PDA

View Full Version : New Grizzly G0691 needs a new blade

Jeremy Ferguson
09-28-2013, 2:53 PM
My new Grizzly G0691 is scheduled for delivery on Monday and I need a blade for it. So, do I get the Woodworker II, the Freud Premier Fusion, or the Infinity Super General? They all seem to get the same good reviews with the occasional preference for one or the other. If they are all pretty much comparable, do I just pick one and go with it? I am leaning towards either the Forrest or the Freud simply because I have a 10% coupon for Woodcraft. That would bring the Freud in the cheapest. For now most of my cutting will be sheet goods and some hardwood but nothing thick.

Bill Whig
09-28-2013, 2:59 PM
My new Grizzly G0691 is scheduled for delivery on Monday and I need a blade for it. So, do I get the Woodworker II, the Freud Premier Fusion, or the Infinity Super General? They all seem to get the same good reviews with the occasional preference for one or the other. If they are all pretty much comparable, do I just pick one and go with it? I am leaning towards either the Forrest or the Freud simply because I have a 10% coupon for Woodcraft. That would bring the Freud in the cheapest. For now most of my cutting will be sheet goods and some hardwood but nothing thick. Related question (from a newbe). Is it better to buy one of these, or buy 3 "good" Freud blades (one for ripping, one for crosscutting, and one with fine teeth for cutting veneered goods)? Have one blade would be more convenient, but ... ? Thanks! Bill Whig

scott spencer
09-29-2013, 6:27 AM
Related question (from a newbe). Is it better to buy one of these, or buy 3 "good" Freud blades (one for ripping, one for crosscutting, and one with fine teeth for cutting veneered goods)? Have one blade would be more convenient, but ... ? Thanks! Bill Whig

It depends on how you define "better". If "better" means versatile convenience with "good nuff" performance, then a 40T general purpose blade is the way to go. If "better" means faster easier rips with less burning, cleaner fine crosscuts and ply cuts with the added cost of buying multiple blades and burden of changing blades for every task, then good quality separates are obviously going to outperform in their narrow operating range.

With that said, the Super General is the cleanest cutting 40T or 50T all purpose blade I've used so far....it also has larger carbide than the WWII or Fusion. The WWII rips a bit more efficiently than either, but the Super General leaves a more highly polished edge and less tearout.

Buying blades isn't so different than buying tires....it all depends on what you do and how you like to do it.

Jim Tabor
09-29-2013, 10:19 AM
Why not try the blade that comes with the G0690? I was surprised at how well the 40T GP blade that came with my Grizzly 1023 cuts. I stopped buying $80-$120 blades and started buying $25 Oshlun blades from Carbide Processors, a far better deal, IMHO.

Tom Willoughby
09-29-2013, 11:32 AM
I did a hybrid approach and used a WWII 30T all purpose blade for most cuts. This blade is on the saw 90% of the time. It does a good job at ripping functions and the occasional cross cut. I have a compound miter saw that I use for cross cuts and it provides a clean cut.

I also have a dedicated plywood blade and another general 40T blade for cutting MDF and other things that would be tough on the "good" blade.

I still have to change blades occasionally but less than if I had a dedicated crosscut and ripping blade.

Tom

Jeremy Ferguson
09-29-2013, 1:04 PM
There is one other I forgot to mention, the Ridge Carbide Ts2000. Thats actually the one I ended up ordering today. I'm sure I would have been more than happy with any of the choices.