PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Price Increases on G0690 TS

Bill Whig
09-28-2013, 1:21 PM
I have been watching the G0690 at Grizzly and I think I have observed two significant price increases this year. The price of this saw is up to $1402 plus $150 shipping. Surely, I am not complaining (only whining a little) as they are free to price their products as they see fit. Anything in particular contributing towards this? Bill

Stephen Cherry
09-28-2013, 2:08 PM
I like the griz, and many of their products, and most of all their customer service and commitment to the woodworking hobby, so my guess is that they increased their price because they need to make a little money.

That said, I don't really like some of the tactics sawstop has used to mandate their product, BUT if I was looking at the a cabinet saw, with it's inherent safety issues, I'd plop down the extra money to get into the sawstop. And the higher the griz goes, the more likely I'd be to have the extra safety feature.

Jim Andrew
09-28-2013, 2:20 PM
You know that Grizzly products are made in Taiwan and China, and the way the Federal Reserve has been creating money from thin air, is making the US dollar lose value every month. I'm frankly very surprised that Grizzly has been able to keep their products as low priced as they have.

Bill Whig
09-28-2013, 2:54 PM
That said, I don't really like some of the tactics sawstop has used to mandate their product, BUT if I was looking at the a cabinet saw, with it's inherent safety issues, I'd plop down the extra money to get into the sawstop. And the higher the griz goes, the more likely I'd be to have the extra safety feature. Yes, the "relative price" hasn't been lost on me either. As Jim Andrew points out, there is the "inflated dollar" too. I think most businesses have been reluctant to similarly inflate their employee pay rates to match. It will be "interesting" to watch what the future brings! Bill Whig

Ken Fitzgerald
09-28-2013, 3:21 PM
First,

I suspect increased costs of shipping may have more to do with some of the price increases. Most ships use oil products for fuel.

Secondly, recent reports I have read indicate the workers in China are enjoying better wages. This will add to the increased prices.

Then I will remind everyone that politics, political discussions and political comments are not allowed at SMC. Too many find it difficult to discuss economics without making political comments.

Richard McComas
09-28-2013, 3:52 PM
What isn't going up these days??

Stephen Cherry
09-28-2013, 3:57 PM
Then I will remind everyone that politics, political discussions and political comments are not allowed at SMC. Too many find it difficult to discuss economics without making political comments.

Trying to keep on the acceptable side of this Ken!

My big point is that as everybody gets closer in price, the saw stop becomes a no brainer. Now imagine if the griz and sawstop could come to some sort of agreement, the ability to hold a bottom line combined with the safety technology. Throw in a good riving knife, and overarm dust collection, That's where EVERYBODY becomes a winner.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-28-2013, 5:14 PM
Stephen,

When you look at it and compare apple to apples or rather 3HP to 3HP, the price difference is double the price so it really is a significant difference and it has nothing to do with the increase in price of the Grizzly.

This thread is about the price increases in the Grizzly and reasons for it. It is not meant to be another SawStop endorsement.

Jim Andrew
09-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Ken, I stated facts, not political opinion.

Bill Whig
09-28-2013, 11:02 PM
Ken, I stated facts, not political opinion.

He knows that. He just said that "Many find it difficult...", as in "Watch yourselves..." :)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-29-2013, 12:45 AM
Jim,

What you consider facts could be considered political.

I am just giving a friendly reminder/warning.

scott spencer
09-29-2013, 6:15 AM
You know that Grizzly products are made in Taiwan and China, and the way the Federal Reserve has been creating money from thin air, is making the US dollar lose value every month. I'm frankly very surprised that Grizzly has been able to keep their products as low priced as they have.

Ditto. There are, or have been a few nearly identical saws on the market that appear to come from the same plant (Oliver, Baleigh, Laguna, Craftex, Harvey), and Grizzly is still the lowest priced option for this particular saw. No dealer markup, shorter warranty.