PDA

View Full Version : Cross-cut bandsaw sled

Col Smith
09-28-2013, 9:45 PM
G'day all,

Have seen several threads for ripping logs on a bandsaw, but only a couple on cross-cutting logs.

Has anyone made a sled, or seen plans for one ?

Any advice would be appreciated

Col

Tai Fu
09-29-2013, 4:19 AM
A bandsaw just isn't ideal for crosscutting... you're limited by throat length for one thing... Unless you have a 30" bandsaw or something.

Prashun Patel
09-29-2013, 7:36 AM
I would be wary if cross cutting logs on a bandsaw. The blade will try very hard to roll the log which can be very dangerous and can mangle your blade. I much prefer a chainsaw for this.

whereas a cross cutting sked on a tablesaw has a high fence to connect decks on both sides. Of the blade, no such fence could be constructed on a bandsaw because the blade goes too high.

Erik Loza
09-29-2013, 8:39 AM
Agree with Tai and with Prashun: It can be sketchy and is really not the right job for a bandsaw, unless it were a huge one and even then...

My colleague Sam, who uses bandsaws for everything, has one of his MM24's set up with a crosscut fence so that he can use it like a chop saw (flip stops), but that is just for lumber and so on, not huge stuff. A chainsaw would really be the better tool on logs.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Col Smith
09-29-2013, 9:05 PM
Thanks guys. Although my bandsaw will take 17' logs I only intend to cross-cut up to 6' logs max.
The bandsaw is an antique, with a cast iron base, had to get a block & tackle to get it off my trailer.

Col

Rick Potter
09-29-2013, 9:33 PM
If I understand what you are thinking of, I would suggest a sled that rides in the miter gage, and has a V shaped holder, with screws you could put into the log to keep it from turning?? The hard part is if you wanted more than one slice to match others. Perhaps a two layer bottom, with one layer that would slide sideways. You could get a couple cuts out of it that way.

If I am way off base, consider what you paid for my answer ;).

Rick Potter

Michael Peet
09-29-2013, 9:42 PM
I recall an old thread in which Creeker Mark Singer made one:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?43101-12-foot-Wenge-dining-table&p=438268#post438268

Mike

John Schweikert
09-29-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm assuming you meant inches and not feet.

Thanks guys. Although my bandsaw will take 17' logs I only intend to cross-cut up to 6' logs max.
The bandsaw is an antique, with a cast iron base, had to get a block & tackle to get it off my trailer.

Col