PDA

View Full Version : What's The Best Wood Working Magazine?

Julie Moriarty
09-29-2013, 8:30 AM
Just curious what the favorites are in woodworking magazines...

This is what I know of. Their annual price and number of issues are included:

American Woodworker - $20/6

Fine Woodworking - $35/7

Popular Woodworking - $25/7

Wood Magazine - $28/7

Woodworker & Woodturner - $91/13

Woodworkers Journal - $20/6

Woodcraft - $20/6

Good Woodworking - $91/13

I tried to create a poll but a database error prevented it.

David Weaver
09-29-2013, 9:13 AM
None of them. I have taken PWW, FWW and the WC magazine (which was free when I got it). I never got much out of any of them and think the price of them is better spent toward something I need.

I liked PWW the best of them (and may still be getting it, I can't remember), because it seemed like they were trying to offer what people wanted. FWW's correspondence is arrogant and borderline offensive in my opinion, especially their attempts to get you to renew subscriptions.

Keith Outten
09-29-2013, 9:36 AM
This link will provide a huge list of threads concerning favorite magazines.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=1233352

IMO the best investment for woodworking information is SawMill Creek at just 50 cents per month for 24/7 access to information that grows every hour of every day, unlimited classified advertisements that produce results, access to our FreeStuff Drawings with a chance to join the list of 224 winners who have received over $40,000.00 in prizes, etc, etc.

Peter Quinn
09-29-2013, 9:37 AM
None of them. I have taken PWW, FWW and the WC magazine (which was free when I got it). I never got much out of any of them and think the price of them is better spent toward something I need.

I liked PWW the best of them (and may still be getting it, I can't remember), because it seemed like they were trying to offer what people wanted. FWW's correspondence is arrogant and borderline offensive in my opinion, especially their attempts to get you to renew subscriptions.

Agred. I'm taking a break from FWW for a while, I let the subscription lapse, they pummel me with emails trying to get me to come back. I'm not quitting wood working as their emails would suggest, I'm just giving them a break. Some months were great, others I could skip most or all of the content. Lots of recycling, occasionally a whole month of rudiments for newbies, I know they are trying to attract new wood workers, and have an online subsection focused on that. But it's like public school trying to balance class rooms by putting the brightest kids in a room with the slowest....it only services half the audience. No child left behind....but some shackled to those that move slower? Well that's how it got to feel, but unlike public school, I pay for the pleasure, and when better than 40% of what I saw was recycled or basic, the pleasure is all theirs.

Jim Tabor
09-29-2013, 10:04 AM
FWW cost to much. I enjoyed Popular Woodworking a few years ago when they had articles by Kerry Pierce and other Shaker projects. Now their down to what...65-70 pages? American Woodworker has turned into a small crafts magazine. In the last couple of issues most of them have felt the need to have a blanket chest project....again. And one of then had a Morris chair.....again. With that said, I still subscribe to five of them. Maybe a shaker project in the next issue?:rolleyes:

Dave Kirby
09-29-2013, 10:10 AM
I wouldn't subscribe to any of them. If I see an issue that has something of interest or value, I'll pick it up. I have subscribed to many in the past and found that I might get one or two issues that have something useful and the rest I just wasted my money on. I'd rather not get locked in to one magazine and certainly can find better things to spend all the money I'd use to subscribe to them all. Just my two cents.

John Schweikert
09-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Discussed earlier this year: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?204668-Best-Woodworking-Magazine&highlight=wood+working+magazine

Frederick Skelly
09-29-2013, 11:13 AM
Hi Julie.
I buy Wood and FWW. My skills are at a journeyman level for power tools and I'm an utter newbie with hand tools (less than a year of experience there.)

Wood's recycling a lot too. But I like it for project ideas. I'm going to stop buying FWW because the articles just don't give me enough to actually learn from - for me its rather "poof, and now we're done". I avoid TV woodworkers for the same reason. But that may be unique to just me.

I'll go out on a limb here and speculate that the more skilled one is, the less they'll get out of most WW mags. To me, most seem targetted to a beginner-to-journeyman audience. (Not sure why - maybe they buy more of the kinds/brands of tools that advertize in WW mags?) If that's true, a hyper-skilled person couldn't get their money's worth out of most subscriptions.

My $0.02 anyway.
Fred

David Peterson
09-29-2013, 11:16 AM
There's more education at SMC than any magazine or book could ever offer. I had an online subscription with FWW for a few years and realized later on that I never, ever used it. Unlike any publication, the support and advice on offer here can be specific and immediate to whatever help I need on anything related to my woodworking.

Steve Rozmiarek
09-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Julie, FWW still gets my vote, BUT.... Not the new ones. I look through my archives pretty often for some idea that was well addressed in years past. They were really good for quite a while.

