PDA

View Full Version : Computer question - HDMI from PC to TV

Craig D Peltier
09-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Hi, I took a HDMI cord and ran it from pc to my receiver. The only HDMI port on back of PC was one for the monitor. So when I plug it into the monitor input, and changed the plug on monitor to a VGA. I only see some file folders and programs on my screen page. Then on my TV, im not sure o there all there or not but at least some are. I alos cant see my cursor on my pc but I can see it on my TV. Im running windows 7. Thats one issue im not sure how to fix.
The other is, the sound from the file im playing on my tv comes out of the PC, unless I go to back of PC and unplug the PC speakers, then it comes out of surround sound at TV. So is there a way to not to have to do that?
Do newer PCS have a separate HDMI port that is not for the monitor only? Or is that where it needs to be plugged into anyhow and should I just split that signal with a HDMI splitter? I just want to be able to watch videos from my PC on my TV. I know newer PCS have HDMi and Wifi they are advertising nowadays. Not sure if that will help with what im trying to do.

Myk Rian
09-29-2013, 9:29 AM
You have to adjust your desktop sharing/dual desktops.
I don't think it's all worth the trouble.

Greg R Bradley
09-29-2013, 10:09 AM
From your description, it sounds like your computer found a new Video Device and a new Audio Device.

On a typical computer, a HDMI port will be designed for a monitor. Since it seems your computer monitor is connected to another port, I'm guessing that Windows 7 just found another display device and set up dual montors. I think you are seeing part of your desktop on your regular monitor and part on the TV.

HDMI carries both video and audio so when you connected that you gained the additional video device (TV) and additional audio device (TV sound system).

Just go into Control Panel>Display>Adjust Resolution and configure the Displays the way you want. You can get to the same place by RightClick on Desktop and choosing Screen Resolution.

Go into Control Panel>Sound and configure the audio to go out your preferred Playback Device.