PDA

View Full Version : New Fence Recommendations

Walt Pater
05-31-2005, 9:51 PM
The fence on my otherwise trusty workhorse of a saw has broken, beyond repair. Here's how I made it through the day.
http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20079&stc=1

Any chance of a replacement fence system for under $300.00? The table is 27" X 44", more or less.

Attaches like this, 7 1/2" centers:
http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20080&stc=1

Thanks Walt

Marc Hills
05-31-2005, 10:17 PM
Psst, Walt?

Hear that swishing sound? That's the sound of hand planes. Try your question upstairs in the general woodworking forum. Lot's more electron burners up there. ;)

Ebay is a wonderful thing. Not only can you often find various fence and rail systems inexpensively, but haunt it long enough and you might be able to get an exact replacement. Although if that clamped stop block at the rear of your fence is any indication, you might want to look beyond OEM equipment.

Tim Sproul
05-31-2005, 10:50 PM
Any chance of a replacement fence system for under $300.00? The table is 27" X 44", more or less.

Take a look at Mulecab.com

I got the bandsaw fence and will get the tablesaw fence if I can make-up my mind to getter more than 30 inches of fence capacity. IIRC, 50 inch capacity tablesaw fence was $250.

Walt Pater
06-01-2005, 5:45 AM
Sorry to post on the Neander Board

Jamie Buxton
06-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Ummm...while we're making recommendations here, I'd recommend you cover the live wires visible at the bottom of the second photo. We'd like to continue to have you around the Creek.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-01-2005, 10:39 AM
The main power cord coming in also has a clamp on it, but the clamp isn't in the saw. Over time the vibration of that cord against the sharp metal of the saw will wear through. It could be another electrical hazzard. While the TS is down for the fence replacement may be a good time to address those two issues.

Good luck!

Alan Mikkelsen
06-01-2005, 10:55 AM
While I currently use a Biesemeyer fence, I used a Mulecab Accusquare fence for many years and it was a totally satisfactory fence. It will also fit your budget. My son has it and the saw it was on now and I trust it will last him most of his life. The Accusquare is easy to mount, adjust and make jigs for. Once I got it set, I never had to tweak it again.

Dave Brandt
06-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Vega! Simple installation and dead-on accurate.

Lee Schierer
06-01-2005, 11:49 AM
I installed a Beismeyer 30" commercial fence on my saw a number of years ago. It has been great. I have no complaints. Installation took less than 1/2 hour. Set up took almost 2 minutes. I've rechecked it several times for square since then and it has never needed readjustment.

I just saw it at a site for $299. In my opinion you can't go wrong with it.

Lee

Tim Morton
06-01-2005, 12:14 PM
40" home version of the Beisemeyer is $289 at amazon with free shipping and $25 off thats makes it $264. Oh and BTW..I agree, that wiring looks REALLY scary:confused: Get it fixed.

Jerry Clark
06-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Should have a cover on that mag switch box also.:cool: Good Luck!

Bill Lewis
06-01-2005, 1:33 PM
You can probably find a direct replacement for your fence on ebay. The one you have looks identical to the one I had on my Contractors saw. I've seen them sell there for under $200. I've also seen parts of these fences being sold there. It's not a bad fence, but it isn't as good as some of the ones people have already listed.

scott spencer
06-01-2005, 3:59 PM
Hi Walt - The Vega is a very nice fence that's easy to install and easy to use...it also a very effective microadjustment. Amazon has them starting ~ $230 delivered.

The Shop Fox Aluma Classic that comes on their new contractor saws is a good clone of the Biese Homeshop fence. It has aluminum clad faces with t-slots mounted to a steel fence tube and has steel rails. Also about $230 delivered.

Fred Ray
06-01-2005, 4:49 PM
Ummm...while we're making recommendations here, I'd recommend you cover the live wires visible at the bottom of the second photo. We'd like to continue to have you around the Creek.
AMEN, AMEN, and AMEN!! not only do you have live volts right at your knee, that certainly appears to be a magnetic motor starter. Therefore, every time you start or stop that saw, you have an arc between the contacts of the starter. And, you have a pile of sawdust already accumulated on top of the enclosure -- no telling how much is inside just waiting to be ignited by the arcing contacts. Think Safety First, new fence second

Walt Pater
06-01-2005, 7:24 PM
Exposed live wires? What a relief! I thought you all were going to take me to task about the mess in my shop. :)
Every one of you who has pointed this out is 100% correct, and I deserve a good talking-to about my bad shop habits. But thanks for the info. about fences. I'll post once I fix the electric.
I feel a little embarrassed. :(

Tim Morton
06-01-2005, 9:25 PM
Exposed live wires? What a relief! I thought you all were going to take me to task about the mess in my shop. :)

wanna see my shop? how about my garage right now? I thought your shop looked clean:D:D

Tim Marks
06-02-2005, 5:45 AM
two words: dust collector.

The $150 I spent on an HFDC made all the difference in the world. MY shop floor used to look like yours.