I agree with Keith though, paper mags are really loosing their place as the top purveyor of woodworking knowledge to mediums such as Sawmill Creek.

Dick Brown
09-29-2013, 11:31 AM
Interesting opinions. I used to take a number of WW mags, tired of what seemed to be same info in just different clothes and quit them all. Was at a yard sale a week ago and bought 130 issues in 2 boxes of older FWW, Wood, PWW, etc. They looked about the same and with about the same articles as the current ones other than the tools in the ad's were from 20 years ago. Can't believe there is nothing new and they have said all there is to say about woodworking??? I agree with other posts that as we grow in our experience we start thinking for ourselves, become more creative, form our own style, and depend less on others ideas.

Greg Peterson
09-29-2013, 12:22 PM
I don't know which magazine is best as it really depends on your needs/wants.

I've built a couple of projects from Wood magazine and a found few others I would like to build. I like FWW, but like most of the magazines, find the cost higher than what I am willing to pay on a regular basis.

If I come across an issue of any magazine that appeals to me I'll pick it up. Like most I suspect, I often find myself digging through a pile of magazines trying to find a project or review, and this thought seems to be ever more prescient as I thumb through a magazine rack. I keep telling myself I need to throw together a database, but that idea quickly goes out of my head because I then find the issue I am searching for.

Ralph Boumenot
09-29-2013, 2:02 PM
I think you should look at Woodsmith and Shop Notes too. Both of them are good magazines.
What are you looking for in a magazine? Each of them delivers a different flavor in my opinion.

Loren Woirhaye
09-29-2013, 2:33 PM
They fit different market niches. I think FWW is the most interesting because the featured work is often to professional (marketable) standards aesthetically speaking. So if you want to sell work and make something like a living at it, FWW is a good choice. I don't see any problem with reading back issue articles though and you can buy a DVD with like 30 years of them for less than $100. I haven't subscribed in years.

Some of the magazines focus on reviewing the new tools, which advertisers like, and shop-made jigs and tools, which people trying to improve their skills and shop capacities on a hobby budget enjoy.

I don't subscribe to any technique magazines anymore. The content becomes repetitive.

larry senen
09-30-2013, 1:09 AM
fine woodworking has the pics and the production values, but i gave up on it many, many years ago when the topic of discussion was, why are carvers mallets cylindrical ? the consensus was, so when you missed the chisel you wouldn't hurt your hand too much.

Jasen Nielsen
09-30-2013, 1:20 AM
I used to buy them all but they all have gone stale. I always end up buying one of the group when waiting for the wife or waiting for a prescription to get filled. As I start to brows an article and get drawn in. But when you consider wood has been around from the beginning of time everything is a rerun. It is nice to read about what others do and also see there projects. I find the best part is the area with jigs etc and how to. The only magazine I keep any more is Shopnotes as never know when I may need to build I 5 sided assembly table :)

Jim Andrew
09-30-2013, 7:14 AM
It would be nice if there was some way of searching their old content. I've subscribed to different mags for years, and have stacks of them, but seems like I buy a magazine subscription because they have had articles in the past and good projects, but after I subscribe, am disappointed in what they offer.

David Weaver
09-30-2013, 8:36 AM
Agred. I'm taking a break from FWW for a while, I let the subscription lapse, they pummel me with emails trying to get me to come back. I'm not quitting wood working as their emails would suggest, I'm just giving them a break. Some months were great, others I could skip most or all of the content. Lots of recycling, occasionally a whole month of rudiments for newbies, I know they are trying to attract new wood workers, and have an online subsection focused on that. But it's like public school trying to balance class rooms by putting the brightest kids in a room with the slowest....it only services half the audience. No child left behind....but some shackled to those that move slower? Well that's how it got to feel, but unlike public school, I pay for the pleasure, and when better than 40% of what I saw was recycled or basic, the pleasure is all theirs.

It wasn't so much the volume (though I did think it was ridiculous that they'd spend gobs of money sending out flier after flier offering renewal, there must've been 8 of them, and none had any price concession at all), but the content of them was what I thought was offensive. The second or third one said something like "your skills are declining" or "your skills are in danger of declining now that you're not getting FWW".

I thought about it for a second...are you kidding me? My "skills" are declining because I'm not getting a magazine full of teaser articles that are too short in content to apply, or yet another test of 14 inch bandsaws or random orbit sanders?

I agree with Keith, the forums are the new method to learn for the novices, and the non-novices. If I have a question about how to finish a piece, what design elements are short and need work, etc, it isn't hard to take a picture and bounce it off of everyone here. Try that with a magazine. There is also a lot less of "look at my new kit of stuff that makes sawing dovetails easy", too, or any of the other trinket and gadget marketing.

