PDA

View Full Version : holdfast vacuum chuck system

charlie knighton
09-28-2013, 4:32 PM
anybody use this system sold by craft supplies #104-527

Thom Sturgill
09-28-2013, 5:29 PM
Charlie, I don't have their chuck, I built my own. I do have the vacuum generator (an older version that they sell an upgrade kit for) and adapter and they worked well. Well enough that I cracked one bowl when I did not watch the gauge. My only problem was that at the time I used a loud pancake compressor that was under the table I had my midi mounted on. I have heard good reports on the chucks but I like JT turning tools vacuum adapter better and their chucks get excellent reviews.

Roger Chandler
09-28-2013, 5:44 PM
Charlie........I have the Hold Fast Vacuum system.........I purchased two chuck heads with it....one a six inch and one 3 inch...........the system works great I also purchased the vacuum seal for these heads from Rubber Chucky products.......did not need to, but I think it is a better seal all around and they make for a nice, over the edge seal which does not mar the finish or wood.

I have a 5 hp, 25 gal compressor which works well with the HoldFast system..........you can run if off a pancake compressor if needed, but it will cycle more frequently with a smaller compressor.

charlie knighton
09-28-2013, 7:11 PM
Roger . i have the hot dog compressor from hf, it would seem to be powerful enough, just its going to recyle some, porbably need to wear some ear plugs, seems it would work well with my cairn boxes, i really hate working around the tailstock

the cracking problem, is that from too much vacuum pressure, or what, Thom?

Josh Bowman
09-28-2013, 7:45 PM
I've using one of these for the past 2 years and really like it. I only paid half the current amount.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vacuum-Drum-Chuck-head-for-wood-turning-lathe-Jet-Grizzly-Delta-Oneway-turner-/190781922339?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2c6b7d1c23