat for another pass. This will make a slightly wider shaving. Continue to register the plane on the new area being produced until achieving a full width shaving. Check for square repeat as needed.

The amount of correction for the first path depends on the thickness of shaving compared to how out of square the previous result.

Eventually you will adjust to your new set up and have better results.

jtk

Michael Myshrall
09-30-2013, 12:54 PM
Hi David,

Thanks for the advice. I tried it yesterday and it helped quite a bit. I did double-check the iron alignment and it was good (I was going to be really embarrassed if that was the cause...).

Michael

Michael Myshrall
09-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks Roy,

I searched but somehow failed to find that particular thread. It was an interesting and informative read.

Michael Myshrall
09-30-2013, 12:59 PM
I will try to watch my stance and see how altering it changes the results.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael Myshrall
09-30-2013, 1:07 PM
Jim,

Currently, I am in Spokane (I updated my profile). I tried your suggestions and looked at the result from each plane pass. It was getting better after following Roy's, David's and your advice. Thanks for putting me on a better footing.

Michael

Jim Koepke
09-30-2013, 1:12 PM
Jim,

Currently, I am in Spokane (I updated my profile). I tried your suggestions and looked at the result from each plane pass. It was getting better after following Roy's, David's and your advice. Thanks for putting me on a better footing.

Michael

You are assuredly most welcome. That is a big part of the reason this forum is here.

Much of the information here has definitely improved my footing.

jtk