John Piwaron
09-30-2013, 10:55 AM
I subscribe to FWW & PWW at this time. FWW has very good issues from time to time and occasionally some not so good issues. I think the projects they build in them are good, though as my own skill increased they're not as awe inspiring. The section I like best is the one with pix of readers work. Much like FWWs sister publication "Home Furniture" from years ago. Overall, a fair magazine.

What I think is lacking is the depth of a tool test. And a lack of testing the machines many advanced people want - Felder and Hammer equipment. Festool. I really don't need to hear about a Delta 14" bandsaw (or equal) again. Or a run of the mill ROS article. Why do I not see Festool's entries in router or sander tests? It took buying them to discover that while pricey, the Festool machines simply do everything better. Especially in this day of dust collection.

That's where they *all* are lacking. They don't seem to be keeping up with technology.

When I started, a magazine like FWW showed things that I could only dream of making. I bought it anyway. It provided goals to reach. I've reached some, but most definitely not all of them. FWW, PWW & company could be so much better than they are if they'd give it just a little more effort and worry less about whether or not the rank beginner can understand. There will always be places for a beginner to learn (Woodsmith, etc.). But beginners learn. And then they want something to point the way to better.

Websites like SMC are one of the best places for info on new or more advanced projects and methods. I guess in that way, the internet could supplant printed mags.

Steve Peterson
09-30-2013, 1:27 PM
They fit different market niches. I think FWW is the most interesting because the featured work is often to professional (marketable) standards aesthetically speaking. So if you want to sell work and make something like a living at it, FWW is a good choice. I don't see any problem with reading back issue articles though and you can buy a DVD with like 30 years of them for less than $100. I haven't subscribed in years.

I agree completely about getting the FWW DVD. I let all my print subscriptions expire. I purchased 1 or 2 other DVDs, but find FWW to be the easiest to navigate.

Steve

johnny means
09-30-2013, 4:30 PM
I stopped looking at WW magazines about 2 years into my years as a woodworker. I found that they were very repetitive and a fairly expensive way to get very little fresh information. Also, whose to say that the information you need or want is contained in any of YOUR issues. Yet, even after being a professional WWer for about 15 years, I still find the internet to be an excellent source of fresh, relevant information. Any info you need is literally at your fingertips. Now I do think the online subscriptions which feature search-able archives could be a useful tool, though I'm sure all the same info could be found elsewhere for free.

I would love to support an innovative traditional publication, but I refuse to support what I see as a stale, formulaic model.

Anyway, Fine Woodworking IMO is the most inspiring of the bunch. ShopNotes is kinda a cool idea to and probably the most useful of the bunch.

Rich Harkrader
09-30-2013, 7:05 PM
You left out Shop Notes, which is easily the most useful woodworking magazine, IMO. Every issue features at least 2-3 things I think would be useful or want to build.

Rich;)

Bruce Wrenn
10-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Down to three, Wood, Woodsmith, and ShopNotes. Three years ago, dropped Popular Woodworking, FWW last year, and American Woodworker this year. Wood can be had for as little as $4.00 a year. Have every issue of both Woodsmith and ShopNotes. Both come up for renewal this year. I generally look at last three issues and decide as to renew or not. Wood has a special place in my heart, as I won "Top Tip" a couple years back, but I have had tips published in all of them over the years.

Bill Whig
10-03-2013, 6:08 PM
Like others, I have "settled" down to FWW, Wood, and Shop Notes. Cheers, Bill Whig, from central IN.

Dennis Kelly
10-03-2013, 10:10 PM
I agree, sifting through old magazines can be cumbersome. I've found an online membership to fww to be very helpful. All articles and videos are easily accessible on my iPad.

Keith Hankins
10-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Best one depends on what you want and what your skill level is. If you are a beginner, then almost any will do. I have taken most on that list at some point or another. I was a religious FWW user and loved the forum. I don't know what happened but that mag has gone down and they destroyed the forum. Wood magazine is a decent one for more of the beginner/crafter (IMO). I learned a lot in the beginning. I dropped that one a long time ago. I've enjoyed woodsmith and shop notes. Made quite a few projects and had some inspiration from them. My fav is PWW. I've seen that mag really become a top notch resource.

Geoff Barry
10-04-2013, 12:08 AM
As noted above, I suspect the value of the magazines is higher for less experienced woodworkers (of which I am one). I get FWW and Wood. Occasionally I'll pick up Woodcraft if I see it and it has something I'm interested in. I like the magazines just fine, but I think (also as noted above :) ) that buying the FWW DVD archive is the best thing I've done in a long time. There seems to be at least one article on everything I've ever thought to investigate.

Rick McQuay
10-04-2013, 12:24 AM
There was a British WW magazine that I used to pick up at a local newsstand that was fantastic. No projects or tips, just stories about master craftsmen, artists and lots of pictures. Haven't seen it around in ages, I think it was titled Woodwork or similar. The problem with most American media is that it panders to the lowest common denominator, unfortunately our WW mags are no exception.

Bill Clark De
10-04-2013, 6:44 AM
+1 on Woodsmith & shop notes both for different reasons ..been there and done the others- not so much informative mostly too too too much commercial pages...
This site in concert with a few other wood site offers all the information i can absorb (gleam)..

Having said that i also strongly recommend being a contributor . The luxury of subscribing here is unlimited knowledge and views ..Perhaps the most desirable benefit as you gleam the information you may take what you can use---- and if some one decides to flame.. just lift you middle finer high in the air and hit your delete key,,, seems to work for me and i havent spent $6 + for paper...

Adrian Anguiano
10-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Heres my take based on ones ive had subscriptions to:
Woodsmith: Beginner Level Tips/Articles - Great Plans IF you actually like the project. I never liked any of their projects. After a yr of woodworking experience, I didnt get anything from the magazine.

Shopnotes: Beginner to Intermediate Level Tips/Articles - Was great at first for making jigs, Graet plans, but gets repetitive and the same info were in other magazines. Unsubscribed after a yr.

Wood: Beginner to Intermediate Level Tips/Articles. I liked their projects better than woodsmith, especially summer outdoor plans. But they cater to DIY people, and projects arent fine woodworking. You will never see a dovetail mentioned in the magazine, or curly maple.

FineWoodworking: Intermediate to Advanced. I liked their tool reviews and articles, which the others lack. They do good use comparisons. Good plans, I enjoyed their projects more than Shopnotes or Woodsmith. Articles spanning many subjects that are more than basic skills repeated over and over. They include jigs and such, but only a few pages which is good for those who have seen them often. It is pricey, but i cancelled my other magazines and now only get this.

Howard Acheson
10-09-2013, 2:01 PM
I think you should look at Woodsmith and Shop Notes too. Both of them are good magazines.
What are you looking for in a magazine? Each of them delivers a different flavor in my opinion.

I agree Ralph. Both are top notch and focus strictly on woodworking. They carry no advertizing. The first was Woodsmith which was successful and Shop Notes followed a couple of yeary later. Woodsmith focuses on furniture projects while Shop Notes focuses on jigs, fixtures and shop tools.

The August Home company hosts the well regarded forum WoodNet forum (Google it for the URL) and hosts the only TV Woodworking show.

Prashun Patel
10-09-2013, 2:34 PM
I'm still a fan of FWW - the online version. The online subscription gives you access to past content, as well as digital access to the current issue, online extras and all kinds of videos. If you're an archiver, then you can always print the noteworthy articles, or just save them as pdf's.

It's not long on step-by-step instruction on the basics, but is good on how-they-did it for more complicated elements. I also find it an excellent source of design inspiration.

I find the comparison reviews very useful (eg., what's the best bench chisel).

While ShopNotes is ostensibly about building shop tools and storage, it does open your eyes to using functional hardware and to working with other media like metal or leather. These are useful skills that can take some projects to the next level.

I find Wood magazine best for detailed plans of things that look like they were built from detailed plans.

I don't like any of these magazines for new tool reviews. They feel too celebratory.

Jeff Morton
10-09-2013, 3:16 PM
I subscribe to FWW's online version, which costs the same as the print version. It saves on space and I can access most all of the articles they have ever published. I agree with others that most of the current pubs cater to less-experienced woodworkers, but there is such a wealth of information on the Internet, unless you have a favorite pub, there is little reason to subscribe. Just pick up issues of interest. If you find yourself buying most of them, it might be time to subscribe.

ryan carlino
10-10-2013, 12:40 PM
I just got an ad in the mail for 2 years of PWW for $18. That's really cheap, so I went for it. With so much online content, a printed magazine isn't super useful to me and is just creating recycling waste. It's fun to look at the pictures, though.

Myk Rian
10-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Just curious what the favorites are in woodworking magazines...
The ones you get for free online, if you know where to look.

Pat Barry
10-10-2013, 12:48 PM
I like FWW and the biggest reason is the back cover and master class articles and the reader projects which are a great source for project inspiration. I love the magazine for those times (airplane travel, sitting on the toilet, hotel room time killing, bedtime reading) when its not very practical to stare at a computer screen - I mean at some point enough is enough of that. for the past couple years though, this site has become my primary source for lots of inspiration and practical advice.